Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 53546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Elongated Man miniseries from 1992 with wonderful Mike Parobeck art. He was perfect for that series. Am I the only one who liked Ralph's purple and white outfit better than the other one?
Travis Herrick said:
The Elongated Man miniseries from 1992 with wonderful Mike Parobeck art. He was perfect for that series. Am I the only one who liked Ralph's purple and white outfit better than the other one?

I don't know; I like the design, but not the colors. I like the red and blue one with the yellow belt better.
A bit of bookstore reading today... Action Comics #890, the first part of Lex Luthor's takeover of the title. I've got to say, it leaves me wanting to read more.

Also Superman #700 and 701 which, although I like the premise, kind of made me want to smack some of the characters; JMS often has good ideas, but some of the dialogue he gives characters to drive his ideas is a little too smarmy and strawman-y at times. Still and all, I like the "Grounded" idea, and that's another book I'd follow if I could.

And lastly, the Supergirl collection "Who Is Superwoman?", which collects (IIRC) issues 34 and 37-42 -- whatever Sterling Gates' first issue, and then the issues of the "Who Is Superwoman?" story were. I really liked that book, and there's another title I wish I could be collecting right now...
Started the Hellblazer: Hooked collection, which continues Milligan's run (this would be Vol. 31 if they were numbering them, by my count). I read the title arc, and was very sorry to see Phoebe go. Although this being Hellblazer, it leaves open a possibility for her return. Continued on to the second half of V For Vendetta, which took me through the end of Book 2 and in to Book 3.
Finished these. Having Simon Bisley on interior art (he's been doing the covers) on the last two issues here is kind of British Comics Old Home Week, isn't it? Although I don't think Milligan and Bisley have collaborated before. I liked the look, even though it's radically different from the Camuncoli/Landini team. And both issues explore the fallout from the title arc, so they're not really one-shots. V For Vendetta has a quieter ending than I remembered: I guess I recalled the fireworks just before the end. I finally remembered to leave the book in my practice area, so I can play the song that opens Book 2.
Mondourbano Vol. 1 by Mateus Santolouco, Eduardo Medeiros, and Rafael Albuquerque. The backbone of the story is death of a rock star: How did he die? But it also kind of reminds me of a comic book version of the movie Pulp Fiction. You will see bits of the story from someone else's perspective but also get a different story as well. If that makes sense. It is a true collaboration with the three artists. One may do the art for several pages, and then someone else comes in. Or one of them may do one panel on one page. Usually all of the different styles would be annoying, because artists were brought into finish a project (anniversary issues not withstanding), but here it is deliberate.

You get three chapters, plus an epilogues, plus a "bonus track", plus a preview of the next volume.
I agree. I think that they changed it because they were giving Plastic Man another shot and didn't want them both in red!

ClarkKent_DC said:
Travis Herrick said:

I don't know; I like the design, but not the colors. I like the red and blue one with the yellow belt better.
I just read Justice League: Generation Lost #5-6 and I have to say it's getting better. You believe that these are the same people from the International days, changed by the numerous tragedies in their lives. Max Lord's actions scream evil yet there can be some doubt about his intentions. The new Blue Beetle doesn't annoy me so much and I like this new Rocket Red, so I'm recommending this series for however long it lasts!
Mark Sullivan said:
Finished these. Having Simon Bisley on interior art (he's been doing the covers) on the last two issues here is kind of British Comics Old Home Week, isn't it? Although I don't think Milligan and Bisley have collaborated before. I liked the look, even though it's radically different from the Camuncoli/Landini team. And both issues explore the fallout from the title arc, so they're not really one-shots. V For Vendetta has a quieter ending than I remembered: I guess I recalled the fireworks just before the end. I finally remembered to leave the book in my practice area, so I can play the song that opens Book 2.

By the quiet ending, do you mean the quotation about "The Land of Do as you please"? I recently bought The Enchanted Wood which is the first book in the series that that passage came from. I'm looking forward to reading it to my daughter some day.
I've been rereading Scott Pilgrim before I read Volume 6 and see the movie. Man, is this a fun, creative comic! I'm up to Volume 4 today, and will surely be on vol 5 by tomorrow.
Figserello said:

By the quiet ending, do you mean the quotation about "The Land of Do as you please"? I recently bought The Enchanted Wood which is the first book in the series that that passage came from. I'm looking forward to reading it to my daughter some day.

I was mainly thinking of the last scene: Edward Finch turning his back on everything, walking down the highway towards "Hatfield and The North." I understand those signs don't exist any more, due to changes in the highway system. I like the prog rock band that took that name. I don't know the books Moore got that quote from.
Hmmmm. I was talking about V for VEndetta :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service