As some of you know, I fell off the DC comp list with The New 52, and decided that was a sign from Zeus to start trade-waiting. And with the April solicits, I see decision time has arrived.

That is to say: Which trades or HCs will I buy? I'm certainly not going to pop for all 52, so I have to pick and choose. So let me ask you, Legionnaires:

• Which titles are so intrinsic to New 52 continuity that they are musts?
  • Which titles are just so flaming good that they are musts?
  • Which titles lend themselves to collections the best?
  • Which titles can be "safely" skipped?
  • Which titles are YOU buying?

And so forth. Sound off, folks! Which New 52 titles would you choose for the Captain Comics bookshelf?

Views: 5605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes they would be if you didn't already have the original books and wanted to trade-wait <I learned a word today! ;-) >

But then you would be behind in what was going on and could not comment on what to buy or not to buy!

Those are reasons not to wait on the collections, certainly, but not because the price is out of line. I think the price comparison is one more reason to hold off and read the story all at once in a nice package. I don't see too many people talking about them issue by issue, as often happens with TV shows, but your mileage may vary on that.

-- MSA

With discounts at various online sellers -- not least Amazon -- the trades are generally cheaper than the six (or so) issues. HCs generally cost more than the individual books, but again, you can often find a great deal at DeepDiscount or somewhere. "Google shopping" is an invaluable tool! 

But, right, the downside of trade-waiting is that you're never current. 

Not that I'm against collected volumes, btw. I have, amoung other things, Starman, Swamp Thing, Fables, Y-The Last Man, JLA, JSA and various Batman sagas in TPB form. Not to mention Archives, Essentials and Showcases.

I'm saying that it's too expensive to buy the individual issues, then the HC and/or TPB. No many current books are worth that but that's one's own judgement call.

Cap said - But, right, the downside of trade-waiting is that you're never current.

Well, to be fair, there's not much conversation about Justice League on a monthly basis.  No new twists, or intriguing concepts or fun commentary on the world beyond the page, from what I gather.  It sounds like more brand service and the mixing and matching of old properties, except now with piping on the costumes.

For the most part - "It might work best in collected form" is the best thing I've seen written about it.

I'm saying that it's too expensive to buy the individual issues, then the HC and/or TPB. No many current books are worth that but that's one's own judgement call.

Whoa, that's for sure! I would really have to like a book a whole lot more than I like anything I'm currently reading to buy the monthlies and then buy the collected version. There are benefits to both versions, but I decide quickly which makes sense. There's too much interesting stuff out there to be buying most comics twice.

At best, I might pick up the TPB if I find it discounted (and many of them are within a year at comics cons for half-price) if I really think it's something I'd pull out to reference or reread someday. But I seldom reread comics, much less rebuy them.

-- MSA

I'll add my .02:

All Star Western: - One of my faves, although the backups are doing little for me too.

Blue Beetle: - If you want to see one of the most charming recent characters and supporting casts have all the life and charam sucked out of them and turned grim 'n' gritty, this is for you.

Frankenstein: - I'm surprised to say I'm digging this.  I would like a little more character development, but so far it's been fun.

Justice League Dark: - I'm on the fence here.  I was curious to see how they would handle John Constantine in the DCU, and it's not bad, but the story seems to be taking forever to tell.

Justice League International: I'm much preferring this to the BWA-HA-HA Justice league, precisely because it isn't that. There is character development, none of the characters are being treated like cheap jokes, and so far it's working nicely for me.

Red Hood: - I was so prepared to hate this after the first issue, but now I'm really enjoying it.  I'm enjoying that the stories aren't being slotted into six-issue arcs for the trade (at least not yet), I'm enjoying the character development of both Jason and Kori (and trust me, I've never been a Jason Todd fan).  I have to recommend this one.

...Okay , I re-read SUPERMAN #5 to-day and may pick up #6 at the ol' LCS , so (spoilers) ,.........

It's interesting . Finding out what's happened to at least some of the new plot elements in the " _ years earlier " ACTION is - interesting - Lois and both Clark and Supes having never picked up with each other to date is - intersting , I think there's been an art change in George's issues as WRITER (& lay-out-er - If it's that ??? - too) , the spouse?? team on #5 were rather Neal Adams-y...

I'm tending to be on the perpetual edge of " I'm giving this up ! "/a state of exasperation with the much-vaunted ACTION , actually.........I'm still on it , however.........

I don't care for Gerry Ordway's work, specifically the way he draws eyes. I decided to keep going with the DC Universe Presents to learn about characters I was unfamiliar with. The first issue of the Challengers arc didn't blow me away but I'm in it for the long haul. It has potential.
Jeff of Earth-J said:

DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS is not one of my usual titles, by I bought last week’s because it featured Jerry Ordway on Challengers of the Unknown. Dan Didio’s story put a new twist on why this particular group was together in the first place, and adds Nanda Parbat into the origin mix. I’ll take this opportunity to disagree with Jason’s assessment, but Jerry Ordway is one of those artists I’ll follow from assignment to assignment. He’s well-suited to the Challs.

It's hard to write about Justice League because the issues are just so quick. Once it's finished it'll be easier to give a full assessment of the story overall.

However, I do like it. There's notthing particularly new or deep to it. However it's a lot of fun. It feels like a huge Summer blockbuster. Lots of explosions and super heroes doing super things. If a Justice League movie were to be made, this feels like it could easily provide the basis for it. I haven't been dissapointed by any of the characterizations. Everyone has had a moment to shine thus far. Even the intro of Cyborg was handled well.

The art is amazing though. As I said earlier Jim Lee's art has never looked better.

The issues just go by so fast. Each issue does progress the story but you're wanting more and then it's over. It's just fast paced fun. Like I said nothing deep but solid popcorn entertainment.

Figserello said:

Cap said - But, right, the downside of trade-waiting is that you're never current.

Well, to be fair, there's not much conversation about Justice League on a monthly basis.  No new twists, or intriguing concepts or fun commentary on the world beyond the page, from what I gather.  It sounds like more brand service and the mixing and matching of old properties, except now with piping on the costumes.

For the most part - "It might work best in collected form" is the best thing I've seen written about it.

Thanks for the response, Jason.  That's great that you're enjoying it, and that it's working at the level of a summer blockbuster.

With the caveat that you've read these comics and I haven't...

From what you say, it seems to be doing exactly what the majority of those hardcore fans still into collecting mainstream superhero comics want.  A few set-pieces strung together.  Cool moments for the heroes.  Not much subtext.  From the speed you talk about reading each issue, I'm guessing that there are plenty of single page splashes and minimal panel numbers per page.

I'd worry that this was supposed to be the flagship book of the Nu52, and if any book was going to bring in new readers it would be this one.  But readers not habituated to expecting those qualities you've described (or like me*, actually put off by them) would just see a lot of posing and very little real content for their $3.99.  They'd also be somewhat dismayed at the thought that they'll be half a year older before the story they are following in minute monthly portions is resolved!  (Or partly resolved!  No doubt there will be plenty of set-up for future stories.)

The initial 6 month storyline also precludes people from jumping on until issue 7 if they have missed the first few issues.

I dunno, Figs -- Justice League is a pretty fun book. It's not deep, but every issue has some cool action scenes and some snappy lines. While I'd like to see it move more quickly, it strikes me as being a pretty solid book for a new reader. It's FUN -- and probably even more fun for people who haven't seen some of these tricks before. It's exactly at summer blockbuster level, and those things are blockbusters for a reason. Nuance isn't necessarily a selling point.

And between digital and the regular reprinted editions, there's no reason anyone has to wait until issue 7 to start. I'm pretty sure my shop has all of the issues available in one edition or another, and digital is always available.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service