Plans are in the works for a Wonder Woman TV series, says The Hollywood Reporter"Wonder Woman Headed to TV with David E. Kelley"

Producer David E. Kelley is the man who gave us Ally McBeal, Boston Legal and The Practice.

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sarah Lancaster would be a wonderful selection!

I also humbly suggest you consider Nadia Bjorlin, whom I first suggested here!
Philip Portelli said:

An unknown would probably work best but If Nicholson was jarring, what about Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney? Hackman and Brando? Arnold!!!! Patrick Stewart, Halle Berry, Sir Ian Mckellan, Alan Cummings, Kelsey Grammar? Downey and Paltrow? Affleck, Garner and Farrell? Nicolas Cage?
Jeff of Earth-J said:
I just as soon see an unknown cast in the role. The one thing (well, one of the many things) that kept jerking me out of the 1989 Batman movie was everytime the Joker appeared on screen I thought, "It's Jack Nicholson."

I would argue that Nicholson was jarring in Batman because he wasn't being an actor; he was being a "star."

Going down the line, Keaton worked better than expected (boy, do I remember the outcry when he was cast!) because he was being an actor. Kilmer can't act, and Clooney was buried under the weight of high expectations and general cheesiness. Having Arnold in his movie didn't help.

As for the rest, I'd say Randy is right that movies need movie stars, and (most of) the stars in the X-Men movies were just fine. Likewise, Affleck, Garner and Farrell in Daredevil. One might argue about how well they did what they did, but I could buy them in the roles.

Hackman and Brando in Superman? They were the draw that got the movie made, because back then, Christopher Reeve was an unknown (he was third-billed in his own movie!).

I make no excuses for Nicolas Cage.
Hackman and Brando were fantastic in Superman the Movie. Jor-El just had to be ponderous, noble and great-looking. (Brando brought all three, and how!)

Hackman was one of the best actors going at that time, and he interpreted the role so it worked well in that movie.

Casting two such well-regarded actors in those roles also helped raise people's expectations of what a superhero movie could and should be.
It's not a slam on these stars but while it is good to have an unknown starring as a super-hero (Christopher Reeve, Hugh Jackman, even Christian Bale to an extant), movies need name actors in key roles to get attention and to draw audiences. Their talent should be able to serve both the project and the character.
Well, if we're looking at Hypolyta, I suggest we look no further than Indira Varma, who was amazing as Niobe in Rome.

(I think she'd make a fine Wonder Woman, too, but I'm sure they'll look for someone younger for the role.)
ClarkKent_DC said:
I would argue that Nicholson was jarring in Batman because he wasn't being an actor; he was being a "star."

And I would agree. Regarding Michael Keaton, he was a fine (if somewhat unusual) choice for Bruce Wayne; it didn't matter who played Batman. and if it's "name actors in key roles to get attention and to draw audiences," that's Brando.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
ClarkKent_DC said:

And I would agree. Regarding Michael Keaton, he was a fine (if somewhat unusual) choice for Bruce Wayne; it didn't matter who played Batman. and if it's "name actors in key roles to get attention and to draw audiences," that's Brando.

That's right. Brando got a then-astronomical $5 million for two weeks' work, and was in the movie for all of -- what -- 10 minutes? But having him there helped get the movie made, while Gene Hackman and Christopher Reeve did the heavy lifting.

Rob Staeger said:
Well, if we're looking at Hypolyta, I suggest we look no further than Indira Varma, who was amazing as Niobe in Rome.

(I think she'd make a fine Wonder Woman, too, but I'm sure they'll look for someone younger for the role.)

She'll always be Suzie from Torchwood to me. Her main episode had the coolest title, "They Keep Killing Suzie". She's going to be a significant part of the Human Target team when it starts again next month.
I haven't seen a lot of Torchwood -- though her presence makes me want to change that. (I already plan to watch Human Target, which I haven't yet seen, because of her.) Is it possible I have a crush? Yes, that's entirely likely.

Rob Staeger said:
I haven't seen a lot of Torchwood -- though her presence makes me want to change that. (I already plan to watch Human Target, which I haven't yet seen, because of her.) Is it possible I have a crush? Yes, that's entirely likely.

And then she and Idina Menzel could co-star in a film and we could go and not tell our significant others...we'll just sit there and sigh at our celeb crushes...

Doc Beechler said:

Rob Staeger said:

And then she and Idina Menzel could co-star in a film and we could go and not tell our significant others...we'll just sit there and sigh at our celeb crushes...

What's amazing is that Kathy & I haven't yet sat down and stared at Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz in Blow. I mean, it's even available on instant view!

Well, there's been a big setback: According to Entertainment Weekly, the major broadcast networks passed on the project, and it's too expensive for cable.

See here: "Wonder Woman TV Show 'Not Moving Forward' "

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service