Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 48188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More from this month's box:

Invisible Woman #1; it took nearly SIXTY years for Sue Storm-Richards to get her own title (or mini-series in this case) complete with a new logo, written by Mark Waid, always a plus. Apparently she moonlighted as a SHIELD agent early in her career, working for Nick Fury, Sr. And her then-partner has vanished (Ha!) and she goes to find him with the help of Nick Fury, Jr. It's a slightly weird premise as it makes one wonder why the Fantastic Four weren't all working for SHIELD. Then again Fury took over SHIELD in Strange Tales #135 (Au'65); by that point, Fantastic Four had hit #41, so Sue was well-known by that time. Next issue guests the Black Widow.

Lois Lane #1: DC's longest-running supporting character gets her own title again as a maxi-series with a new logo and written by Greg Rucka which worries me a bit. Going from Chicago to Russia to Washington, DC, the "Girl Reporter" gets involved in a political thriller with deadly consequences. Also Lois was seen kissing Superman, making everyone think she's cheating on Clark! Their son is barely mentioned and the story might work better with a non-married Lois. Still, whether she thought of as Superman's Girl-Friend, Superman's Wife or Superman's Mistress, she should be safe from harm in any event.

She has the Rene Montoya Question doing the heavy lifting here and she has a White House Pressroom confrontation with a thinly-veiled Sarah Huckabee-Sanders stand-in

Star Trek: The Q Conflict #6: I was so hyped for this: the Four Crews (Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager---Sorry Enterprise!) together and jumbled together to be champions for Q, the Squire of Gothos, the Organian and the Metron to stop a war between these cosmic powers. But there was surprisingly very little interaction amongst the crews when so much could have been done with them. Worf & Dax, Worf & B'elanna, Spock and Tuvok, Spock and Data, Kirk & Troi, McCoy and Bashir, Picard & Seven of Nine, Data & Odo, Kirk & Riker and so on. It ended too fast for my taste through the invention by...I won't say!

Fantastic Four: The Prodigal Sun #1: the first of three one-shots featuring a new cosmic being dubbed Prodigal, a corruption of his true name written by Peter David which makes it a must-buy! Taking place in the Savage Land guest-starring, of course, Ka-Zar, Shanna and Zabu, the FF must stop the Swamp People from getting hold of the High Evolutionary's tech and weapons. There's suspense, comedy and young love in this one. Given his design, I though that Prodigal might have some connection with Omega the Unknown but we'll see. Next he battles the Silver Surfer!

Fearless #1: Supposedly a celebration of the Women of the MU, it's mediocre at best. But it has a new reboot of Millie the Model and brings back Elsa Bloodstone!

MMW DAREDEVIL v12 (#120-132): This volume can be divided #120-123 and #124-132. Tony Isabella wrote #120-123 and Marv Wolfman wrote #124-132; Bob Brown drew #120-123, 125-132 and Gene Colan drew #124; Vince Colletta inked #120-123 and Klaus Janson inked #124-132.

The four issues written by Tony Isabella, #120-123, feature recycled pre-Steranko Hydra stories from Strange Tales with watered down Stan Lee dialogue. Isabella even supplied a text feature, the “Hydra File,” in issues #120-121. Silvermane was the villain of the first Spider-Man comic I ever read, Amazing Spider-Man #73. I had to wait for the conclusion to be reprinted in Marvel Tales #56 before I found out the ending, but Silverman was definitely dead. I was mildly surprised to discover Silverman alive and kicking in Peter Parker #70, but I had to wait until this volume of Marvel Masterworks Daredevil was published last year to find out how he survived.

NOTE: I am reading all of these issues for the very first time, but I did previously sneak a peek at page seven of issue #123 to learn how Silverman escaped his fate in Spider-Man #75. The explanation, frankly, was pretty lame; I could have come up with something better myself… if I had been inclined to, that is. If it would have been left to me, I would have kept him dead so as not to dilute the impact of the original story.

Usually, it takes me a weekend to polish off a volume of Marvel Masterworks or DC Archives. If I’m really into it, I can do so in a single sitting. If I’m reading one during the week, I’ll usually read one story per night. The last volume took me two weeks to finish! I found volume 12 to be much better than volume 11, but it doesn’t start to get really good until issue #124. (Len Wein wrote pages 1-14, then Marv Wolfman took over as the new regular writer.) It also helps that it was drawn by definitive Daredevil artist Gene Colan. Equally as important, this the first issue inked by Klaus Janson. The previous four had been inked by Vince Colletta over Bob Brown. Brown would return in #125, but Janson’s inks also embellish his work better than Colletta’s did.

Storywise, DD & BW break up… again… but for good this time, in #124. (Tony Isabella brought them back together… temporarily… after they had broken up in the previous volume.) By #125, her spot-illustration would be gone from the masthead; her name had already been removed from the title. For those keeping score, the Black Widow definitely dumped Daredevil. She will turn up next in Champions.

The villain in #124-125 is Copperhead, but the most significant new character is Blake Tower, Foggy’s opponent for D.A. #126 introduces the second Torpedo and #127 the third, but the most significant character introduced in #126 is Matt’s new love interest, Heather Glenn. Matt’s new apartment used to belong to Heather’s previous boyfriend, and she still has a key. When we first meet her, she lets herself in. The second time we meet her, Matt finds her already in the appointment watching TV. Instead of taking away her key or changing the locks or getting a restraining order, Matt makes her his girlfriend. I remember Heather Glenn from the Frank Miller days, but I didn’t realize she went back quite this far.

The Death-Stalker (not to mention a pre-Star Wars character named “Sky-Walker”) is featured in #128, and Man-Bull is back in #129. In #130 Foggy loses the election for D.A. to Blake Tower. Matt opens a “storefront” legal office and makes Foggy his partner. In a bizarre sub-plot (not to be resolved until next volume), a “double” of Foggy appears on TV, video evidence of JFK and RFK alive surfaces, amidst a rumor that one of the Presidents of the last 30 years was replaced with a “twin.”

#131-132 introduces new characters police Lieutenant Rose and Daily Bugle columnist Jacob Conover are introduced (along with the “Rocketeers,” destined to cause Dave Stevens some legal headaches in later years), but by far the most significant new character from these issues is the villain Bullseye (second of that name). The bizarre rumor sub-plot this issue is that the Viet Nam war never happened; it was really mass hypnosis by the C.I.A. and the troops were actually fighting illegal wars in South America and Africa.

On Earth RW, Silvermane never came back from his original fate.

I haven't read any of the DD stories of this era. The bizarre things in your last two paragraphs obviously get my attention, but the bit about Matt's new girlfriend being somebody who just showed up with a key to his apartment makes me fear for Matt's sanity. Did she even know she wasn't supposed to be there, or even know where she was? 

“On Earth RW, Silvermane never came back from his original fate.”

Yeah, I’ll have to say that holds on Earth-J, too. Maybe they’re brothers or something.

“Did she even know she wasn't supposed to be there, or even know where she was?”

She is a total flake. The second time she let herself in, she told Matt she checked up on “Franky” and he’s married now so she doesn’t have to worry about him anymore. Then she plants a big ol’ kiss on Matt's mouth!

I got the True Believers reprints of Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #95 (April 1971) and Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #131 (April 1974).

#95 takes place after Captain Stacy had died; grieving daughter Gwen has gone to visit relatives in London. Peter wangles an assignment from the Daily Bugle that will take him to London so he can talk to her, but gets dragged into helping the London police with a kidnapping. Then he figures that if Spider-Man was seen in London, Peter Parker can't visit Gwen, so he leaves.  photo doh.gif Idiot. She's mourning her father and missing her boyfriend. You really think she cares Spider-Man was in town?

Fortunately, that issue has the usual gorgeous artwork by John Romita. Unfortunately, Amazing Spider-Man #131 has the lesser team of Ross Andru and Frank Giacoia. The story? It's Aunt May's wedding to Doctor Octopus!

Well, almost. Hammerhead and his mob bust in on the nuptials and try to kidnap Aunt May, who is suddenly the most popular octogenarian in Queens, N.Y. Why? Because she's inherited an island in Canada rich with uranium deposits!

It's one of those zany, action-filled yarns they don't make any more, but should.

I love those "True Believers" editions. I don't buy many of them, but I'm glad they exist for anyone new to the hobby (if there is anyone new to the hobby these days). According to the JMS run, it is circa Amazing Spider-Man #95 when Norman Osborn father twins with Gwen Stacy. (She went to London to have the babies, IIRC.)

Uh, uh. No way.

MONSTERS, v2: I have not been burning through the stories in v2 at the same rate I did those of v1 in 2017, but since I last posted I have read: “I dared to battle the Crawling Creature,” “I am Robot X,” “What Lurks Within?" "I Brought the Roc to Life,” “The Unbelievable Menace of Moomba,” “Klagg,” “The Man from… Tomorrow,” “Zzutak, the Thing that Shouldn’t Exist,” “The Glob” and “The Escape of Monsteroso.”

Tomorrow, Marvel will release Marvel Masters of Suspense, the first of two omnibuses collecting the “Atlas-era” stories of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Unfortunately, Amazing Spider-Man #131 has the lesser team of Ross Andru and Frank Giacoia. The story? It's Aunt May's wedding to Doctor Octopus!

Well, almost. Hammerhead and his mob bust in on the nuptials and try to kidnap Aunt May, who is suddenly the most popular octogenarian in Queens, N.Y. Why? Because she's inherited an island in Canada rich with uranium deposits!

It's one of those zany, action-filled yarns they don't make any more, but should.

Forgot to mention the thing that blew my mind about this story.

Not the needlessly convoluted plan of Doctor Octopus to marry Aunt May -- and not even Hot Aunt May, but wizened, frail Aunt May, wearing a goofly garland of roses in her hair -- nor the business of Hammerhead busting in on the wedding, trying to achieve with brute force what Doctor Octopus was doing with guile.

No, it's the notion that Aunt May was about the get married ... and Peter wasn't invited to the wedding!

IIRC, Peter and Aunt May were going through a rough patch at this time. (Maybe that wasn't made clear in the one issue you read.) Also, wasn't this the one in which Aunt May inherited a nuclear power plant in Canada or something? (I thought that was going to be what blew your mind.) And wasn't that why Doc Ock wanted to marry her?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

IIRC, Peter and Aunt May were going through a rough patch at this time. (Maybe that wasn't made clear in the one issue you read.) Also, wasn't this the one in which Aunt May inherited a nuclear power plant in Canada or something? (I thought that was going to be what blew your mind.) And wasn't that why Doc Ock wanted to marry her?

Um, yes...

Rough patch or no, no way Aunt May gets married and doesn't have Peter there. NO friggin' way!

"Um, yes..."

Whoops.

(They say that memory is the second thing to go.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service