Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 40927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cap, regarding Electric Warrior, I've read the Wikipedia for it, and it looks like it's not directly related to it, except for the costume and the future setting. There are some similarities, but the new one is based on a "feats of strength!" contest to join what seems to be (according to what I've read online) a very early version of what will eventually become the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I love how 2000AD this image is!

Hot Lunch Special #3-4: I don't want to give too much about this book away, just in case anyone wants to read it. That said, it has the worst title of any other comic I know of from 2018. It sounds like it's going to be a satirical/scathing story about the meat industry, but it's not. It's about a crime family war. It's written by Eliot Rahal and drawn by Jorge Fornes (the artist who has recently turned in some awesome, Mazzuccheli-esque pages for Batman).

I love this book in the same way I love Briggs Land and Fargo Season 2.

Batman #60: This issue has another member of Bane's collection of villains to the attack on Batman. More than that, though, Batman gets some kind of informational assistance from a sad and distraught (and most likely in a disturbing way) from the Penguin. Even though this book comes out every two weeks, I get the feeling it's going to read a lot better in trade form. Still a great comic, though. I loved the art by Jorge Fornes (see the above post).

Comics Comics #1: From SBI Press, a company with which I am unfamiliar, comes a really great comic from a lot of great comedians as well as some pretty awesome artists. This anthology starts out with a story by Patton Oswalt with art by Troy Nixey as Patton walks down Hollywood Boulevard and lets his super-heroic imagination take over for a little while. He snaps back to reality just in time to witness something awesome. The rest of the book has art from people like Evan Dorkin, Robert Hack (who must be getting bored waiting for the next issue of Sabrina to come out of the Archie offices), and Tania del Rio. This is a high-quality book, and I am curious to know whether or not an issue 2 is planned or not.

Doomsday Clock #8: Wow, the poop hits the fan in this issue! This comic made me hate the general public and the people who pull the strings even more. Great art from Gary Frank, and this is the most impressed with Geoff Johns's writing that I have ever been.

Just saw this -- I talked with the AHOY guys at NYCC a couple months ago, and people took different tacks on their "adaptations" -- which you're right to put in quotes. Their feeling was, it's a humor book foremost, and if people wanted to adapt their impression of the story, rather than the actual text of the story, that was completely fine with them... it being fun and funny on it's own had a lot more importance than any fidelity to the original work. (The Spy vs Spy-like strips of "The Black Cat" in each issue being exhibit A in that regard.)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

EDGAR ALLAN POE’S SNIFTER OF TERROR #2: I found #2 at one of my back-up shops yesterday. When I was a young’un, I was a big fan of EAP, yet I still haven’t read all of his stories to this day. Both issues #1 and #2 feature an “adaptation” of a story I have not read. I put the word in quotation marks because I’m not sure how faithful these adaptations are, not having read the originals. They do infuse a sense of dark humor into each one. If any is going to draw me back to reading Poe, it will be this series. This morning I listened to the album Tales of Mystery and Imagination by the Alan Parsons Project, which I haven’t heard in quite a few years.

This morning I read the first half of Batman: The Dark Prince Charming. It's by writer/artist Enrico Marini. So far, it's a fairly standard Batman/Joker story with better than standard artwork. It does take a slightly more realistic look at the Joker and his hideout/cronies than the standard omnipotent DCU Joker, at least.

I read Superman: Before Truth, which collects issues #40-#44 of the New 52 Superman (Volume 3, if you're counting) plus a story from Divergence Free Comic Book Day Special Edition. This is the run of stories in which Lois Lane outs Superman.

I didn't read the original stories when they were out, but as The Joker said in The Brave and The Bold #200, "It's cold off the press ... but like they say, any book you haven't read is a new book!"

So, some thoughts:

• Most of the stories are written by Gene Luen Yang, author and artist of the wonderful graphic novel American Born Chinese. Art is by John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson.
  • The first part is with this Superman hanging out with the Justice League, testing the limits of a new power in which, from time to time, he erupts like a volcano. It's less a "power" and more a, I don't know the word ... uncontrollable outburst. As such, it doesn't seem very helpful, especially when it triggers, it lays waste to everything for miles around, including his clothes.
  • Superman does figure out how to use this -- "ability" isn't the right word, either -- in a somewhat controlled way.
  • Then he contends with the villain of the piece, HORDR-Root, who is a high-tech extortionist and information broker. HORDR-Root has learned Superman's secret identity, and orders him to do various things.
  • In this rendition of this Superman, Jimmy Olsen knows his secret identity, but Lois Lane does not.
  • Also, Superman and Lois Lane are not a couple; he's dating Wonder Woman.
  • Superman immediately hectors Jimmy, asking if he's told anybody about the secret identity.
  • At one point, Superman, dressed as Clark Kent, has to protect Lois, Jimmy and a former HORDR employee, and winds up getting his clothes shredded as a result of the fight. So that's how Lois learns Clark is Superman.
  • She is pissed.
  • Later, HORDR-Root makes more demands on Superman, so Lois puts his secret identity out to the world. Thanks for nothing, Lois.
  • Bad guys attack the Daily Planet because of the disclosure.
  • From a hospital bed, Perry White fires Kent for living a lie, and criticizes Lois for putting the Superman secret out on her blog and not in an actual news story for the paper.

I came away really unsatisfied. I loved Gene Luen Yang's work in American Born Chinese, and I get what they're going for here -- a Superman who's less experienced, facing a different kind of challenge. But this "Superman" is a stranger to me. This is another case of the writer thinking he has to depower Superman to make him interesting, and winding up not writing Superman at all.

This new ... talent? no, that's not the right word, either ... of Superman leaves him drained of power and only as strong as an average human. So there's a moment where he and the other Justice League members, dressed as civilians, go hang out in a restaurant and bar. It would be a nice character moment, if the characterization didn't ring false. Batman is actually almost nice, but the tone is off as he complains about having to pick up a depowered Superman and deliver him clothes whenever this nova blast goes off. Superman can taste food better, which is interesting, but he also doesn't know the names of various dishes, which I suppose we are to regard as drunkenness, but I wondered if it was brain damage from the massive energy emissions.

As for John Romita Jr.'s art, apart from the shock of a long-time Marvel artist working at DC, it's ... not good. Romita Jr's work has evolved, and not in a good way. His layouts are dynamic, but his figure rendering is grotesque. 

In short, I'm glad I got this from the library and didn't actually buy it. 

I attended a presentation by Gene Luen Yang right before his Superman run started. He mainly spoke about getting kids interested in coding, but he did get the crowd's appetite up by describing the jist of his Superman run. I shook his hand, he signed my copy of Boxers and Saints, and I was all excited for what was to come.

I ended up feeling exactly the way you describe, Jeff.

I read the rest of Batman: The Dark Prince Charming last night.

S

P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Let's just say that the "special relationship" between Batman and Joker reaches beyond the pages of Tom King's Batman. A woman comes along with her daughter and claims that Bruce Wayne is the father. The Joker becomes enraged with jealousy, and seeks to kidnap the child. Whether or not this is revenge or just to try to get attention from Batman remains unsaid. But then Batman learns something which makes him interested in the girl for some mysterious reason. In the end, it is heavily implied that the Joker is actually the father.

...Mast few days: (Hope I've got the numbers right?:
VENOM #7-8
THE WRONG EARTH #2
LOONEY TOONS #246
ARCHIE/BATMAN '66 #5
TITANS HUNT #1-8 miniseries from a coupla as a prebagged LCS special
MAD STOCKING STUFFER, some of it, one-shot giant - Another
more of these newsstand
-only?? reprint specials, Christmas and winter- themed stuff

I loved Titans Hunt but  I sadly feel they've done nothing with the concept set up since.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

TITANS HUNT #1-8 miniseries 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service