You know the drill.

Views: 9593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gabrielle Douglas.

The whole world is cheering for her -- I heard a reporter on the radio call her "the queen of the Olympics" after her gold medal wins in the women's individual all-around competition and team all-around competition in gymnastics. But what made me smile was this:

I watched the final event of the women's individual all-around competition, the floor exercise, and Douglas was in the lead based on her scores from the previous three events -- the vault, uneven bars, and the beam. Before she went up, there was this Russian girl, and she had this look on her face like I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. She did her bit and came away still looking like I don't know, I don't know, I don't know

Then Gabrielle Douglas went up, as confident as anything, and she stood straight and tall -- well, as tall as you can when you're 4 foot 11 -- and did her routine, all jumps and leaps and turns and somersaults and what not, and then she landed, and let out this smile that would melt a glacier, like "WHOA! I got this!"

Then the next girl went up, another Russian, and she knew Gabrielle Douglas was the one to beat ... and she had this look on her face like I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Her family was watching her, and, while Gabrielle Douglas's family was cheering for her, and glad for her, this Russian girl's family was acting like somebody was going to shoot her grandmother if she failed. And she finished, and came away still looking like I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. And the scores were revealed, and Gabrielle won the gold! and this Russian girl started bawling.

So my joy in this moment is not only in the triumph of an American, in the success of the first Black woman to win the individual all-around competition and the first Black woman to win the individual and the team all-around in the same Olympics, and in the knowledge that, going into this Olympics, nobody thought much of her -- oh, they thought she was good, but not that good, certainly not great. There was another girl on the American team who was anointed, who everybody thought was going to win it all, who was going to come home with her neck straining from the weight of all the gold medals she was going to win .., except for the inconvenient fact that she didn't even qualify! 

So, I'm happy for Gabrielle Douglas for rising to the occasion, and for having that confidence and that poise and that talent and that skill and that pluck and for really really believing in herself when not everyone around her did. You go, girl!

Well said, Clark!

ClarkKent_DC said:

You go, girl!

Or people have different tastes. I've seen Vertigo, and I didn't like it. Then again Roger Ebert lost me when he gave Under Siege 2 a thumbs up. (Gene Siskel gave it a thumbs up as well)

George Poague said:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/08/a_few_calm_words_about_the_...

Comment by Roger Ebert:

For years people have been telling me they just don't see what's so great about 'Citizen Kane.'" Now they tell me they just don't see what's so great about "Vertigo." My answer will remain the same: "You're insufficiently evolved as a moviegoer." Or, more simply, "You're wrong."

I'm ashamed of myself for finding this so funny.  (OK, not really, but I feel like I ought to be.  Does that count?)

George Poague said:

http://mitchoconnell.blogspot.com/2012/08/sex-in-comic-top-100-stra...

The 100 most suggestive panels in vintage comics.

My favorite: "Robin! Thanks! Whew! My knees are still wobbly!"

George Poague said:

People apparently didn't want to see Jimmy Stewart playing a mentally ill person.

What about Harvey?

Regarding Harvey, Jimmy Stewart's character was an alcoholic, so this may have been the image contemporary audiences didn't like. He wasn't mentally ill. He just happened to know a giant invisible rabbit. At the end of the movie the head psychiatrist interacts with Harvey, so I believe the intent of the story was that Harvey was real. In a similar vein, when Tom Hanks (our modern equivalent of Stewart) played the hero hitman in "Road to Perdition", a family friend and movie fanatic was unhappy that he played the part of a killer. Paul Newman playing the mob boss apparently didn't bother her.

George Poague said:

I regard "Vertigo" as a great film. The greatest ever made? Don't think so. It's debatable whether it's even Hitchcock's greatest. I personally prefer "North by Northwest" for sheer entertainment, "Psycho" for scares, and "Marnie" for a psychological study.

But Hitchcock made several great films, and "Vertigo" is undeniably one of them. It was a box-office flop in 1958. People apparently didn't want to see Jimmy Stewart playing a mentally ill person.

Honestly, the plot and the acting. For me there was just something off with both of them. I did like Barbara Bel Geddes though. I haven't seen all of Hitchcock's film, but this was one of my least favorite of the ones I have seen.

Also, this could have just been overhyped by the time I saw it. I bar was so high that when I did see it I was just let down.

George Poague said:

Travis Herrick said: "I've seen Vertigo, and I didn't like it."

Why didn't you like it?

Yesterday, I cooked pork chops for lunch. My 6-year-old granddaughter got a whole one, put it on her fork, and began to eat it as if it were a popsicle. At least twice, she said "This is delicious."

Love it!

Last week, I was with my almost-four-year-old niece. We have a thing between us where we say "Gimme some pound cake!" and then we bump knuckles and say, "BOOM!" She had the idea for the first time to do "pound cake" with our heads. Before I could react, she head-butted me so hard it brought tears to my eyes. I asked, "Are you okay?" She said, "Yeah, I'm fine," while rubbing her forehead and smiling.

Uncle Jeff, however, had to lay down on the couch for a minute.

PowerBook Pete (aka Tim Cousar) said:

Yesterday, I cooked pork chops for lunch. My 6-year-old granddaughter got a whole one, put it on her fork, and began to eat it as if it were a popsicle. At least twice, she said "This is delicious."

http://nbclatino.com/2012/08/22/artist-portrays-superheroes-as-ille...

Superheroes portrayed as illegal alien status.  Eye-opening images.

I found a little mini poster for the old Vertigo series 100 Bullets. I have no idea where I got it, I assume from my LCS, but that was a nice surprise.

I am soooooo tempted to revive the Caption Contest right now ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service