Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read issue #1 of The Zaucer of Zilk, as per Rob's recommendation. I wasn't surprised that the story was pleasantly surreal, but what I was surprised by was the fact that Brendan McCarthy's artwork was so similar to that of Frank Quitely. I think it was the close-ups of the main character's stubble-ridden face that did it for the most part. But truly, this is some wonderful stuff. Can't wait to dig into #2 tomorrow.

I suppose the following shows how out of date I am as this morning I read Unearthly Spectaculars #1 (Harvey)  and The Texan, 4 Color #1096.  Both of which I bought at Saturday's comic mart.

Next in the pile is Roy Rogers #46. 

Just finished Captain America by Ed Brubaker Vol. 1. This Trade collects the first 5 issues of the Cap series as drawn by Steve McNiven right before Marvel Now! 

The story was decent as it reveals yet another WWII adventure that we never knew about. I would love to collect all of Cap's WWII adventures and see if they fit within the, what, 3 and a half to four years he was in Europe during the war. It seems as if there is a lot of stuff starting with the old Tales of Suspense.

Anyway, like I said, not too bad. Vol. 2 should be interesting.

Next up I have Winter Soldier Vol. 1 on my pile to read!

While they may have positioned Cap as working in Europe prior to the outbreak of the U.S. involvement in WWII, if you look at the history books, U.S. military action in Europe runs from June 6th, 1944 to about May 5th, 1945...

So, actual military adventures must fit within a one year period and even less than that, if you allow for the buzz bomb drone plane launch that claims Bucky and sends Cap into the deep freeze.

You might've forgotten the campaign in mainland Italy, which Wikipedia tells me started in July 1943.

Captain America's final WWII showdown with the Red Skull (in a bunker in Germany as I recall) is supposed to have occurred as the Third Reich was falling, so his fateful flight with Bucky should presumably be dated close to the end of the war in Europe.

You're right, Luke.  Plus, I suppose, Marvel may have suggested that Cap was on deep cover missions (is that possible, dressed in Red, White and Blue?) PRIOR to D-Day...as they were massing troops, supplies and material in England the year before the invasion.  There's lots of wiggle room here for war tales and adventures.

Pretty good discussion. I forgot to include the creation of Cap himself, which I always thought was after Pearl Harbor. Giving some time to whisk Erskine from Germany to the U.S., I'm thinking mid-to-late '42. I'm not sure if Marvel ever gave us any hints as to when Cap himself could have been created.

Late '42 to early '43 works so that Cap was involved in Italy.

That really only gives us two years of Cap in Europe.

I agree with Luke that I always thought Cap was lost at the end of the war, perhaps even after the war was "officially" over.

AX volume 1 - a collection of alternative manga from Japan reproduced by Top Shelf. I don't think I can really recommend it. Anthologies are usually a 50/50 proposition, but to me this was more bad than good. Yet, the one thing that chapped my hide more than anything was that as was said in the beginning there was over 18,000 pages to choose from and the include a "to be continued" story without having the continuation.

Captain America Comics #1 was cover-dated for Mar. 1941; according to DC Indexes it actually went on sale in Dec. 1940. Captain America Comics #13 was apparently the first issue with a cover prepared after Pearl Harbor.

Blackhawk's introduction in Military Comics #1 pre-dated Pearl Harbor too; DC Indexes gives its approx. on sale date as May 30, 1941.

Hillman's 1941 titles include the four issues of Victory Comics (the title mast of which carried the blurb "the fighting forces of Uncle Sam in deadly combat!"), cover-dated for Aug.-Dec., and the first issue of Air Fighters Comics, which was cover-dated for Nov. To be fair, the former title didn't last and the latter wasn't successful at the time (Air Fighters Comics went on to a long run, but its second issue was cover-dated for Nov. 1942 and had a completely different line-up). But they're examples of pre-Pearl Harbor US comics that are clearly war-era comics.

Wonder Woman's feature, initially war-themed, also predates Pearl Harbor. Her debut in All-Star Comics #8 was cover-dated Dec./Jan., but according to DC Indexes it went on sale in Oct. 1941. Sensation Comics #1 was cover-dated for Jan. 1942 but went on sale, according to DC Indexes, in Nov. 1941. 

In the last couple of days I reread the Deluxe Edition of Neil Gaiman's Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

The initial impulse was to read the title story again so I could compare it to the Planetary/Batman crossover, which we've discussed over at the Reading Planetary thread. This edition also includes a Batman: Black and White story and a couple of Secret Origins stories. The origins stories were some of the earliest things Gaiman wrote for DC, and I was struck by how ordinary they are. If he had kept going down that path he might have had a respectable career writing comics, but he'd just be a face in the crowd. Mark Buckingham illustrated one of them, and he doesn't look like himself, either.

Start of a three-day weekend for me, so I read Jeff Lemire's Vertigo OGN The Nobody , his re-telling of The Invisible Man. It's basically a B&W comic, with blue tones added so it doesn't look too indie. Changing the setting to a small North American town allows Lemire to play to his strengths. Having just read the latest Sweet Tooth collection, as well as The Underwater Welder, I'm struck by Lemire's tendency to use similar character designs in his original comics: there's the big guy with the broad nose, the gaunt guy with the long mustache, etc. It's a good story, with an interesting little twist at the end. For some reason I ignored this in 2009 when it came out, and now both the hardcover and trade paperback are out of print (which I discovered when I tried to order a copy for the library). I'm surprised DC hasn't reprinted it, given Lemire's higher profile now.

Also started the six-part Vertigo miniseries Fight For Tomorrow, created by writer Brian Wood and penciller Denys Cowan (Kent Williams did the inking and covers). It features a martial arts fighter with a shadowy past, so shadowy that after the first two issues I'm not quite sure where the story is going.

Just finished Winter Soldier vol. 1: Longest Winter.

Ed Brubaker clearly loves writing political espionage thrillers and with the characters running around the Marvel U, it works to the nth degree! What a great opening story!

One thing did catch my eye, though. Bucky reminisces about watching the Black Widow in the 50's. Even if it was '58 and Natasha was 16, that makes her about 70 today!! Was it ever revealed if she ages more slowly or not at all? She looks to be drawn like she's in her mid-30's! Maybe she's been using Nick's Infinity formula?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service