As some of you know, I fell off the DC comp list with The New 52, and decided that was a sign from Zeus to start trade-waiting. And with the April solicits, I see decision time has arrived.

That is to say: Which trades or HCs will I buy? I'm certainly not going to pop for all 52, so I have to pick and choose. So let me ask you, Legionnaires:

• Which titles are so intrinsic to New 52 continuity that they are musts?
  • Which titles are just so flaming good that they are musts?
  • Which titles lend themselves to collections the best?
  • Which titles can be "safely" skipped?
  • Which titles are YOU buying?

And so forth. Sound off, folks! Which New 52 titles would you choose for the Captain Comics bookshelf?

Views: 5565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are definitely out there. Look at Image, Boom, and to a lesser extent, Dark Horse. In that order. IDW also has some really strong work out there and it's a high quality product as well.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Lee said:

I am not giving up on the medium, but I am hoping to see more unique (original) periodicals than I have in recent years.

I think they are out there. They just aren't being produced by the Big 2 for the most part.

Just saw this and had to find a random New 52 thread to post it in.

(from Our Valued Customers - a great sequence of cartoons.

They sure weren't popular with me! I think I've wiped that entire decade from my mental hard drive.

I suppose they were my glory days, socially speaking, but the comics mostly sucked until the back end of them!

Early '90s was Image "We don't need no stinkin' writers" Comics and Avengers in bomber jackets. I think I just stayed drunk until it was over.

A fine policy, given the circumstances.  Not completely on a tangent, Ireland was a very fun place to be in the 90s.  Party time!  Excellent!

Captain Comics said:

Early '90s was Image "We don't need no stinkin' writers" Comics and Avengers in bomber jackets. I think I just stayed drunk until it was over.

Y'know, I actually liked the bomber jackets ... 

And Marvel decided to have TWO of every character: Spider-Man/Venom, Thor/Thunderstrike, Iron Man/War Machine, Captain America/USAgent, Fantastic Four/Fantastic Force, X-Men/X Factor/X-Force, etc!

And DC managed to kill or cripple or corrupt all their main characters!

I'm with the Captain here!

Philip Portelli said:

And Marvel decided to have TWO of every character: Spider-Man/Venom, Thor/Thunderstrike, Iron Man/War Machine, Captain America/USAgent, Fantastic Four/Fantastic Force, X-Men/X Factor/X-Force, etc!

And DC managed to kill or cripple or corrupt all their main characters!

I'm with the Captain here!

Once, while I was diving into the quarter bins, I ran across a miniseries that featured Captain America, Thor and Iron Man versus USAgent, Thunderstrike and War Machine.

I put it back. I mean, really -- how long would it take for the first-stringers to defeat the copycats?

But the blow-ins would have been prepared to get PRAGMATIC on their ass, and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to GET THE JOB DONE!!!!

I don't know about THIS guy but I will admit that I liked Thunderstrike when he was Thor II but when they gave him that thunder-mace and ponytail, they lost me!

Figserello said:

But the blow-ins would have been prepared to get PRAGMATIC on their ass, and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to GET THE JOB DONE!!!!

"Thundermace and Ponytail" sounds like it should have been a '70s movie starring Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service