Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 59177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ikigami - The Ultimate Limit, volume 2, by Motoro Mase
I read a little over half of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2. I enjoyed the first volume, but not enough that I wanted to own the others. Our library system finally bought the second volume (I think I suggested it, actually) so I'm finally reading it. It's fun; it seems less dense with literary allusions and historical references than the first volume. Or maybe I'm just missing them.
Last Night: The last story in Astro City: Local Heroes and the 1st story in Promethea: Book 4.

I'm a little behind on my TPB reading.
I finished the comics part of LOEG Vol. 2...not enough time to get to all the back matter, which includes a long prose piece.
Parasyte, volume 8, by Hitoshi Iwaaki
Yesterday: the first half of the X-Men: Morlock Mutant Massacre trade, getting back into my X-Men reading project after a couple of weeks off reading library trades and back-issue buys

the NYX trade, which started out really well when Quesada and company were introducing the new characters but fell apart in incomprehensibility once they were all together
Dead, She Said by Steve Niles & Berni Wrightson. A wacky mashup of noir detective/zombie/mad scientist stories. It needed more space to really develop all that, but it was a fun read.
Today I went through the back material in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II. I started out trying to read "The New Traveller's Almanac" (the long text piece). I found it so tedious that I skimmed the rest. It's certainly very clever, but not enough to hold my interest. Also Martha Washington Dies, the final one-shot in the series. Ran across it at my LCS's sale yesterday, so I picked it up at half price. Not much to it: the title pretty much describes what happens. The original outline and draft art in the back was interesting, though.
I had a meeting canceled on me last night so I turned that into comic book reading time. I read a bunch of X-Men comics as part of my X-Men reading project: Uncanny X-Men #215-219 (which contains one of my all-time favorite issues- the Dazzler/Juggernaut fight in #217) and X-Men vs. Avengers #1. And then I finished off Thing #7-8 from the Dan Slott series for good measure.
I just read a little bit more of last week's Wednesday Comics -- there's not enough out this week for me to make a special trip, but I'll be near a shop in NYC on Monday, so I'll probably pick up Wednesday Comics and Ex Machina then. But two things I noted with puzzlement and delight in last week's:

Adam Strange changes bodies during the Zeta-Beam transfer? Whu???

And the Flash does a super-speed time-travel trick I've never seen before. Well done!
Oh, and I read issue 4 of Unwritten last night. Man, that's a great series.
Mark Sullivan said:
Today I went through the back material in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume II. I started out trying to read "The New Traveller's Almanac" (the long text piece). I found it so tedious that I skimmed the rest. It's certainly very clever, but not enough to hold my interest.

They are pretty hard going but clever nonetheless. Did you get to the references to Santa Claus' colour scheme and the attempts by the Coca-Cola man to get the polar bears to endorse his product?

For myself, I wasn't too impressed with the latest installment of LoEG. The story was to formalised. Everyone was acting out a part in the arrival of Nemo's daughter's pirate ship.

I have yet to read the text piece at the back of that too. There's a Marvelman-type superhero in there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service