Replies

• Like one of the Vulture commenters, I noted that the article said WW's first movie was set in WWII when it actually was set in WWI.

• He's the Sharon Carter of the DCEU!
  • At that point, it's been longer than most of our lifetimes between WWI and 1984, so a direct sequel doesn't make much sense anyway. They didn't say it's a different Wonder Woman, did they?

• If you read the article, they're basically saying, "yeah, it's in continuity, but it stands on its own, so it's not a sequel, even though it pretty much fits any sane person's working definition of 'sequel.'"

It's all a part of DC's coherent game-plan for their movies!

• As I understand it, DC's "coherent game-plan for their movies" is to stop trying to make them part of an interconnected whole like the Marvel movies. That's how they can offer a Joker stand-alone movie starring Joaquin Phoenix that is unrelated to The Joker in the last Suicide Squad movie or the next one ... if they even put The Joker in the next Suicide Squad movie, which I am not sure has been settled on.

It's a good move by my lights. Marvel has perfected that approach, and DC, to put it nicely ... hasn't. Part of it is that, as Captain Comics once noted, DC thinks its directors are auteurs. But too many of those directors seem to think making the movies entertaining is an irrelevant consideration.

I just read today that Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison are writing a script for the Flash movie. That's because Miller wants a dark take on the film, but DC doesn't, having woken up to how Aquaman and Wonder Woman were bigger hits, commercially and critically, than all of the other DC movies. Plus, Shazam! is going in whole hog on comedy.

Miller is doing this with no guarantee his script will be accepted, and it's unsure if he'll do the movie if it's not. But his deal might expire anyway if the poobahs don't make up their minds soon.

• Yeah, I did read the article--I was just wondering if I had missed something, because the headline seemed to be leading us down an inaccurate path, most likely to stir controversy.

JD DeLuzio said:

If you read the article, they're basically saying, "yeah, it's in continuity, but it stands on its own, so it's not a sequel, even though it pretty much fits any sane person's working definition of 'sequel.'"

• ClarkKent_DC said:

As I understand it, DC's "coherent game-plan for their movies" is to stop trying to make them part of an interconnected whole like the Marvel movies. That's how they can offer a Joker stand-alone movie starring Joaquin Phoenix that is unrelated to The Joker in the last Suicide Squad movie or the next one ... if they even put The Joker in the next Suicide Squad movie, which I am not sure has been settled on.

Case in point: "WB Boss: Less 'Connected' is the 'Right Strategy' for DCEU Films R...

• WB boss Kevin Tsujihara forced out for "sex for casting scandal.

https://www.thewrap.com/warnermedia-to-investigate-ties-between-stu...

This reply was deleted.