Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1, which was really good ("There will be no eating of teammates."), and G.I. Joe: Cobra #1-3. People who know me know that I don't just pick up and read a G.I. Joe comic. I've never been into them, and I was never even into the toys, really. But the guys on iFanboy really recommended this book, saying it doesn't feel like a Joe book at all. And it really doesn't. It's a lot more like a Queen and Country story. One of the guys (in the Hawaiian shirt) goes undercover, and it's an extremely good spy story so far. Cobra nor G.I. Joe (I believe) have never been mentioned in this book, but some of the characters have. VERY highly recommended!

Views: 29100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dynamite has the rights to Vampirella.

Dark Horse has published Creepy and Eerie Archives reprinting the Warren material.  And also (I think) a Creepy magazine with new material.

Warrant publishes The Creeps magazine which is basically a Warren tribute book that features new work by many of the classic Warren creators.

"The Creeps Magazine has just started to be distributed by Diamond..."

It was an article about The Creeps in Comic Shop News that put me in the mood to read Creepy in the first place. I plan to seek out issue #5 (the first to be distributed by Diamond) and, if I like it, I'll likely seek out the backissues as well.

"Warrant publishes The Creeps magazine which is basically a Warren tribute book that features new work by many of the classic Warren creators."

One of its creators uses the name "Art Godwin" (or something similar). the publisher is cagey about whether or not that's his real name or a pseudonym.

Either way, between Art Godwin, Warrant, and The Creeps, it does seem that they are showing that this is not an original idea, but it is an idea that deserves to live again.

Jeff of Earth-J said

One of its creators uses the name "Art Godwin" (or something similar). the publisher is cagey about whether or not that's his real name or a pseudonym.

KING KONG by Donald Simpson: This six-issue series from 1991 is adapted from the screenplay, not the movie. I just last week read the original novelization (also written from the screenplay) and watched the movie, so the differences are fresh in my mind. Simpson is an excellent cartoonist, and this adaptation is slightly on the “cartoony” side of the spectrum. That didn’t appeal to me in 1991, but I absolutely love it today. Simpson takes some liberties with the script (scene order, etc.) but all of the changes he made make for a better comic book.

Oddly, the ship, Venture in the movie and Wanderer in the paperback, is named Vastator in the comic. Also like the book, there is no Charlie (the Chinese cook), but rather Lumpy, and Simpson has given Lumpy a slight resemblance to Popeye. Otherwise, none of the characters look they the actors who played them on the screen, but they are all distinctive and look their respective parts. The legendary “spider” scene is included, and I do suspect Simpson took some direction from the filmed version.

The pages are numbered sequentially from issue to issue, but as far as I know it has never been collected. Highly recommended.

Unlike the King Kong limited series (discussed yesterday), this one-shot (as one may infer from the title) is designed specifically to invoke the movie version, and what an excellent job it does! It is a perfect translation of the movie screen to the comic book page. The painted artwork, by Den Beauvais, is phenomenal. It is in color, but it uses mostly subdued tones, gloomy and moody, like the black and white film upon which it is based. Highly recommended.

I’m not sure how much of this story is true and how much is fiction. Definitely true are the historical aspects of the story. Definitely fictional are the supernatural aspects of the story. Kind of “iffy” are the assertions of how much Mary Shelley was influenced by the experiments of Johann Dipple. Did she really stop by the place of his birth, Castle Frankenstein, on her way to Lake Geneva by coach in 1814? this "graphic novella" by Warren Ellis posits that she did. While there, her own future fictional creation, the creature, not only shows her around the house, but takes her on visits to the past and future as well. This is some pretty far out stuff which I would recommend to fans of Vertigo in general and fans of Warren Ellis specifically.

Read more about Johann Dipple and the story behind the story here.

That's one heck of a belly button.

Somehow I wasn't aware of this. I just ordered it!

Cool! Be sure to let me know what you think.

“PING PONG!”:

There’s nothing like reading non-EC horror to make one appreciate EC horror.

There’s nothing like reading non-Marvel super-heroes to make one appreciate Marvel.*

And there’s nothing like reading non-MAD humor mags to make on appreciate Mad.**

(Hmm… That’s a pretty eclectic mix from me for the last three days if I do say so myself.)

*(Of the ‘60s.)
**(Of the ‘50s.)

“The Return of the Monster” was originally published in Marvel Tales (first series) #96, but I read it in WMD #32. An American journalist investigating the legend of Frankenstein’s monster meets Nina Frankenstein, the last of the line. Her father has been captured by agents of an unfriendly government who want to force him to reveal the secret of the monster so they can create a race of super-soldiers. Apparently, the secret is passed to only male descendants of the Frankenstein line, so Nina is clueless. The elder Frankenstein dies, but does revive the monster who kills the foreign agents. The journalist and Nina escape.

This story cannot be reconciled with Marvel’s 1970s creature continuity, unless (as I do with the movies), one care to postulate this is a different monster created by another descendant. Typical 1950s fare.

PLANET OF THE APES: After re-reading Pierre Boulle’s Planet of the Apes I decided to follow it up with the six-part comic book adaptation of the movie before moving on to the novelization of Beneath the Planet of the Apes. I have really gotten a lot of mileage out of this series over the years. When I first started buying it (with #3 off the stands) I was primarily interested in the movie adaptations; in a few years, I started giving the “Terror on the Planet of the Apes” serial by Doug Moench and Mike Ploog a critical look; sometimes it’s the other original premises which interest me; finally, I got around to reading all (not just some) of the articles. Now my interests have come full circle and I’m back to reading the movie adaptations again.
BRONZE AGE JLA: I bought the omnibus (reprinting #77-113) last week and already I’m enjoying it more than I expected to (and that’s saying something because I expected to enjoy it quite a bit). I had to back up to #71 to get a running start into it, but after consulting my JLA checklist, I see I’m missing more of the issues from this run than I thought. I am reading many of these stories for the first time.

CREEPY: Still moving forward, finished with volume two.

Jeff,

I'm reading through this one too - I love it! I only started with the JLA at about the point where this one finishes so most of it is new to me although feels nostalgic.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

BRONZE AGE JLA: I bought the omnibus (reprinting #77-113) last week and already I’m enjoying it more than I expected to (and that’s saying something because I expected to enjoy it quite a bit). I had to back up to #71 to get a running start into it, but after consulting my JLA checklist, I see I’m missing more of the issues from this run than I thought. I am reading many of these stories for the first time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service