Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #53-58: After that it was “Project Pegasus” featuring his successor. I remember how I came to read this the first time. When I was in college, I picked up a lot of 1970s series had missed as backissues, and I followed Deathlok from Astonishing Tales into Marvel-Two-In-One. I thought it was okay at the time, strictly by the numbers, kind of perfunctory. I still feel the same way.

I love me some Project Pegasus! But a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I was 9 when I read it and it featured art by both Byrne AND Perez; my two favorites at the time. I think I may have only read it once or twice since it was first published though.

I bought the trade of this last fall, but I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Detective 445 said:

I love me some Project Pegasus! But a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I was 9 when I read it and it featured art by both Byrne AND Perez; my two favorites at the time. I think I may have only read it once or twice since it was first published though.

I picked up Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles at Free Comic Book Day. Snagglepus as a closeted gay playwright fighting conformity in an alternate 1950s America where anthropomorphic animals and humans co-exist. The Puss proves the darling of talk shows, dodges the Lavender Scare with his beard wife, hangs with fellow author Huckleberry Hound, mentors Augie Doggie, runs cover for Marilyn Monroe, testifies before the House Un-American Activities Committee-- and slips away to see his human paramour at the Stonewall Inn. Pursued by a closeted lesbian version of Roy Cohn, he must choose to implicate his friends-- or sacrifice his career. Be a pariah, even.

Even for a DC reinvention of Hanna-Barbera, this was unusual. It could have been better-- characterization, for example, is uneven-- but I enjoyed it.

I was really excited about this after I ended up loving The Flintstones so much. The first thing I didn't like about this, though, was the art. I felt like it could have been much stronger, and a little more realism would have made it match the tone more.

But I've heard from a few sources that this series got better as it went on, so if I find it on the cheap somewhere, I will most likely check it out.

JD DeLuzio said:

I picked up Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles at Free Comic Book Day.

Even for a DC reinvention of Hanna-Barbera, this was unusual. It could have been better-- characterization, for example, is uneven-- but I enjoyed it.

HASHTAG: DANGER #1: The one thing that most comics drawn in a “cartoony” style miss (and that Hashtag: Danger gets right) is that the drawings themselves are supposed to be funny.

FLASH #70: The thing that most “year one” stories (of those released since Batman: Year One) get wrong is that they are supposed to tell the story of the entire first year, not just the origin. I don’t know about this one. Barry is struck by lightning in February, then spends four months in a coma. Are they counting those four months towards the first year? Remains to be seen. Other than that, this is a very contemporary take on the origin. There will be no surprises for fans of the TV show.

SHAZAM #5: One thing I don’t like about what passes for “creativity” these days changing surface elements of an established character to create something “new” (such as red Hulks, multi-colored Lanterns or Infinity “stones”). There’s none of that here. Bill Batson’s powers are spread around, organically, among his foster siblings, and it works.

BRONZE AGE BOOGIE #2: I think I’m getting most of the in-jokes and references. Bambi’s mother. Classic. I love it.

In Hashtag: Danger, check out their hashtag-shaped desks...and all the papers that have dropped through the hole in the center!

I liked the first issue of Flash: Year One a lot. The pile of sneakers Barry burns through is a great detail, and mostly this books looks like it'll be a real showcase for Howard Porter's storytelling abilities. That 16-panel-grid, whoa!

Haven't gotten my hands on Bronze Age Boogie 2 yet -- next week, if not tomorrow.

INVADERS #5: Marvel “ruined” Spider-Man for me with “Sins Past” and One More Day” by making further adventures of the character unpalatable. “Civil War” ruined Iron Man in a similar manner, and the Hydra storyline ruined Captain America. Marvel seems bound and determined to ruin the Sub-Mariner for me, too.

SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY #3: This issue is up to the early ‘80s, Peter’s late 30s, and the Secret Wars. With America’s super-heroes out of the picture, the USSR took advantage of the U.S. being unprotected and launched a nuclear strike. Aunt May is in her 90s and going senile. MJ has given birth to twins, Claire and Benjamin. Peter owns Parker Industries and works closely with Reed Richards. “Secret Wars” segues into “Kraven’s Last Hunt.” Peter’s life is saved by the symbiont and (briefly) becomes Venom, but he is saved in turn by Mary Jane.

I think I have figured out where that “15 year old high school student” thing comes from. I have traced it back to Parallel Lives, the 1989 graphic novel (reprinted at standard size in 2012) by Gerry Conway.

PLANET OF THE NERDS #2: Every bit as entertaining as #1.

IMMORTAL HULK #17: Every bit as disturbing as #1-16.

I haven't figured out where my impression that Peter was 15 when the spider bit. I know I didn't get it from Conway's GN because I had that impression much earlier.

Hmm... guess I'll have to dig a little deeper.

I recently bought a graphic novel of of Amazon called Weapon Brown. Published by Death Ray Graphics, it seems that it was previously published as a web comic, but now it is only available in its entirety in hard copy. (Actually, it may be on Comixology, I haven't checked that out--but it's no longer entirely a webcomic.) 

The premise is one that didn't grab me right away, which is why I hadn't read it until now. Charlie Brown is now Weapon Brown, the creation of a military unit. With cybernetic body parts, he is now a living weapon. Along with his white and black pit bull, he is roaming a post-apocalyptic Earth.

Just a few chapters into the book, he has come across Lucy, Linus, Peppermint Patty, and some other members of the Peanuts cast, but they are all grown up and distorted perversions of their funny page-selves. He has also come across Beetle Bailey's world (along with a sex-item Miss Buxley [Bucksley], who--let's face it--has always been one). Of course, Beetle Bailey's world has also been apocalyptic-ized as well. Then, he has entered the world of the Wizard of Id, whose cast is also horrifying versions of themselves, including his cyborg army.

This book is definitely not for everyone. It takes comic strip characters (or very thinly veiled versions of them) and puts them into some really graphic scenes. I'm only about a fifth of the way through it, and if I was easily offended (or if I had a special connection to the characters), I don't think I would be continuing on with it. But I am neither nor, so I am continuing to enjoy it.

MMW DAREDEVIL v4: This is a whole volume of Lee/Colan goodness with a side order of Kirby. What do you get when you combine the dynamism of Jack Kirby with the fluidity of Steve Ditkko? Answer: Gene Colan. Most of the stories in this volume are two-parters: #33-34 feature the Beetle (including his origin), #35-36 features the Trapster, and #37-38 features Dr.Doom, which leads into Fantastic Four #73. (Fantastic Four #73 also guest-stars Thor and a rare Kirby-drawn Spider-Man.)

The volume concludes with the only true three-parter, #39-41, which features the “Unholy Three,” that is the Ani-Men (Bird-Man, Ape-Man and Cat man, minus Frog-Man and now led by the Exterminator rather than the Organizer). The Exterminator supplies them with a time displacement gun, and the volume ends, appropriately enough, with Daredevil faking the death of “Mike Murdoch.”

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service