WOLVERINE #1:

Now that my “Frank Miller Daredevil” discussion is nearing the end of Miller’s first run, I find myself in the mood to read the 1982 Wolverine limited series, also by Miller (with Chris Claremont). Wolverine was only Marvel’s third limited series (following Contest of Champions and Hercules). I remember Rich Lane saying that this series should have been the end of Wolverine’s story, but when I tried to verify that with him over the weekend he didn’t remember. I haven’t actually read the story myself in 20 years, but I’m going to read it with an eye toward determining whether or not that’s true.

In 1982, I had only recently entered a comic book shop for the first time after three years of collecting only three titles via subscription. Frank Miller was the new “Big Thing” at the time, and I was only just discovering his work. Miller’s Wolverine inker was Josef Rubinstein (as opposed to his Daredevil inker, Klaus Janson). Rubinstein is neither better nor worse than Janson; just different. I read Wolverine’s first appearances in Hulk #181 and Giant-Size X-Men #1 in “real time,” but this may have been my first time seeing him without his mask. Wolverine walked out of X-Men #168 into the first issue of his own (limited) series. As the story opens, Logan is tracking a rogue grizzly bear that has killed seven men, three women and five kids. He finds it driven mad by a poisoned arrow in its back. He tracks the hunter who didn’t confirm the kill and brings him to justice.

I think this issue may be the first use of his csatch-phrase, “I’m the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn’t very nice.”

He soon discovers that his lady love, Mariko Yashida, has returned from Japan. Furthermore, all his recent letters to her have been returned unopened. He follows her to Japan and is met by Japanese official Asano Kimura, also an old friend, at immigration. He learns that Mariko father, missing since her childhood, has returned, and that now she is married. He goes to her ancestral stronghold, where he finds her bruised and beated. She is bound by Giri, however, and will not leave. Wolverine confronts her husband, but ultimately admits defeat and intends to leave Japan. He is ambushed from behind by poisoned shuriken.

When he awakens, he is maneuvered into a dual with Mariko’s father with wooden practice swords. Her father cheats, however, and Wolverine is defeated. He wakes up in a Tokyo alley where his is about to be mugged. Suddenly, an unknown woman comes to his rescue.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correct.

“BLOOD HUNGRY” – (MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #85-91):

I started buying Marvel Comics Presents at the very beginning, but dropped it after coming to the realization that, at most, I was enjoying only two features in any given issue (and after the Black Panther serial by Don McGregor and Gene Colan had run its course). I started picking it up again for Barry Windsor-Smith’s “Weapon X” and had planned to drop it again after that, but “Blood Hungry,” by Peter David and Sam Keith, was the serial immediately following. I liked Peter David, but Sam Keith (who was also doing flip covers for MCP at the time) was the big draw for me.

Recently Marvel reprinted the first three chapters of “Blood Hungry” in it $1 “True Beliervers” line, and I couldn’t pass the opportunity to see even a portion of this story on slick paper for such a low price. If you will allow me a brief “digression” (I’m shameless), I would also like to sing the praises of Marvel’s “True Believers” line. I don’t often buy them because most of what they’ve reprinted is already available in Marvel Masterworks or other high end series, but for collectors just starting out (if there is such a thing), it a great way to accumulate a variety of comics for cheap. Even if one collected only those titles, that would make a pretty nifty collection.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service