Brian Michael Bendis's second Wonder Comics offering was mostly wonderful.

First, the writing was nice and crisp and flowed nicely. It didn't seem to drag anywhere. Bendis and David F. Walker turned in a great script on this one. We were taken through just a couple days in a sleepy town where Superman has been through during a fight with Mongul, just for a few seconds.

Secondly, the art was beautiful. It almost came off as painterly, and the colors reminded me of Ariel Olivetti's work. The line work looked different than that, but in a good way. I look greatly forward to seeing more from Jamal Campbell.

My only wish is that they would have just gone ahead and said who Naomi's parents were on the last page. It seems like the obvious first page on the second issue, and it would have been a bigger cliffhanger in my opinion than what they did.

Anyway, I'm onboard for this series for the foreseeable future as well. I'm looking forward to Dial H for Hero and Wonder Twins.

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think we know specifically WHO her dad is supposed to be -- but he's not an earthling, and his uniform (and the presence of a Thanagarian in the story already) suggest he might be from Rann. 

Well! Naomi #4 seems to indicate that Naomi has some pretty strong connections to the Black Lanterns! This is definitely a new twist on things, and even more satisfying to me than the fact that her dad is from Rann. Her past is definitely complicated, and I look forward to seeing where it leads.

Yeah, between Rann, Thanagar, the other dimension she came from  (wherever it is) and the Black Lanterns (if that's what that symbol is -- it looks similar, but not the same to me), she's certainly got a lot going on!

I managed to snag a copy of the first issue.  It ended up on the Pile O'Shame, which means I have (gulp) yet to read it.  I was very lucky, as I got #1 for cover price in late March.  Right now on ebay, a NM copy goes for well over $100, and the subsequent issues are also well above cover price.  Issue four came out a few weeks ago, and the cheapest I've seen it is $20 already.  I'll be happy to grab second printings of the other issues, just as soon as, you know, I can track them down.

Yipes! That's the point I would have just decided to wait for the trade!

Honestly, at the snail's pace with which this first story has moved, it would not be a bad idea at all.

John Dunbar said:

I managed to snag a copy of the first issue.  It ended up on the Pile O'Shame, which means I have (gulp) yet to read it.  I was very lucky, as I got #1 for cover price in late March.  Right now on ebay, a NM copy goes for well over $100, and the subsequent issues are also well above cover price.  Issue four came out a few weeks ago, and the cheapest I've seen it is $20 already.  I'll be happy to grab second printings of the other issues, just as soon as, you know, I can track them down.

And digital copies are cover price!

I read Naomi #5 today, and  am really happy with how this turned out. They made a good use of Crisis--treated it like more of a tool for the story than anything--and developed a great backstory for the character. It's darn believable if you can transport yourself to a world with aliens and extra-dimensional Earths.

The story is fantastic, and the art is pretty good. I think the art would be a little better if they would lay off of the digital paint-coloring and do it more traditionally.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service