Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 48168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not the best period for Marvel Two-In-One with a bizarre three-parter involving the Mad Thinker, a two-parter that featured Idi Amin and the least of the Thing/Hulk battles with a great punchline!

Except for the Starlin and the Project: Pegasus issues, I haven't read any of these.

SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE #2: Issue #1 ended with Clark Kent joining the Navy. The first half of #2 deals with him training to become a Navy Seal, and the second half deals with Lori Lemaris. Clark is an excellent marksman, and is being groomed to be a sniper. He is also being trained how to kill with his bare hands and with knives. I'm not real wild about this concept. When he is sent on a mission and accomplishes it without killing when ordered to, he is drummed out with an honorable discharge. I'm not real wild about that concept, either.

Lori Lemaris is more "fishy" than she's ever been depicted before, and her old man is a real piece of work (with incest on his mind). "Atlantis" is located off the cost of San Diego (which is the Pacific Ocean last time I checked). 

If the Superman in the brian Bendis comics is still the one from the pre-Flashpoint DCU, there is no way this origin is his. I would almost be willing to accept that it was the origin of his "Nu52" predecessor, but Grant Morrison went into great detail presenting that Superman's origin. So which "Superman" is this? Until now, Birthright had been my choice for "Most Unnecessary Retelling of Superman's Origin."

I read Underground, a collection of the 2010 five-issue series by Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber. 

It's an environmental thriller set in the claustrophobic cave systems of Kentucky -- basically a chase scene as some criminals pursue some park rangers through the caves. The main characters are likable, the action is thrilling but believable, and the crisp art by Steve Lieber takes us through every step of the action. And oh, man, Ross Chan's colors are terrific: in the caves, lighting is an important factor, and he and Lieber do an excellent job of keeping clear what's seen and unseen. (And the bright spring coloration of the outdoor scenes come as a welcome respite!)

Great book.

I dug up The Marvels Project  by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting from 2009-10. It once again retells the beginnings of the Human Torch, the Sub-Mariner and Captain America, only this time through the eyes of Thomas Halloway, the Golden Age Angel who is not as pivotal to the story as you may think. It does focus a bit more on the "lesser" Timely characters of which there are plenty, including killing off two of them, one which did bother me a little.

Plot points are introduced and dropped. Namor is indeed a mass murderer here though he believes himself justified. He's still unbearable but all is forgiven. The Human Torch strives to be more, well, human and Cap begins to become the beacon of hope he was destined to be.

Unfortunately, the story just ends abruptly. Each issue had some great moments but as a whole, there's no real payoff.

Maybe this could be included if the INVADERS thread, if you guys want.

I understood this was supposed to be the same Superman from The Dark Knight Returns.

How does one get drummed out of the service and still get an honorable discharge? There are other kinds of discharges for people who leave the service under a cloud, yes?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE #2: Issue #1 ended with Clark Kent joining the Navy. The first half of #2 deals with him training to become a Navy Seal, and the second half deals with Lori Lemaris. Clark is an excellent marksman, and is being groomed to be a sniper. He is also being trained how to kill with his bare hands and with knives. I'm not real wild about this concept. When he is sent on a mission and accomplishes it without killing when ordered to, he is drummed out with an honorable discharge. I'm not real wild about that concept, either.

Lori Lemaris is more "fishy" than she's ever been depicted before, and her old man is a real piece of work (with incest on his mind). "Atlantis" is located off the cost of San Diego (which is the Pacific Ocean last time I checked). 

If the Superman in the brian Bendis comics is still the one from the pre-Flashpoint DCU, there is no way this origin is his. I would almost be willing to accept that it was the origin of his "Nu52" predecessor, but Grant Morrison went into great detail presenting that Superman's origin. So which "Superman" is this? Until now, Birthright had been my choice for "Most Unnecessary Retelling of Superman's Origin."

A "General Discharge" is a catch-all for service members not being given a Dishonorable Discharge. It is less than an Honorable Discharge. Back when (not too long ago) they were discharging people for being gay this was the one they would get. If someone was too much trouble but it didn't raise to the level of Dishonorable they would also get a General. I believe this could be fought, but only by demanding a Court Martial. A General Discharge is theoretically better than Dishonorable, but it creates a cloud of suspicion and would make it hard to get a job.

Also, Article 15 of the UCMJ* allows a kind of plea bargain in which one can agree to a fine and/or a reduction in rank without being Court Martialed or discharged. That being said, if Clark Kent accomplished his mission without killing I don't think he would be kicked out.

* Uniform Code of Military Justice 

ClarkKent_DC said:

I understood this was supposed to be the same Superman from The Dark Knight Returns.

How does one get drummed out of the service and still get an honorable discharge? There are other kinds of discharges for people who leave the service under a cloud, yes?

• ...I've meant to post about a 2001 b&w from Slave Labor Graphics
  • (a company I rather liked back in the day), SPARKS #5, by Lawrence Margot
...That's Lawrence Marvit.

"I understood this was supposed to be the same Superman from The Dark Knight Returns."

Ah. That would make sense. 

MMW DAREDEVIL v13 (con't): #139 features guest artist Sal Buscema and a story about a hemophiliac child, a mad bomber and a missing junkie whose stories become intertwined. #140 is by Bill Mantlo, Sal Buscema, and Klaus Janson, and features the Beetle and the Gladiator. #141 is by Wolfman & Shooter, Kane & Brown, and Mooney. The villain is Bullseye and the story ends with a Batman-style death-trap. (Daredevil escapes with the assistance of Nova.) #142-143 feature Cobra and Mr. Hyde. the volume itself ends with a two-part Torpedo story from Marvel Premiere #39-40. Given what I've already posted about the first half of this volume last week, I think I have already spent too much time on what is a mediocre volume. 

That's the entire series of Daredevil reprinted in "Masterworks" format (so far). The next volume has been solicited for January release. It will breach the Miller era (barely) and I will resume this discussion at that time.

MARVEL COMICS #1000: I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. Here's what they did: they took a significant event from each of Marvel's 80 years and dedicated a page which tied to it in some way. the events could be in-story, the introduction of a new character, the publication of a new title, the start of a celebrated creator's run. the vignettes are strictly chronological, although their presentation is. for example, a page featuring the Hulk represents 1959 (the debut if his long-time home, Tales to Astonish), not 1962 (the debut of the character), but is set more-or-less in the "present day" (or close to it). I literally laughed out loud at two of the pages (at one quite loudly). Most of the pages are standalone, but the pages written by Al Ewing tie together and introduce a plot thread which dates back to the Age of Camelot, through the first issue of Marvel Comics, and into a series set to debut next year. Some characters and creators are conspicuous in their absence. 

MONSTERS: I'm a big fan of Marvel's monsters, but when new stories are published, sometimes I buy them, sometimes I don't. For whatever reason, I decided to buy this weeks Monsters offering. First of all, I thought the cover was by Arthur Adams, but it's not; it's by Nick Bradshaw. (Just thought I'd mention that.) If you're familiar with Marvel's more recent "monster" offerings, this issue features Kid Kaiju. (If you're not familiar with them, don't worry about it.) It's not really a story so much as it is a string of pin-ups, but that's okay. I flipped through it before I bought it. 

It starts when Kei Kawade (the aforementioned Kid Kaiju) finds a dusty tome titled "Anatomy of the Monstrous" published by Timely Publishing in 1939, which really doesn't make a lot of sense give some of the monsters featured (such as the Man Thing, for example) but, y'know... each pin-up is complemented by a "monster cross-section" (done in a Japanese style) by something called "Superlog." they use the term "bukuro" a lot, which I take to mean "sac." 

If you are considering buying this comic, be aware its mostly pin-ups.

SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY #6 (The 10s): Good ending to a good series. Miles Morales is featured, but older (of course) than the one we know. At first it looks as if the villain is going to be Venom (which I didn't care for), but then it switches to Doctor Octopus. Although this is a riff on Superior Spider-Man (which I didn't read), I liked it anyway. I won't spoil the ending, but I will say Peter Parker bears a striking resemblance to his Uncle Ben in this one.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service