As some of you know, I fell off the DC comp list with The New 52, and decided that was a sign from Zeus to start trade-waiting. And with the April solicits, I see decision time has arrived.

That is to say: Which trades or HCs will I buy? I'm certainly not going to pop for all 52, so I have to pick and choose. So let me ask you, Legionnaires:

• Which titles are so intrinsic to New 52 continuity that they are musts?
  • Which titles are just so flaming good that they are musts?
  • Which titles lend themselves to collections the best?
  • Which titles can be "safely" skipped?
  • Which titles are YOU buying?

And so forth. Sound off, folks! Which New 52 titles would you choose for the Captain Comics bookshelf?

Views: 5568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's "confusing" about it? We're starting from scratch, remember?

Well, like I said, right now we're already getting it with Action, in a way: Young Superman, learning to use his powers responsibly. The difference is that he's already left Smallville, and that he doesn't have his parents to rely on. But in some respects, it's not terribly far from Superboy.

And there is a Smallville comic coming out, so we'll see how that does, too.

I've been hoping against hope to find a Batman title to like. I've made it clear my enduring disappointment with the course the Batman titles have been on for the past several years.

At the library recently, I picked up Faces of Death, a trade paperback collection of Detective Comics #1-7. On page 3, The Joker is accosted by the minion of a rival, and escapes by biting out the man's throat. On page 4, The Joker retaliates by stabbing the minion over and over again. By story's end, The Joker is delivered to Arkham Asylum and meets his rival and makes a pact with him. On the final page, we see how the bargain is sealed: The Joker's face is flensed from his head.

And that's just issue #1.

I may take this back to the library without reading the rest of it.

Comics: They're not just for kids any more! In fact, they're not for kids at all!

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

Comics: They're not just for kids any more! In fact, they're not for kids at all!

-- MSA

Unless those kids are Wednesday and Pugsly.

Mr. Silver Age said:

-- MSA

I had the same thought last night as I watched the 2nd episode of the new "Beware the Batman" show.  I enjoyed the show (ish) and I like the stylized character designs. 

But Holy Crow, I'd come to no end of grief on the home front if I let Action Lad see this version of Magpie in the {ahem} flesh.  Not to mention the "not nearly as subtle as they thought it was" innuendo.  "Not suitable for kids" isn't what you should be shooting for with a Batman cartoon on Cartoon Network.

Wow, what could they be thinking? I recorded those and plan to watch them soon. I'm not sure what I think of the animation, but I only saw a moment of it, and maybe it will grow on me. I didn't much like the GL show, but I'm looking forward to Teen Titans Go. I always liked the quirkiness of the earlier series, especially as I don't see any anime-like stuff otherwise.

-- MSA

I liked the Green Lantern cartoon, but I think primarily because Green Lantern was my favorite DC character when I was the Li'l Capn. The cartoon never got around what I now perceive as the intrinsic flaws of the series: Too many characters who can do exactly the same thing, and what they can do is ... anything. Even at my ripe old age I find it ridiculous that a competent Green Lantern could ever be defeated, given that they have Aladdin's Lamp on their finger. Anyway, I loved seeing Hal on the little screen, but armies of green ring-slingers is even more boring on screen than in print.

As a very long time comic book reader (since 1974!), I find myself increasingly disenchanted with the "New" 52; so I am only maintaining Aquaman, Batgirl, Batwoman, and Wonder Woman.

Legion of Superheroes and Demon Knights would still be on that list, but they're both coming to an end with issue 23 next month. :(

But I am not completely comic book less, for I also read and support Astro City, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Who, and The Unwritten.

The eight continuing titles above are a FAR cry from what I once did though.

Yet I cannot help wondering, have my tastes been changing over the years or has the comic book industry past me by for a younger skewing audience when I wasn't looking?

Six of one and half a dozen of the other probably, although some might be able to assign a greater percentage to the latter option.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Yet I cannot help wondering, have my tastes been changing over the years or has the comic book industry past me by for a younger skewing audience when I wasn't looking?

Now that I'm in my 50s, Lee, it's increasingly obvious that everything is aimed at someone younger than me. It's kinda disorienting sometimes, especially when I'm watching TV shows I like, but everyone in it is between the ages of 21 and 30. (See: Smallville. Even the "grizzled veteran" editor of The Daily Planet looked young enough to spank.) And don't get me started on advertising!

I'm in that decade too Cap. Should we save each other seats at the Senior Center and trade stories about the "good ol' days"? ;-)

THESE are the good old days!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service