Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 54193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“Not being able to find something is irritating, but not being able to find something you're not really all that interested in makes the need to find it all the more irritating.”

Exactly!

“For the past few days I've been reading The Complete Steve Canyon volume 2”

I plan to move on to Steve Canyon next, but right now I’m stalled in the middle of Little Orphan Annie.

Here’s what I’ve read…

TARROT #1-4: A nice little out0of-continuity (AFAIAC) Avengers/Defenders mini-series written by by Alan Davis and drawn by Alan Davis lookalike Paul Renaud. Remember the Marvel/DC “Amalgam” event? This is like that, but with merged versions of Avengers and Defenders. It’s good fun.

BUG #1-6: I like this six-issue mini-series by the Allreds as much as I do Tom King’s Mister Miracle (although they are quite different in tone and execution). It’s the first time I’ve read it since its original release, and the first time I’ve read it in a sitting. It holds up really well.

Cap and Jeff, I feel y'alls pain. Back in December I was getting ready for a show, and I like to package complete miniseries and sell the sets. I don't remember what series it was, but I had the first two issue in one box, but not the rest (It was either 4 or 6 issues). I was already kind of frustrated off the bat right then. I put those two issues in another box, and moved on. 3,4 days later I find the rest of the series. Uh-oh, now I can't remember where I put the first two issues. I got so ticked at myself. I looked for a good half hour. I finally ran across the first two issues a couple of days later, not in a box of course but in a stack of comics.

In other news I did just wrap up Classic Invaders vol. 4. This wrapped up Roy Thomas' original run and included the 4 issue miniseries from the 90s. I thought the miniseries was much stronger than the end of the ongoing. The art on the mini was by Dave Hoover, who I only remember doing the Wanderers comic for DC. I didn't enjoy his work there, but I thought it was pretty good here.

I think Dave Hoover did some work with Roy Thomas on All-Star Squadron, as well.

Dave Hoover is an artist who I felt was in the "getting ready for prime time" during the Wanderers. I remember he was the ongoing artist on a new Aquaman series (before Peter David's) in the early 90's that never really found its footing, but I don't remember seeing his name after that anywhere.

There is a Wikipedia page for Dave Hoover. Unfortunately, he died in 2011.

Rob, if he did do some All-Star stories there is a good chance I read them. The Wanderers and Invaders are just closer in time to when I read them. I picked up The Wanderers series for 50 cents each and read them a few years back.

WS, was that the one with the blue camouflage costume or a different one? A series between those two?

Ah man, that's sad Richard.

This was post-camo Aquaman.
It was regular old orange and green Aquaman.
I just looked over the All-Star Squadron creators, and Hoover wasn't among them. I think I might have been confusing him with Mike Harris.
I finally read all three parts of Superman Smashes the Klan, and it's fantastic. Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru flesh out the "Clan of the Firey Cross" serial from the radio show to excellent effect for a modern audience. Yang also writes a terrific essay in the back, part memoir, part historical context. Highly recommended.

From what I can find, Dave Hoover only worked for DC on the Starman title from 1990 to 1992, the last run before the 1994-2001 Jack Knight Starman (my Starman). Prior to comic books he worked in animation. Most of his comics work was for Marvel. He worked on the faculty of Art Institute of Philadelphia from 1999 to his death. His Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hoover

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I just looked over the All-Star Squadron creators, and Hoover wasn't among them. I think I might have been confusing him with Mike Harris.

Whoops, it appears I was thinking of a fellow named Ken Hooper.

Richard Willis said:

From what I can find, Dave Hoover only worked for DC on the Starman title from 1990 to 1992, the last run before the 1994-2001 Jack Knight Starman (my Starman). Prior to comic books he worked in animation. Most of his comics work was for Marvel. He worked on the faculty of Art Institute of Philadelphia from 1999 to his death. His Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Hoover

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service