In a sidebar to my December CBG column on good reading for Silver Age fans in 2010, I suggested five collections that I wanted to see in 2011. Amazingly enough, between the time I wrote the column and it was published, TWO of those collections (Sugar & Spike and SSOSV) were announced!

That’s a pretty good average, and it indicates either that the publishers are listening to their readers or we all agree on where the gaps are (and that most of the low-hanging fruit has long been picked). So what other collections do we still need?

Long-time AMSA fan Tom DeWitt suggested a few to me in an e-mail, leading me to add a few more to my own list. Here’s what would be coming soon, if I were in charge:

Essential Sgt. Fury #1: This lapse stands out more every day. Jack Kirby and a key Silver Age Marvel comic unreprinted? Houston, we have a problem.

Essential Not Brand Echh: Virtually timeless and hilarious, especially when the writers and artists parody their own comics. What’s the hold up here? Are they afraid DC will complain?

Go-Go Archives: Charlton’s groovy 1966 series starring Miss Bikini Luv (on which Jim Aparo made his comics debut in #6) is little seen and pricey when it does show up. It’s crying to be reprinted! At least, I’m crying that it hasn’t been.

Scribbly Archives: Once that S&S volume takes off, they’ll no doubt want to get more of Mayer’s work into print. This would be my A #1 way to go. It’s hilarious stuff with excellent art. It’s truly a long shot, but considering some of the oddball stuff that Marvel is putting out from approximately this same time period, this would be a great one for DC to try.

Capt. Savage &  His Leatherneck Raiders and Combat Kelley & His Deadly Dozen: I have to admit, as I was not a major War fan back in the day, I’m not too familiar with either of these. But that’s a good reason to get them out there now, as I’d definitely be curious enough to buy a b&w collection of either.

Mark Marlin: It was not my suggestion, but we all know it’s just a matter of time.

Essential Westerns. Likewise, I was not much interested in the Rawhide Kid Masterworks collection, as it was too little bang for the buck, IMO—and apparently others agreed, as no more have followed. But as Essential volumes, I’d buy Kid Colt, Rawhide and Two-Gun for sure. There are other shorter-run westerns that might make up a good collection after these run their course, too.

Brave & Bold also-rans: We’ve mentioned this one before on the AMSA board. I’m not sure how you position it, but we all know the issues we’re talking about here: the ones that weren’t popular enough to get their own series and seldom get reprinted as a result. Heck, they’d have several volumes worth of Viking Prince, Robin Hood, Suicide Squad, etc. to print in succession before they even had to start leaving out anything when the JLA arrived in #28. Maybe they could run the covers to those issues and continue with Cave Carson, more Suicide Squad and Strange Sports Stories. I think those would be great volumes. But what do you call it? The Worst of Brave & Bold?

Rip Hunter: I’m surprised this one hasn’t already been produced, considering he has some name recognition. The Sea Devils is a more iffy proposition but falls into the same category, no doubt. They both have the same demographic make-up as most adventure teams back then, but they are unlike any other comics from that time and deserve some time in the sun.

1950s Batman: It’s a shame that the collections began with the “New Look” stories, which is so late into the Silver Age, but it’s understandable that those show the most recognizable Batman. Even so, all those wacky 1950s stories deserve to be reprinted, if only because so many fewer of them have ever been reprinted. And it’s apparent that the Archives will never get there.

Any others?

-- MSA

Views: 9040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When the hardcovers of The Spirit were published I would have bought the later volumes if they had been published first. Because they didn't do that I never bought any of them, figuring I had most or all of it in Warren and Kitchen Sink reprints.

resurrected photo res.gif

Infinity Inc needs to be collected. I never bought the series but have been curious about it since I returned to comics years ago, particularly because of its references in Neil Gaiman's Sandman epic.

I'll second that! There was a hardcover that reprinted the first five issues (of a ten issue story arc) and not their All Star Squadron debut! 

Actually, All Star Squadron NEEDS a full-color (or colour) collection or two or three....

Richard Willis said:

resurrected photo res.gif

Infinity Inc needs to be collected. I never bought the series but have been curious about it since I returned to comics years ago, particularly because of its references in Neil Gaiman's Sandman epic.

Philip, I looked it up as I was wondering how long ago this collection was released.  DC announced that there would be 2 volumes of the Generations Saga.  Volume 1 was released in June 2011.  It actually did collect the debut of Infinity Inc. - All-Star Squadron 25, 26, and Annual 2 are part of this hardcover collection, along with the first four issues of Infinity Inc.  The 2nd volume was supposed to come out in 2012, but was cancelled.  It was supposed to collect Infinity Inc. 5-18 and Annual 1.  I'm guessing low sales of Vol 1 killed Vol 2.  Frankly I don't know what DC was thinking doing this as a $40 hardcover instead of a $20 tpb.  The back issues are not expensive or hard to come by.

Jeff of Earth-J covered this back then: http://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/infinity-inc-the-generat...

Philip Portelli said:

I'll second that! There was a hardcover that reprinted the first five issues (of a ten issue story arc) and not their All Star Squadron debut! 

Actually, All Star Squadron NEEDS a full-color (or colour) collection or two or three....

Richard Willis said:

resurrected photo res.gif

Infinity Inc needs to be collected. I never bought the series but have been curious about it since I returned to comics years ago, particularly because of its references in Neil Gaiman's Sandman epic.

How about the Dan Jurgans Teen Titans series?

Not too ground-breaking but beautiful art and the Warlord storyline along with the spotlight on the old guard issues (sooo like Titans Hunt decades later!) were highlights for me.

And the funny thing is that I own the darn book!

John Dunbar said:

Philip, I looked it up as I was wondering how long ago this collection was released.  DC announced that there would be 2 volumes of the Generations Saga.  Volume 1 was released in June 2011.  It actually did collect the debut of Infinity Inc. - All-Star Squadron 25, 26, and Annual 2 are part of this hardcover collection, along with the first four issues of Infinity Inc.  The 2nd volume was supposed to come out in 2012, but was cancelled.  It was supposed to collect Infinity Inc. 5-18 and Annual 1.  I'm guessing low sales of Vol 1 killed Vol 2.  Frankly I don't know what DC was thinking doing this as a $40 hardcover instead of a $20 tpb.  The back issues are not expensive or hard to come by.

Jeff of Earth-J covered this back then: http://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/infinity-inc-the-generat...

Philip Portelli said:

I'll second that! There was a hardcover that reprinted the first five issues (of a ten issue story arc) and not their All Star Squadron debut! 

Actually, All Star Squadron NEEDS a full-color (or colour) collection or two or three....

Richard Willis said:

resurrected photo res.gif

Infinity Inc needs to be collected. I never bought the series but have been curious about it since I returned to comics years ago, particularly because of its references in Neil Gaiman's Sandman epic.

I just bought an incomplete set of Infinity Inc on eBay. I'll have to fill it in with single issues until I have enough to satisfy the completist in me. I'll probably go as far as the Crisis and then stop.    

You should get the latter issues of the series as well. It was one of the few Post-Crisis books that tried to explain the new continuity (big shock there) as well as still honor DC's Golden Age. Titles from the 90s like Sandman, Hourman and, of course, JSA drew inspiration from Infinity, Inc.

Richard Willis said:

I just bought an incomplete set of Infinity Inc on eBay. I'll have to fill it in with single issues until I have enough to satisfy the completist in me. I'll probably go as far as the Crisis and then stop.    

Between eBay and MyComicShop.com I have assembled the following run covering the early Infinity Inc stories, and am enjoying them as time permits.

All-Star Squadron 25, 26, and Annual 2

Infinity Inc 1-25 and Annual 1


Richard Willis said:

I just bought an incomplete set of Infinity Inc on eBay. I'll have to fill it in with single issues until I have enough to satisfy the completist in me. I'll probably go as far as the Crisis and then stop.    

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service