Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 48188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING by ALAN MOORE v1: I have these stories reprinted in color, in black and white, and I have the originals. The comics in this large, HC slipcase edition have been completely recolor and the art looks phenomenal. Seriously, I have never seen colors like this in a comic book before. The cloth-bound cover has a unique feel to it, too.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE v16: This volume goes into 1953. I am only at 1939 in my reading project, so I have a ways to go. But every time a volume of the “Classic Comics Library” comes out I think of IDW’s financial woes. Selfishly, I worry that series such as Little Orphan Annie, Li’l Abner, Dick Tracy and Steve Canyon might not see completion. as Little Orphan Annie along has 15 years to go.

MARVEL MASTERWORK PIN-UPS: Several weeks ago I posted some thoughts on a new book titled “80 for 80” which reprinted a single image for each year of Marvel’s existence. Although I pre-ordered them both, this is the book I thought I was reading. This is a Craig Yoe collection which reprints every significant “Marvel Masterwork” pin-up from the ‘60s, plus some from the ‘70s and ‘80s as well. We’re talking pin-ups from individual issues, Fantastic Four annuals, Spider-Man annuals and the like. No real surprises here (maybe a few), but it really is cool to have these all, large and on archival stock paper.

I wanna see "Absolut Swamp Thing".  "Yeah, I'm th' plant elemen'al, whasha gonna do about it? Hic!"

Jeff of Earth-J said:

ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING by ALAN MOORE v1: I have these stories reprinted in color, in black and white, and I have the originals. The comics in this large, HC slipcase edition have been completely recolor and the art looks phenomenal. Seriously, I have never seen colors like this in a comic book before. The cloth-bound cover has a unique feel to it, too.

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE v16: This volume goes into 1953. I am only at 1939 in my reading project, so I have a ways to go. But every time a volume of the “Classic Comics Library” comes out I think of IDW’s financial woes. Selfishly, I worry that series such as Little Orphan Annie, Li’l Abner, Dick Tracy and Steve Canyon might not see completion. as Little Orphan Annie along has 15 years to go.

MARVEL MASTERWORK PIN-UPS: Several weeks ago I posted some thoughts on a new book titled “80 for 80” which reprinted a single image for each year of Marvel’s existence. Although I pre-ordered them both, this is the book I thought I was reading. This is a Craig Yoe collection which reprints every significant “Marvel Masterwork” pin-up from the ‘60s, plus some from the ‘70s and ‘80s as well. We’re talking pin-ups from individual issues, Fantastic Four annuals, Spider-Man annuals and the like. No real surprises here (maybe a few), but it really is cool to have these all, large and on archival stock paper.

Getting back to the subject of black and white reprints for a moment. Jim Aparo's art looks great that way, especially when he inked himself.

Joe Kubert and Jack Kirby's also.

For Curt Swan while the pencil talent is always there, IMHO he always looked best in black and white reprints inked by Murphy Anderson, although there was at least one Superman short story where Swan inked himself that was fantastic too visually.

Why Swan didn't ink more, let alone his own work, is unknown to me.

Picking the first 6 issues up on Comixology  in a recent sale I've just read issues #1-#3 of the new 'The Green Lantern" and well, it's kind of okay but so far I'm not blown away by anything radical.

Sorry to hear that. I liked it a lot. I'm a big fan of Morrison, though, and I'm happy to see his work being weird and underrated, to be honest. I like to think he has a big enough following by now that he's not hurting financially.

Richard Mantle said:

Picking the first 6 issues up on Comixology  in a recent sale I've just read issues #1-#3 of the new 'The Green Lantern" and well, it's kind of okay but so far I'm not blown away by anything radical.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Why Swan didn't ink more, let alone his own work, is unknown to me.

I wonder if the page rates were lower for inkers and it was a monetary decision? More likely it was the editor's choice. "Work for hire" creators couldn't assign themselves work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service