Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 39812

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read Nightwing #50.

This is one of the most emotionally impactful comics I have read, but I have to admit that it's for a very personal reason. Some of the really old folks (sorry!) around here may remember when I had a stroke in June of 2006.

It all rang so very true--not having all of your memories anymore, not being in full control of how you would react to it, and not even being the same person anymore. Of course, I've had 12+ years to get used to it, but this brought it all right back to me like it was much more recent.

I absolutely get what Dick is going through. I know it will all be erased, but for now, I'm really relating to him.

Phillip:

I remember the Starland Vocal Band's summer series. After the first time they performed "Afternoon Delight", the rest of the debut episode and the summer seemed like filler material to me.

Yet I personally feel it's a shame that there isn't really a true variety program on television anymore, compared to all the "reality" production talent shows nowadays.

Rob:

Thanks for the tip about conventions. Haven't been able to get to one in a while though. Will have to keep my eyes open the next time I manage to.

I watched The Starland Vocal Band show on TV. the one thing I remember is that they wrote the song "Take Me Home Country Roads" which was a hit for John Denver. the SVB performed it on one episode.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – JULY 1933:

Annie spends a week working for a farmer for 10 cents a day. (He would have to pay a grown man $2-3 a day for the same work.) At the ed of the week, he stiffs her and kicks her out into the rain. Then his barn is struck by lightning and catches fire. Instant karma.

She sees a blind man on a street corner and gives him a quarter. She isn’t s flush with cash herself, but she figures she’s young and healthy and can at least see. That Sunday, she sees the man again, but no one is paying any attention to him. She is moved to start singing along with him. She attracts a crowd, and by the end of the day they have collected more than $20. They decide to become partners, 50/50.

The musician’s name is Dan Ballad, but he asks Annie to call him “Uncle Dan.” When the novelty of their act wears off, they hitch a ride to Foundryburg. They can’t afford a train, a bus won’t allow dogs, and it’s too far for Dan to hitchhike. Annie arranges to ride in the back of a furniture truck. They ride in comfort and practice all the way. When they arrive the truck driver refuses to accept payment because they kept him entertained. They spend the rest of the month busking. They play the old tunes no one can hear anymore rather than popular tunes available on records or the radio.

On the last Sunday of the month, a cop issues a citation for Sandy not having a license. They stop off at police headquarters on the way to the pound, and Annie plays up to the other cops. The captain issues a license himself and tells the arresting officer to lay off.

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES:

I forgot to mention yesterday that I was so struck by the difference between George tuska and Alfredo Alcala’s styles that I would compare panels of Taylor’s face side by side. But if I was “stunned” by Alcala’s work, I was shocked by the art on the Escape from the Planet of the Apes adaptation, by Rico Rival. I had seen his art before (on the “Derek Zane” back-up stories; more on those at a later date), but I didn’t care much for it. It was too “sharp” and “angular” for my taste. Looking at it again, objectively, now, I see that it really was just a matter of my personal taste. Rival did an excellent job and, more so than the previous adaptations, the comic book is arguably just a little better than the movie it is based on.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE – AUGUST 1933:

Annie’s strategy is to leave town while they’re still popular. The next town is near enough to walk to, but they don’t do well there. The next town after that is too far to walk. A man who dislikes the music strikes Sandy with a cane. Annie busts Dan’s fiddle over the man’s head. He grbs her just as a truck driver pulls up to defend Annie. The driver makes the man pay for a new violin and gives them a free ride to the next town.

With a ew violin, the act is better than before and does very well. Annie and “Uncle” Dan are approached by Charles C. Chizzler who offers to act as their manager. He has them use the last of their own money to buy new clothes, then he arranges for them to play at the local theater on Saturday night. They are quite well received, but Chizzler rushes them out before the theater owner can talk to them.

They trust “C.C.” implicitly to handle their affairs, which he has agreed to do for no compensation. He goes through several rounds of false negotiations with the theater manager, playing both ends against the middle until he gets Annie ad Dan to agree to sign a contract. The contract he shows them cuts himself in for “50% for expenses,” but the contract he gives them to sign stipulates “50% and expenses.” He shows the signed contract to the theater manager to prove he has the right to negotiate their deals. The manager knows they’re being cheated, but recognizes it’s a legal contract.

The first week, they earn $300.00 and Chizzler pays them $11.50 for both of them. He refers to then frequently as his “trained seals”; they eat in the deli and he eats in the town’s fanciest restaurants; when they travel to the next town, he arranges for them to travel on a run-down bus that will accept dogs, while he takes the train; they stay in a cheap rooming house while he stays in a nice hotel. All the while he keeps stringing them along, promising a big payday soon. Annie grows increasingly suspicious. They were making more money each day playing on the street than they are in a week in the theater.

PLANET OF THE APES:

Marvel Comics didn’t have the rights to the likenesses of any of the actors who played humans in the movie series. Because I read the comic book adaptations before I saw the movies, to this day the true actors don’t look “right” to me no matter how many times I see the films. Sometimes while reading, though, I’ll hear the actors’ delivery in my head as I read.

HEY, KIDS! COMICS! #3: “Brian Callanan is Joe Maneely. When this series is collected, I hope they run full-scale reproductions of those cover mock-ups hanging in the halls of Verve and Yankee comics.

WRONG EARTH #2: I liked this issue as much as I did the first.

IMMORTAL HULK #7: The latest iteration of a classic battle: the Hulk vs. the Avengers. The Hulk is particularly brutal this time, and so are the Avengers.

BMB’s SUPERMAN: I had allowed myself to fall behind several issues (of both Action Comics as well as Superman), but I’m all caught up now. I thought the two series were going to tell one story, but I guess not. I can see this being somebody’s Superman, but not mine. Still waiting for a good jumping off point.

I knew I had forgotten something.

FROM HELL MASTER EDITION #1:

I’ve read From Hell twice before: once as it was coming out, then again when it was collected. The first time, I dutifully followed the endnotes for every single page… every panel. When it was collected, I refrained from consulting the endnotes until after every chapter. This time I think I’ll be able to refrain from consulting the endnotes until I’ve finished the whole thing. Which may not be for a while yet.

I read an article about the process and technique used to add color to this edition. I bought the first issue just to see what it looked like, but as it will no doubt be collected in hardcover eventually and I will likely buy that, I don’t see any reason to continue buying the individual issues.

A long time ago, Tracy and I bought the DVD of the movie but we’ve never watched it. It’s still in its shrinkwrap.

Recently Cap mentioned new evidence which disproves Alan Moore’s theory as to Jack the Ripper’s true identity. Can anyone provide details? I found From Hell to be thoroughly convincing and would be curious to read where it went wrong.

Also, if anyone bought CURSED COMICS CAVALCADE yesterday, let’s hear about it here.

Oh, man! I couldn't (respectfully) disagree more! This reminds me so much of what I loved about the Jurgens/Stern/Ordway era of the late 80's/early 90's. I love how nicely it flows and how great it looks. Bendis didn't need to reinvent the wheel. He's just adding his spice to what is already there.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

BMB’s SUPERMAN: I had allowed myself to fall behind several issues (of both Action Comics as well as Superman), but I’m all caught up now. I thought the two series were going to tell one story, but I guess not. I can see this being somebody’s Superman, but not mine. Still waiting for a good jumping off point.

...Any autism references this time?
... Recently read parts of:
BATMAN GIANT #3
SUPERMAN GIANT #2 ( yes, the Walmart ones - I think those were the number)
B&V FRIENDS DIGEST #s 264 & 266
ARCHIE AND ME DIGEST #10
Some of Archie's MARVEL COMICS DIGEST #7?? (Ant-Man/Wasp)...the next issue will be Spider-Man featuring Venom. Will this be the first issue of this without a story by a " Marvel Immortal " as the lead one?
...SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #36
DONALD DUCK #196. Whitman, 1978, 35c price.UPC seal. Had Western dropped the " Gold Key " trademark by this time? Were they still selling untagged copies? A 20- page Donald story, " The Tell-Tail Trail ", where annoying Scroige buddy Hrricane Hogan brings D/H/D/L on a treasure hunt. A 4-page Gyro Gearloose story, ' The agreeable Dragon ". G. goes back to ancient Wales (presumably - no name given for his destination, new test. George (called thaf) and the Dragon. 1- page Three Pigs/Wolves story with illo. This a reprint? I presume the comics stories are new. They're very much in that " Seventies Gold Key " style. No credits. Was Hurricane Hogan used elsewhere? Makes me think of Hulk Hogan.
Ads of note:
" Win A Sears Cartridge Tele-Ga.e System " from Kellogs on the inside front cover.
...2&1/2 pages of Star Wars merch ads, an offficial watch and two different ads for a T-shirt and a poster (1/2 page) and the T alone (1 page). Same illogical of models.
A Daredevil Hostess ad, " The Peachy Keen Caper ".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service