Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 48062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have overextended myself again.

The Brave and the Bold: Starting with issue #50, the team-ups.

Strange Tales: #142-168. (Many of these issues I have not read.)

Captain America: #149-168. (I got rid of most of this run in college.)

Monsters!: Lee/Leiber/Kirby monsters in commission order.

Star-Lord: My third time through this mash-up of a series in 15 years.

Ultraman: Manga.

Creepy: Temporarily supplanted by…

The Walking Dead: Volume 13

The Legion of Regrettable Super-Heroes: Spectacular Sisterhood of Super-Heroes waiting on deck.

Details to follow in the days ahead.

There's a good interview with the author of the League of Regrettable Super-Heroes on Wordballoon.

I've got a lot of back issues to read that I picked up at East Coast Comicon -- just read an old Secret Society of Super Villains issue last night. (And if that wasn't a catch-all series, nothing was! There's literally a scene of Trickster (who appeared in the previous issue) showing up at a fight scene to steal an artifact, but then seeing all the commotion and turning tail (I'm pretty sure never to be seen again in the series). A (remarkably sane) Creeper takes his leave this issue, too. Anyone from the DCU drops in for a moment, then usually zips away just as quickly. 

But also, I realized I never read the entirety of the Sandman prelude series from a couple of years ago, trailing off because of the delays. So now that I've wrapped up my re-read of American Gods, it's my next Gaiman! I read the first two this morning, and its lush and wondrous as I remember.  

Oh, crap. I typed that wrong again. I meant to type Legion of Regrettable Super-Villains.

The Legion of Regrettable Super-Heroes I give an A.

The Legion of Regrettable Super-Villains is not quite as good. I’d give it an A- or a B+. It’s written by the same guy and the format and sense of humor is the same, but the material is not as good (i.e., the villains are not as joke-worthy as the heroes). Also, the entries a shorter overall. The LORSH had a mix of 2- and 3- page entries, but the LORSV is mostly 2-page entries.

The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superheroes is by the same publisher and the trade dress is similar (except it has an acetate overlay dustjacket), but it’s written by a different author. The entry format is a little different and I think it’s more serious than the other two. I can’t really say, though, because I haven’t started reading it yet.

As with LORSH, I’m reading LORSV jusr a few entries at a time. When I’m finished, I’ll move on to SSOS.

Hit:1957
Bryce Carlson (Author); Vanesa R Del Rey (Illustrator)
BOOM! Studios, 2016

Hit: 1955 was a great crime noir miniseries about a hit squad operating within the Los Angeles Police Force. As the title says, this sequel takes place two years later. Detective Harvey Slater and his hit squad are still working on underworld infiltration of L.A.--one of the first scenes is a massacre at a nightclub. Femme fatale Bonnie Brae had escaped to the idyllic coastal city of San Clemente (I wonder if the writer was thinking about President Nixon's "Western White House" which was later located there). But the gangster Domino kidnaps her and takes her to Las Vegas, so in time the squad travels there and hatches an elaborate rescue plan. Things do not go according to plan (wouldn't be a proper noir if they did). This story did not appeal to me as much as the first miniseries, but it's still good noir. The collection includes a short prose story that details what happened to the squad member who got shot during the rescue, which fills in a part of the story only implied in the comic. Mention should also be made of Del Rey's creative layouts. Most of the pages use a strict panel layout (although it varies from page to page). But occasionally she breaks things up with pages that flow more freely, without panel lines.

DOCTOR STRANGE (Strange Tales #142-146): As I mentioned recently, I had completed my collections of Avengers, Captain America and Hulk by the time I graduated high school. Throughout college I set about completing my collections of others series. When I graduated (I remember specifically) I was in the midst of filling holes in Strange Tales. My fill was kind of spotty, so I wasn’t necessarily reading them at the time. After graduating college, I stopped collecting back issues for the most part.

Years later, Marvel Masterworks filled all the holes in my collection, but the last time I read Doctor Strange (a couple of years ago), I started with Strange Tales #169, when Doctor Strange took over the title. That still left MMW v2, reprinting #142-168, most of which I had never read. I had been saving this in reserve like a squirrel hiding nuts until the need arose to read some “new” old Marvel comics. I have read and re-read the stories in volume one until I know them backwards and forwards. So far I’ve read the first five stories in MMW v2, the last of the Ditko ones.

What I really can’t believe is why Marvel didn’t include those five 10-pagers in volume one. That way, all of the Ditko stories would have been contained in a single volume. What’s more, #141 ended in a cliffhanger, and #146 brought the arc to a logical stopping point: “THE END… AT LAST!” I’m going to stop, briefly I hope, to catch up on some of those “reading projects” I mentioned here yesterday. When I’ve finished some of those, I will resume Doctor Strange with the post-Ditko Strange Tales.

The Brave & the Bold (#50, 51, 53, 56, 59): I so much enjoyed The Bronze Age JLA Omnibus that I picked up The Bronze Age Brave & Bold Omnibus. I also have two (soon to be three) volumes of Jim Aparo Batman stories, mostly from B&B. (There is a small amount of overlap between the omnibus and the first of the Aparo volumes.) I thought these three (some to be four) volumes would make a good reading project. In addition, I also have one volume of the Brave & the Bold Archives which concentrates on the team-ups, so I thought I’d start with that one first.

I’ve had the B&B archive since it was published, and although I’ve read several of those stories elsewhere, I’ve never read the archive from cover to cover. As a matter of fact, I didn’t do so now, either. I skipped #52 (Sgt. Rock et al) and #54 (proto-Teen Titans) in anticipation of future reading projects; I skipped #55 (Atom & Metal Men) because I don’t like the Metal Men; DC skipped #57-58 (Metamorpho) because those issues did not conform to the “team-up” theme.

That left team-ups between Green Arrow & Martian Manhunter, Aquaman & Hawkman, Atom & Flash, Martian Manhunter & Flash, and Batman & Green Lantern. I’m a pretty big fan of the Silver Age JLA; it was the first DC series collection I completed. You can’t ever read a story for the first time twice, and the modern stories set in this time frame never quite capture the feel of those eras. These old B&B team-ups, though, are like “untold tales” of, if not the JLA, then of JLA members. Soon I will move on to the B&B omnibus.

I read Teen Titans 50 last night -- the introduction of Titans West, by Bob Rozakis and Don Heck.

Some thoughts:

a) It's weird to see the Titans complaining about the Long Island Rail Road. But everyone else does, so why not? Rozakis was definitely drawing from experience there.

b) It's also weird to see the Titans wonder about which colleges they would go to. Kid Flash worries about paying for it; Donna wants to head to a West Coast college with a beach.

c) Also weird: Harlequin is on the team. Even in these days of Harley Quinn, Superhero, it's odd to see someone dressed so much like the Joker not have everyone running for the exits.

d) Beast Boy's name of the SF TV show he was on was Tork! I guess it's appropriate that he's named after a Monkee. His producer, named "J.S.," looks to be modeled on Julius Schwartz.

e) Did we ever find out how Charlie Parker (Golden Eagle) got his Thanagarian wings back after his appearance in JLA? I'm sure we did, but the editor only promises that they'll get around to telling us. And considering the title was canceled in 3 more issues...

f) There's a whole page spent on Charlie getting stiffed by a customer at a gas station he works at,, and then getting chewed out by his boss. There was so much focus on this that I thought the brutish guy who stiffed him was Gnarkk.

g) Aqualad apparently gets moody when he hangs out with the Titans. (I think this is later used to write him out of the book; he has a bad reaction to pollution in the surface world or something.)

h) it's so weird that Mal Duncan had two concurrent costumed identities -- Hornblower and The Guardian. Bumblebee much prefers his Hornblower ID. 

70s JLA spoiler warnings.

In Justice League of America #109 Hawkman's mission on Earth ended, and he and Hawkgirl returned to Thanagar. The Golden Eagle issue, #116, was a teaser for Hawkman's return in #117. (The title was a bimonthly for a period and returned to monthly status at the time of Hawkman's return, so he was gone just over a year.)

Charlie became the Golden Eagle because the Matter Master's wand changed him into a pseudo-Hawkman with actual wings. He could change between his normal and Golden Eagle forms. He was returned to normal at #116's end.

Charlie appeared again in #117. He minds the JLA satellite while the JLA head off into space, and to my surprise he was present at the end of the issue when Hawkman is readmitted into the League.

Originally it was thought that Charley would take on the Snapper Carr role in the mid-70s JLA but he was quickly dropped.

In Teen Titans #50, Charley says that Hawkman gave him a pair of wings and anti-gravity belt so that he could continue as the Golden Eagle, implying a mentor relationship that we never saw.

Charlie Parker? That can't be an accident.

They spelt his name "Charley" (I missed this above), obviously so the names wouldn't be identical.

Thanks, Luke & Philip! I missed the second editorial note saying "See? Here's the promised explanation!" and I assumed he was referring to Hawkman giving him wings from the beginning, and he'd lost them. I didn't know anything about his real origin & the Molecule Master. 

And yeah, Charlie or Charley, he's still Bird.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service