You know the drill.

Views: 10624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My parents celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary last week.

Nice!

Life imitates art: "BMW Blocks Hydrant, Boston Firefighters Go Right Through It"

I've seen this done in movies (Backdraft) and on TV (Chicago Fire), but now I know this is a real thing.

I just can't decide which is funnier: The notion that this guy came back after it was all over and found his car full of broken glass and water, or the notion that he came back while they were still there and couldn't leave until it was all over.

Classic! I always assumed (thinking back, this was from Backdraft) that that's exactly what would happen if I parked in front on one. Lesson well-taught!

ClarkKent_DC said:

Life imitates art: "BMW Blocks Hydrant, Boston Firefighters Go Right Through It"

I've seen this done in movies (Backdraft) and on TV (Chicago Fire), but now I know this is a real thing.

I just can't decide which is funnier: The notion that this guy came back after it was all over and found his car full of broken glass and water, or the notion that he came back while they were still there and couldn't leave until it was all over.

A good friend of mine had recently fallen on hard times. His wife left him for another guy, long story that left him pretty much in shambles. As he started to get better, we would get together for dinner on occasion, and any time we did, I would take him about three or four collected editions/graphic novels. Each time, I would tell him which ones were safe for his sons, and which ones were intended for him.

I didn't think much about doing this. I like doing stuff like that if only to stimulate discussions, plus I probably never would have read them again anyway.

Today, I went out to get my mail and I found a brown box stuffed into my mailbox. It was from Amazon, and it had a note sent with it, which said, "Thanks for everything you've done for me for the last two years. By the way, this is only safe for you." (Often, my mini stacks for him included Vertigo titles, about which I said, "This is only safe for you.") It was Wally Wood's Cannon. I've only had a chance to leaf through it briefly. It's beautiful. I had never really known much of Wally Wood's work before. About all I knew is that he created Power Girl, which makes some sense when you look at this book. Lots of lady breasts. But man, it has some wonderful art.

He could have sent me a trade of Kickers, Inc., and it would have still been very meaningful to me. But I'm really looking forward to my chance to read through this one.

This:

If Action Lad was just a wee but younger, I could pass these off as a purchase for "the boy."  I'm thinking The Lovely and Talented ain't gonna buy that this time, though.

My younger brother had a Gigan similar to the one shown. It was a pull-back with wheels and sprayed sparks as it rolled forward.

A local theater poster.

GREAT! I sent this on to a couple people.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service