Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #1, which was really good ("There will be no eating of teammates."), and G.I. Joe: Cobra #1-3. People who know me know that I don't just pick up and read a G.I. Joe comic. I've never been into them, and I was never even into the toys, really. But the guys on iFanboy really recommended this book, saying it doesn't feel like a Joe book at all. And it really doesn't. It's a lot more like a Queen and Country story. One of the guys (in the Hawaiian shirt) goes undercover, and it's an extremely good spy story so far. Cobra nor G.I. Joe (I believe) have never been mentioned in this book, but some of the characters have. VERY highly recommended!

Views: 26277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I defend him based on the fact that he was the go-to guy when they wanted inking done fast. 

I also appreciate the professionals who made the Silver Age possible, of which he was one. Making deadlines isn't held in much regard by some professionals today.

"This got me side-tracked..."

Happens to me all the time. Just go where it takes you.

SHADOWHAWK: Last night I was in the mood to read something not-too-deep, so I pulled out the original four-issue Shadowhawk mini-series. It was pretty light-weight all right. I never did read too much of Valentino’s Guardians of the Galaxy, but I’ve got to think it was better than this.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I never did read too much of Valentino’s Guardians of the Galaxy, but I’ve got to think it was better than this.

Don't get your hopes up.

That's pretty much my whole life, not just with comics!

In fact, this evening, I watched the movie Future Shocks: The Story of 2000AD, which has me, of course, pulling Judge Dredd, Marshall Law, D.R. & Quinch, and Lenny Zero off the shelves.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"This got me side-tracked..."

Happens to me all the time. Just go where it takes you.

PHANTOM FORCE: Last night I read Phantom Force #0 from Genesis West. That’s really the kind of fare I was looking for the night before last when I read Shadowhawk. It remains to be seen whether I follow it up with issues one and two (from Image) of the rest of the series (from Genesis West). The Image issues usually put me off because each page was inked by a different inker. Stylistically that’s bad enough, but the Image founders talked the owner of the pages into letting them ink directly onto to art board rather than using a sheet of velum (because they wanted to feel closer to Kirby), the comic art equivalent of sex without a condom. There are only a limited number of pages pf un-inked Kirby pencils, and after this project there are fewer still. The owner of the pages later said he regrets letting the Image founders talk him into it.

SCORPION: Several weeks ago I thought it might be fun to read one Atlas-Seaboard series each week and post about them here. I did only one (Destructor), but my Howard Chaykin reading project has opened the opportunity for another. Scorpion was among my least favorite of the Atlas-Seaboard line. I don’t think I’ve re-read it even once until last night. It’s a pulpy adventure/detective-style adventure, and whereas I like that genre in theory, I don’t read too much of it in practice. It’s more interesting to me today than it was when I was eleven, but my primary interest in it now is mainly to observe the evolution of Chaykin’s style.

Moro Frost, the Scorpion, is apparently blessed with extreme longevity. He has had five different identities from the 1860s through the 1930s, perhaps more earlier than that. After the dissolution of the Atlas-Seaboard line, Chaykin re-worked concept (without the supernatural aspects) and took it to Marvel as Dominic Fortune. He would later revisit the concept in Midnight Men (discussed here last week), but that was about a series of men believed to be the same man throughout the decades.

Chaykin did only two issues, but Atlas published a third (by Gordon Levy and Jim Craig) which brought the character into the present (1975) as a costumed hero, pretty generic stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service