Warner Bros has released the first image of Adrianne Palicki in her WW costume for the TV show:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/129048-first-look-at-adr...

I actually think she looks pretty good, except for two things:

1. Her boots should be red, to offset her pants, not the same color.

2. Stars.

The comments are definitely running negative, and I'm not sure how those pants will really look in action, but I understand why they don't want her in a bathing suit.

It's by David Kelley, which means it has a lot of potential for being fun or being awful. I doubt it will be somewhere in between.

I've got my fingers crossed that it will be watchable. A lot of that will depend on the supporting cast and villains. The last thing DC (or I) want is a WW that disappears quickly.

-- MSA

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adrianne Palicki is not my idea of WW. But if there's another Elektra movie -- doubtful, after the debacle of the 2005 Jennifer Garner vehicle -- she would be a good choice.

Wonder Woman's costume was always going to be a problem. It really is a kitsch outfit - essentially a star spangled swimsuit - even within the comic pages. Although I am so used to seeing that red/bue/yellow super suit it bypasses me, but it's ridiculous-ness reawakens on a living person. It's the primary blue and red together - you wouldn't wear that in the street, even in running gear.

Super-hero costumes are dificult to translate from comics to film anyway - which is why Batman has such a bleak costume on film today - and a lot of the Marvel heroes are darker (and they've done it again with Captain America and the Spider-Man reboot).

Does this darker version look any better?

Note: the red boots are back ...

I think black leather works well for Batman and the X-Men, who are trying to be subdued. But for Superman and WW, especially, I think the point is to be bright and visible. The comic book style looks garish on the screen, so they tone it back, but if they go too far with every hero, it loses a lot. I like every version better than all black. There's nothing "super" there.

I frankly don't see Captain America working no matter how bright or dark they make him. The photos I've seen of him in his costume during WWII just look strange. I've seen enough WWII movies that he just doesn't fit. What's the point? To draw mortar rounds?

Officers used to take the bars off their helmets because snipers and gunners would aim for the brass. Cap makes a gigantic target with a star on his chest. I need to be convinced.

-- MSA

I don't really care, but she doesn't look like Wonder Woman at all, more like a petulant teenager.  Perhaps I'll be proven wrong--and honestly, I hope I am--but I can't help feeling that they cast her because she's tall and because she has a bit of a name.
Neither have I, but apparently she has been on major network TV before on a regular basis.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I don't know, I'd never heard of her before.

Randy Jackson said:

I don't really care, but she doesn't look like Wonder Woman at all, more like a petulant teenager.  Perhaps I'll be proven wrong--and honestly, I hope I am--but I can't help feeling that they cast her because she's tall and because she has a bit of a name.
That helps -- really, it does. A total unknown with no acting credits is begging for disaster.

www.imdb.com/name/nm1597316/

Here are Palicki's credits, courtesy of the Internet Movie Database. She was a regular on "Friday Night Lights," appeared in the  unsold "Aquaman" pilot, and she's in the "Red Dawn" remake, among other credits.

As for the new series, it seems odd to argue over something we haven't seen.

We're not really arguing over the series, though, just what they officially released. It'd be one thing if these were stolen design prototypes, but this was the costume (whether Photoshopped or not) that NBC released, essentially to say, "What do you think?" So commenting on it seems fair.

A total unknown with no acting credits is begging for disaster.

She's got some acting credits, but I imagine they wanted someone who wasn't too well known for anything else. Other bigger-name candidates I've heard included Megan Fox, Charisma Carpenter and Jessica Biel. I'm not sure that would be a better direction to go. Linda Carter had done only a few TV shows before she became WW, and that worked out.

When people say she doesn't "look like" WW, does that mean she doesn't look like Linda Carter, or she doesn't look like how she's drawn in the comics? Her look in the comics has been all over the place, from what I see. 

-- MSA

I'm hoping for the best. Alan Sepinwall (the TV critic I follow) was a big fan of Friday Night Lights, and says she's a good choice for the role, so I believe him. The costume looks to me like it's pretty well-designed out of cheap-looking materials.But no superhero costume looks terribly good to me in live-action: if it ain't ink on paper, it's all cosplay to me.
Rob Staeger said:
But no superhero costume looks terribly good to me in live-action: if it ain't ink on paper, it's all cosplay to me.

What’s the matter with the clothes I’m wearing?
Can’t you tell that your boots are blue?
Maybe I should put some stars on my corset?
Welcome back to World War II.
There’s no hidin’ out for you, now, honey.
Invisible planes cost the network money.
Everybody’s talkin’ ‘bout your new look, Wondy
But it’s still just cosplay to me.

Ohhhhhhhhhh …..
It doesn’t matter what you wear in the comics
‘Cause NBC is a brand new scene.
David Kelley’s in town
He says you can’t walk around
Like you’re dressed in a magazine
Aimed at your average male teen

How about a little star-spangled mini
And an eagle on your bustier?
Your demographic is the 18-to-40s
So you know you have to pay to play.
Don’t waste your money on an underwire from Playtex,
The boys want you bouncy in some skin-tight latex
Golden Age, Silver Age, even “Emma Peel” days
It’s still just cosplay to me.

Doctor Hmmm? said:
Rob Staeger said:
But no superhero costume looks terribly good to me in live-action: if it ain't ink on paper, it's all cosplay to me.

What’s the matter with the clothes I’m wearing?
Can’t you tell that your boots are blue?
Maybe I should put some stars on my corset?
Welcome back to World War II.
There’s no hidin’ out for you, now, honey.
Invisible planes cost the network money.

Ohhhhhhhhhh …..
It doesn’t matter what you wear in the comics
‘Cause NBC is a brand new scene.
David Kelley’s in town
He says you can’t walk around
Like you’re dressed in a magazine
Aimed at your average male teen

How about a little star-spangled mini
And an eagle on your bustier?
Your demographic is the 18-to-40s
So you know you have to pay to play.
Don’t waste your money on an underwire from Playtex,
The boys want you bouncy in some skin-tight latex
Golden Age, Silver Age, even “Emma Peel” days
It’s still just cosplay to me.

Photobucket

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service