Warner Bros has released the first image of Adrianne Palicki in her WW costume for the TV show:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/129048-first-look-at-adr...

I actually think she looks pretty good, except for two things:

1. Her boots should be red, to offset her pants, not the same color.

2. Stars.

The comments are definitely running negative, and I'm not sure how those pants will really look in action, but I understand why they don't want her in a bathing suit.

It's by David Kelley, which means it has a lot of potential for being fun or being awful. I doubt it will be somewhere in between.

I've got my fingers crossed that it will be watchable. A lot of that will depend on the supporting cast and villains. The last thing DC (or I) want is a WW that disappears quickly.

-- MSA

Views: 995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thefilmtalk.com/blog/kick-ass-and-why-i-dont-like-comic-book-movies/

Here's some interesting comments from a guy in Nashville who doesn't like superhero movies (though he gives "Dark Knight"  a pass). I see merit in some of these comments, especially about "Kick-Ass."

I don't agree with everything Roger Ebert writes, but when he described "Kick-Ass" as "morally reprehensible," I nodded in agreement.

Although Howard the Duck laid an egg (which is a neat trick for a male duck) I liked the movie too. I thought the script was totally Steve Gerber-esqe while keeping within Hollywood restrictions.

What George Lucas should have done differently was, once Howard reached Earth, rotoscope in an animated duck ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and a lot of Disney's live action/animation movies. Then, in the climax where it looked like Howard might be going back home, reinsert the midget in the duck suit parade again. The end credits listed EIGHT different performers as Howard!

Too bad Lucas can't (or won't) go back and upgrade this movie like he did the original Star Wars trilogy (IV, V, and VI).

"Too groovy for gravy, too precious for pate!" indeed.

But the general public not in the know seems to judge the comic book industry through the movie adaptations, and we're only as good as the last release. If Thor bombs, that will reflect poorly upon Green Lantern and Captain America before they even debut and possibly earn them reviews they don't deserve.

...Even if it does not go to series I presume , with all this publicity , the (presumed) TV-movie-length pilot will be shown on TV and then DVDd ?

"Although Howard the Duck laid an egg (which is a neat trick for a male duck) I liked the movie too. I thought the script was totally Steve Gerber-esqe while keeping within Hollywood restrictions."

It was more like Gerber as interpreted for an audience of 7-year-olds.

After the movie came out and was a major flop, Universal's top production execs reportedly got into a fistfight while arguing over who was to blame for greenlighting the movie. Which they denied, and which is funnier than anything on screen in the "Howard" movie.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

But the general public not in the know seems to judge the comic book industry through the movie adaptations, and we're only as good as the last release. If Thor bombs, that will reflect poorly upon Green Lantern and Captain America before they even debut and possibly earn them reviews they don't deserve.

Oh, I don't know about that. There have been enough successful superhero movies -- the X-Men franchise, the first two Spider-Man films, the Iron Man franchise -- that the world can tolerate the mediocre (Ghost Rider, Daredevil) and the rotten (Catwoman, The Spirit).
Iron Man, Spider-man and X-Men were strong series, but it's strange how we've yet to get a good THIRD movie in a trilogy.
I'm crossing my fingers the next Batman movie completes the triumvirate of three GREAT movies in a series.

Mr. Silver Age said: "She's got some acting credits, but I imagine they wanted someone who wasn't too well known for anything else."

That seems to be the strategy with superhero movies. Hire someone young and relatively unknown (i.e., cheap) to play the hero, and surround him/her with veteran character actors. That goes back to the first "Superman" movie in 1978, and I suppose to the "Batman" TV series in 1966. (Although Adam West had been appearing in movies and TV shows since the late '50s, he wasn't exactly a household name.)

Ben Affleck's casting as Daredevil was considered unique because he was already a famous actor at the time. However,. there are reports that the role of Superman was offered to major stars in the ' 70s (Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, etc). Warren Beatty claims he actually put on the costume when they were pursuing him for the role.

Dandy wrote: "Super-hero costumes are dificult to translate from comics to film anyway - which is why Batman has such a bleak costume on film today - and a lot of the Marvel heroes are darker (and they've done it again with Captain America and the Spider-Man reboot)."

The situation is improving, now that CGI allows filmmakers to paint costumes on the actors' bodies. That's as close as we're likely to get to the skin-tight look of the drawings. Green Lantern's costume looks good in the trailer (and will probably look better in the finished film), which wouldn't have been possible in earlier times.

It's been pointed out, time and again, that comic-book heroes and heroines are really naked people with lines and colors on them. As John Buscema once said: "Superheroes are great if you enjoy drawing nudes."

I'm crossing my fingers the next Batman movie completes the triumvirate of three GREAT movies in a series.

I think I'm alone in not being that impressed with The Dark Knight. The acting was great, and it was a really interesting version of the Joker. And I suppose I've seen and considered the various philosophical points that were brought up, so those didn't seem that insightful to me, but at least they were there.

But I felt that Batman most often wasn't battling the Joker, he was battling Loki, the trickster God. Need to have a bribed cop, out of all the cops in Gotham, be the one riding in the limo with the commish? Done. Need to gather a whole bunch of people onto two ferries, in which the entire bottom level of both are filled with explosives? Done. Need to distribute and wire bombs throughout a hospital? Done. The Joker's ability to be anywhere and do anything just kept getting sillier and sillier, IMO. Maybe I need to see it again.

I hear the third one has Bane and Selina Kyle, which may mean Catwoman (although she wasn't mentioned). At least it's a new villain and not quite as hokey as the others, but I'm hoping for the best and fearing the worst.

Meanwhile, I see the Superman movie has signed Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Ma and Pa Kent, as well as Amy Adams as Lois Lane. To which I can only say, "Ma and Pa Kent?!! They're younger than me!"

-- MSA

That was my thinking on Smallville with John Schneider and Annette O'Toole. "Let's have Ma and Pa Kent but let's make them hot!!"

They took that approach in the SA too, for some reason. They suddenly decided Ma and Pa looked too old, so they made them younger. Needless to say, I didn't think it was necessary at that point, and I was never convinced those were really Ma and Pa. First of all, you don't call people who look that young "Ma and Pa."

But the story had it happen because alien TV producers were using Superboy's life as a reality show, and audiences weren't accepting how old Ma and Pa looked.So he essentially drugged them to make them younger. I think that's pretty much what's going on here.

I admit, Superman's parents SHOULD be younger than me, and there's no reason they can't be hot (although I'm not sure the teenage boys watching Smallville really spent much time thinking about how hot Ma Kent was).

But that implies that Superman is considerably younger than me, and I just won't admit that. It's not possible.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service