Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1, which was really good ("There will be no eating of teammates."), and G.I. Joe: Cobra #1-3. People who know me know that I don't just pick up and read a G.I. Joe comic. I've never been into them, and I was never even into the toys, really. But the guys on iFanboy really recommended this book, saying it doesn't feel like a Joe book at all. And it really doesn't. It's a lot more like a Queen and Country story. One of the guys (in the Hawaiian shirt) goes undercover, and it's an extremely good spy story so far. Cobra nor G.I. Joe (I believe) have never been mentioned in this book, but some of the characters have. VERY highly recommended!

Views: 28996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought all of the Alan Moore Swamp Thing TPBs but so far have only read the first volume.

I enjoyed the Wein/Wrightson Swamp Thing back in the day. When Wrightson* left I also enjoyed the Nestor Redondo art and the David Michelinie writing following Wein.

* His dog-like leg on a werewolf was the first time I saw this. I'm pretty sure he originated this look, which has been used in comics and movies ever since.

I have read the early Moore stuff multiple times, but the issues comprising "American Gothic" and beyond ony once. I'm looking forward to reading those for a second time, but it'll take me a while to get there.

I am recalling so much detail of the Wein Wrigthson issues I had forgotten.

I read the Wein/Redondo stuff, once, back in 2009; I've never read the Michelinie stuff.

On thing about the omnibus collection: it includes Annual #1 (the movie adaptation), but I wish it included the Swamp Thing/Deadman issues of Challengers of the Unknown. As it is, the first series leaves off with Alex Holland restored to humanity, and the second series picks up with him a monster again, seemingly inexplicably.

JIM APARO BATMAN: Earlier this year the thought occurred to me that I hadn’t read any Batman in a while, and I decided to read the the-two-and-soon-to-be-three collections of stories drawn by “my” Batman artist, Jim Aparo. Most of his early DC work was done for The Brave & the Bold, so I decided to back up a bit prior to Aparo’s run and read another recent acquisition, the Brave & Bold Omnibus: The Bronze Age, which focuses on Batman team-ups. The end of that volume went 10 or so issues into Aparo’s run, but by the time I finished it, I was ready to take a break.

That was several weeks ago, and I’m ready to resume with Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vols. 1-3. Although it has been only weeks since I last read issues #98-109 (the duplicated issues), I decided to read them a second time, from an “Aparo” rather than a “Batman” POV. These are pretty good stories, and reading them again in such quick succession helps reinforce them in my memory. Soon I will move on to issues I have never before read.

Zomnibus Vol. 2

IDW Publishing, 2011

Continuing with the IDW omnibus horror collections I picked up at HeroesCon a couple of years ago: the Halloween season seemed a good time to finally dip into them. Got to love the title! Didn't see how I could go wrong at $5, so I bought both volumes on the same day.

"Everybody's Dead" (written by Brian Lynch, art by Dave Crosland, colors by Leonard O'Grady) is the five-issue miniseries that opens the collection. Most of the action takes place at a Halloween party hosted by a questionable college fraternity. The second page has the caption "This is the story of the last, best night on Earth," so Spoiler Alert: things do not turn out well. This is a real B-movie story, with fairly stereotypical character types: the nerd, the jock, an older guy who has been an eternal college student, and so on. Crosland draws the series in a simple cartoon style, prioritizing energy over detail. The cause of the zombie outbreak is unusual. What looks like some sort of meteor strike turns out to be a bomb, possibly military in origin. That is one story thread that remains unresolved at the end, but the action covers for it unless you really stop to think about it.

The Willows #1: This black and white comic from Floating World Comics was an interesting story. It was about two women who go canoeing on the Danube River. It is part horror story, part fantasy. They stop to camp on a sandbar that's about to be overtaken by the waters around it. Honestly, this was far too wordy to keep my interest, and I found out later that it is an adaptation of a short story by a guy named Algernon Blackwood. I'm unfamiliar with him. The good part of this is that the artwork by Sam Ford is extremely detailed, even if it's not quite up to professional level. This was worth a shot to me, but I'm not going to read the second half of this two-parter.

Coyotes #1: Now this, on the other hand, was amazing. It was written by Sean Lewis, whose work on The Few I loved. This is the story of a girl and her best friend who have been on the run from a pack of coyotes who--it actually makes sense--are actually people who have harmed their people in the past. They are a part of a group of orphan girls who are overseen by a woman who may or may not have their best interests at heart. The best part of this issue is that the artwork is awesome. It is by Caitlyn Yarsky, and man, she is a name to watch. I loved this issue, and I can't wait to read the next issue. It comes from Image.

The Willows is a classic story. The beings the characters keep referring to are elementals beings that are about to claim their souls when someone else is suddenly killed by the weather. This gives them time to escape while the unseen spirits take the body. He also wrote The Wendigo, which I believe was the first story written about the character.

Nice! I figured this was just a part of culture that I had no idea about. Thanks for the information.

Ronald Morgan said:

The Willows is a classic story. The beings the characters keep referring to are elementals beings that are about to claim their souls when someone else is suddenly killed by the weather. This gives them time to escape while the unseen spirits take the body. He also wrote The Wendigo, which I believe was the first story written about the character.

In the wee hours of this morning, I read the first four issues of Grass Kings from Boom Studios. It's written by Matt Kindt with art by Tyler Jenkins. It's about a small colony of separatists who have a murder case in their midst. So far so good. I love Jenkins's water color artwork--it's really pretty different from anything else out there.

Also, I read Image's Redlands #4, written by Jordi Bellaire and drawn by Vanessa Del Rey. This series continues to be a horror/mystery/thriller masterpiece.It takes place in rural Florida in the Everglades. It's about a group of witches (or something) that have infiltrated the law of the town. It's really interesting, and this issue introduced a couple characters that it took me a second to figure out. Highly recommended.

I picked up the Transmetropolitan: Back on the Street, which collects the first six issues of the series. 

I found it a chore to get through. I'm not as cynical as Warren Ellis; as noted elsewhere, my psyche can take his brand of cynicism only in limited doses, and I fear reading this volume has exhausted it. I just can't find much entertainment in a lead character such as Spider Jerusalem who is abrasive, foul-mouthed, profane, arrogant, cynical and sanctimonious, while being told everyone else is worse.

Other people enjoy it, sure, and good for them. It's not for me. 

I’m a week behind posting to this thread, but I haven’t even been to my LCS this week yet. Here’s what I recall from the comics I read last week.

KONG ON THE PLANET OF THE APES: Planet of the Apes crossover series range from the bad (Green Lantern) to the good (Star Trek) to the very good (Tarzan). I would rank the King Kong one (based on the first issue) among the “very good.” Boom’s regular King Kong series doesn’t have a strong tie to the 1933 movie, but the crossover ties to both the movie and the comics. I can’t tell if the comics are set sometime in the future or in the distant past, but they deal with a society of islanders and a race of giant apes. The story starts immediately after the first POTA movie. Ursus follows Taylor down the beach and finds the carcass of a giant female ape. I’m looking forward to seeing where this series goes from here.

That’s all I have time for right now, but I’ll try to be back from time to time throughout the day.

Read volume two of The Essential Spider-Man. The Gwen Stacy of Spider-Gwen is definitely NOT the same character as the Silver Age Gwen Stacy.

The Baron said:

Read volume two of The Essential Spider-Man. The Gwen Stacy of Spider-Gwen is definitely NOT the same character as the Silver Age Gwen Stacy.

Now, on volume three.  I have to say, I'm very grateful for the chance to read these books, but the writing really hasn't aged well. Jonah, MJ and Aunt May  in particular are more caricature than character.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service