Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 59162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NEW LONE WOLF & CUB v4: In a previous post I compared the styles of Goseki Kojima and Hideki Mori to those of Jack Kirby and Walt Simonson, but I think a better comparison would be to those of frank Miller and Klaus Janson. 

Eternals Forever #1:  An OK book. Not a very in-depth story, but this feels more like a "set-up" to introduce the characters and the situation.

Two things that are new to me:

1. Sprite/Puck is a girl now, albeit a fairly boyish one.  Seconds of internet research tell me that this happened a while back in some comic i never read.
  2. The Deviants now call themselves "the Changing People".  It makes sense that their name for themselves would be something less negative.

BATMAN '89 #3: This series uses Tim Burton's Batman movie as a starting point, but it igores the other movies in the series to tell its own story. And that's a good thing.

SPIDER-MAN #76: The last time I tried reading a Marvel series released in weekly installments (some "Avengers" thing, I forget) I ended up regretting it. I hope that doesn't happen this time.

BLUE & GOLD #3: This time I remembered not to read the "online commentary" by the fans following the live-streaming battle. 

IMMORTAL HULK #50: This story goes all the way back the beginning, Ohio in 1901, to reveal the story of the Sterns brothers, Robert and Samuel. Robert Sterns' wife is Beatrice Banner. Having said that, if you haven't read Immortal Hulk before, I don't suggest you start here; it's a terrible jumping on point. In one way, this series reminds me of the whole "Captain Hydra" thing of a few years ago in that both are well-written stories that I enjoyed at the time, but will probably never, ever reread. The series ends with six pages of letters.

BLACK'S MYTH #4: A werewolf detective and her djinn assistant try to recover bullets cast from the silver paid to Judas.

SECOND COMING v2 #6: While giving the elderly victims of a fatal bus crash a tour of Heaven, God and Jesus begin to see their own responsibility for humanity's distortion of their doctrines. On earth, aware that his own efforts to improve the world have failed, Sunstar solicits suggestions from the public. Unfortunately, they don't know what they need, either.

SUPERBOY: THE COMIC BOOK #2: This issue's story has an interesting premise: Superboy gets shot for the first time. Sure, he knows he's strong and at least nigh-invulnerable, but who in his right mind would voluntarily test it? Unfortunately, the 1000 words of the story are not worth the one picture of the cover.

NEW LONE WOLF & CUB v5-6: Good stuff.

This morning I read Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done? The true story of Ed Gein by Harold Schechter and Eric Powell. Powell's art is very appropriate for a story of this nature. I always forget just how sick that dude was. I did not realize how long he lived, that was kind of surprising to me as well. Highly recommended.

THE DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE #2: This issue has a lot of "Easter eggs" for fans of the old Lee/Ditko stories from Strange Tales. this iteration of Doctor Strange is from before he earned the red Cloak of Levitation in #127, before he even learned of the Purple Dimension in #119. (There's a reason for that, and it makes perfect sense.) Strange is even drawn to look like he did in those days. Good story.

THE UNITED STATES OF CAPRAIN AMERICA #5: The formula of previous issues which has taken us to this point has been abandoned for the finale, which is just as well. The four main "Captains" (Steve, Sam, Bucky and John) are posed on the cover like the carvings on Mt. Rushmore. the entire "Captains Network" is revealed in this issue, 13 members not including the main four mentioned above. Whether or not we'll see any of them in the future remains to be seen, but this issue is a good conclusion.

SUPERMAN: SONE OF KAL-EL #4: This is not the one with the "Big Reveal". (That's next month.) Wally West meets Jon for the first time. If anything drives me away from this series it's not going to be the story, but the art. Extremely unappealing. 

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #6: This series got off to a good start with an engaging three-parter. That was followed by two "done-in-ones" which weren't as good. This issue features two complete stories, one featuring Solomon Grundy, the other featuring Killer Croc. As long as this series continues to feature  a complete story per issue or a multi-part story I like, I'll continue to buy it. but four bucks a pop is too much to pay for a serialized story I don't enjoy.

Yesterday I read the George Orwell biography, oddly enough called Orwell. I really liked this. I love books that I genuinely learn stuff about the subject, and I learned a lot. The art I thought was great, and of my favorite devices they used, it when they captions were in a typed font, those were directly from Orwell's writings.

I also read Penguin Triumphant, and it was okay. Really the only reason I mention this comic is that both this and Orwell, both reference reference "Raffles". Stories about a "gentleman thief", and now I'm interested in those.

ANT #1: This comic emulates a very specific kind and style of comic, specifically a Marvel comic, more specifically one drawn in Jack Kirby's mid-'70s style. That is a kind of comic that even Marvel has no interest in producing in decades. I thought that what I wanted to read (and it is, I think), but this one isn't particularly well-done. Above all else, the kind of comic this one emulates must be innovative, which this one is decidedly not. Still, with the kind of prolix stories favored by Marvel today, a comic that requires no thought at all is kind of refreshing in a way. 

SPIDER-MAN #77: Yesterday I finished reading Douglas Wolk's All of the Marvels (see the "What Are You Reading these Days?" discussion), and he had quite a lot to say about Spider-Man. We have discussed "the illusion of change" many, many times on this board, but Wolk defined several "cylces" which apply to Spider-Man from the beginning to the present day, and identified the attributes associated with each one. [NOTE: These are different from the "phases" of Marvel Comics in general which he identified and defined. Although I may quibble with some of his start and end points, I do agree with his overall assessment.)

By the time of the "Clone Saga" debacle of the '90s, I had already dropped Spider-Man at the end of the previous cycle; it was the Clone sage which brought me back. I carved out a little "hole" (one longbox worth) in my collection for these stories, then stayed on for awhile until "Sins Past" and "One More Day" drove me away (so far) for good. After reading Wolk's treatment, I think I might have carved out an additional "hole" for "Brand New Day", but I don't regret that I didn't. 

The truth is, I had a definite idea for what the next cycle should have been and "Brand New Day" wasn't it. Frankly, I'm not sure "Beyond" is, either, but I'll stick it out a few more issues yet. And #77? Mostly talking heads.

WONDER WOMAN BLACK & GOLD #5: Five more out-of-continuity (or I should say "no-particular-continuity") tales of the Amazon Princess.

NEW LONE WOLF & CUB: After 28 volumes of the original series, I'm hung up on v7 of the new. 

And just in time for Hallowe'en...

MMW GHOST RIDER v3 and MMW TOMB OF DRACULA v1: I seldom read these immediately upon their release, but I always read the introductions. The Ghost Rider one, by Ralph Macchio, is very perfunctory, but the Dracula one has two, one by roy thomas and the other by Marv Wolfman, and they are both very informative. 

One thing about Ant was the scene where she was shown figthing barely-disguised versions of Batman villains. That seemed kind of tacky to me, especially the bare-breasted "Catwoman".

"Pussyfoot"? I'm sure if you asked ol' "Name Withheld" about it he'd point out they were covered in fur. 

SUPREME ("VOLUME TWO") #1-9: I used to buy a lot of Image Comics, and I'm not sure why. (NOTE: When I say "Image" I'm referring to the comics they published 30 years ago, not today.) I didn't really read them, except for, perhaps, the first issue or two. The one I stuck with the "longest" (about 12 issues or so) was Spawn, through the "writers' series." In fact, it is Image Comics which led me to my cardinal rule of collecting comics: "Don't buy what you don't read." (Corollary: "Don't read what you don't enjoy.") Inspired by Ant #1 last week, I looked into my "Image" box for the first time in many years and pulled out the first nine issues of Supreme.

Supreme was a Rob Liefeld title which Rob Liefeld had very little to do with. He was listed at first as "creator" and "co-plotter," but nothing beyond that (except I think he inked the first issue as well). but if he wants to claim credit for having "created" it, that's fine with me. It's the worst series I have read in quite some time. I may not have even read these all when they first came out. If I had, I like to think I would have dropped it sooner than I did. Alan Moore later wrote a stellar run on the title, but this is not that. 

I'm pretty sure I did read #7-9 back in the day, which featured Image's version of "Thor" (which had more to do with Marvel comics than Norse mythology, although copious footnotes tried way to hard to convince readers otherwise. The first six issues are just a mess. I image this is what "Mundanes" (I term I borrow from JD DeLuzio) think all comic books are like. Liefeld took his name off #7-9 (with art by Shawn McManus). I may have dropped the title an issue too soon as #10 was to have featured his origin.

PATSY WALKER #121-124: Inspired by Douglas Wolk (who dedicated an entire chapter of All the Marvels to Linda Carter, Student Nurse and put forth three reasons why today's shared Marvel Universe really begins with the first issue of her short-lived series), I finally grew tired of waiting for Patsy Walker #121-124 to be reprinted and read them online. As it turns out, #122-123 (Buzz Baxter returns from Viet Nam with a war wound before shipping out again) were really the issues I wanted to read, but I went back an issue for context and forward one for the end of the series. David Anthony Kraft tried to reconcile Patsy Walker's life with Marvel's sliding continuity in Defenders #89 and the death of Patsy's mother, but from today's standpoint, I really don't see that as necessary (in fact, I never did). This Wednesday I'll have to see if my LCS has any Patsys or Millies or Linda Carters in stock. 

THE NEW LONE WOLF & CUB v7: I'm finally back in the swing.

The Baron said:

One thing about Ant was the scene where she was shown figthing barely-disguised versions of Batman villains. That seemed kind of tacky to me, especially the bare-breasted "Catwoman".

Nobody ever seems to point out that a true Catwoman should have six breasts.

I think that would depend if it were a Catwoman or a womancat

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service