Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 45898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just got around today to reading Justice League #25. It felt like an old Justice League issue from the Bronze Age where so much happened that it had an epic feel to it. One problem was solved through father/son teamwork, along with some help from grandpa (but maybe not the grandpa you'd be expecting these days...refreshing). Then they come back and discover Luthor's disaster plan, which has caused society to uproar. Starman has tapped into the Multiverse (an ability of his?). We see Superman One Million, Superman Earth 2, Captain Carrot, Kamandi, Satan-Lantern, and a bunch of other super-powered big guns. Plus, of course Lex Luthor isn't dead. Awesome art, and I am actually finding Scott Snyder's writing kind of endearing now, despite my wanting to take my fifth grade teacher red pen to it to edit down the verbiage.

I've bought a handful of JL comics on Comixology for a buck apiece -- I'll see if reading them in Guided View (and thus at  more comfortable reading size) makes me like them better. Fingers crossed.

Lois Lane #1: A couple years ago on Word Balloon, John Siuntres (sp?) was interviewing Greg Rucka. Rucka was talking about how he's often thought of as a guy who likes writing females more than males. He's great at writing females--Renee Montoya, Batwoman, Dax from Stumptown, Queen & Country, Wonder Woman (well, to some people, but not me on this one)... Rucka's reaction to those people: "F*%K YOU! F*%K YOU! F*%K YOU!"

I don't get it. He's really great at the job, and it shows here. He just needs to embrace it if he hasn't already.

Perhaps against Rucka's wishes, I love his take on Lois Lane.

Shoot. I left my notes at home. If I forget anything I wanted to say, I’ll add it tomorrow.

SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY #5: This issue brings the story into the 2Ks and the JMS era, including Ezekiel, Morlun and the Spider-Totem, as well as 9/11. Tony Stark is the antagonist. It has been so long since I actually liked Iron Man, I’ve actually forgotten what that experience is like. I can remember favorite runs (such as Michelinie/Layton), but I can’t remember what it feels like to actually like Iron Man.

INVADERS #7: Iron Man being an @$$hole again.

IMMORTAL HULK #21: This issue focuses on General Fortean’s backstory. Marvel has tried, unsuccessfully, in the past to replace Major Talbot; Ewing may have now succeeded in replacing General Ross.

JIMMY OLSEN #1: Jimmy Olsen was never like this, but it’s how we all remember it.

THE ORVILLE #1: If you like the TV you’ll like this comic, which takes place between seasons one and two. Actor likenesses are spot on. The story depicts some scenes which we know to have happened but were never shown.

BRONZE AGE BOOGIE #4: My favorite of the AHOY! titles.

"I’ll check tomorrow to see if my LCS has New Avengers v3 #21 in stock."

Yesterday I bought New Avengers (v3) #21-23 and Avengers (2018) #9-10 but I haven't read them yet.

Jeff, I have thought the same about Iron Man for way too long... I've just finished reading the first trade of the new "Tony Stark Iron Man" series "v1 Self-Made-Man"    and whilst it's very modern-RDJr, light and frothy, Dan Slott has injected a bit more heart and interest into Iron Man and his supporting cast than I can remember seeing for a very long time. (And Jocasta's in it so there's a plus right there!) 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

It has been so long since I actually liked Iron Man, I’ve actually forgotten what that experience is like. I can remember favorite runs (such as Michelinie/Layton), but I can’t remember what it feels like to actually like Iron Man.

Iron Man was never one of my favorites, so it didn't ruffle my feathers to make him the heel in Civil War. And while he's awful in this week's Spider-Man: Life Story, it's important to remember that the Civil War era is what this issue is covering. I'll be interested in seeing how the story wraps up next issue!

"...it's important to remember that the Civil War era is what this issue is covering."

Yes. (That's one of the things in the notes I left at home.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service