Kinda surprised there wasn't a thread for this--at least not one that I could find-.

So, just watched this, and surprisingly, I liked it.

Certainly it wasn't without fault, but as a reboot of the franchise, I didn't find the plot holes I've seen in many superhero films, nor the out of character decisions.  I thought it worked reasonably well.

* Kevin Bacon...man, that's good villainny.

* I liked the bull session among the newly recruited mutants, and I'm expecting Darwin to pop up again sometime fully whole.

* I was sad that Raven and Hank never really hooked up. 

* I liked recasting Angel as a woman--a dangerous woman.

* Really, the thing that worked best in the movie was that everyone's decisions made sense given the characterizations within the movie.  I bought Angel going to the dark side.  I bought Erik killing Shaw--I mean, c'mon, how couldn't you?  I bought Emma as someone who played the middle for her best outcome, I bought the humans, heck I even bought into Shaw's megalomania.

Okay, feeling stupid here, but who was the mutant creating tornadoes?

Views: 275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had to look that up, too. It's Riptide of the Marauders. 

The woman Angel in the movie is an established Marvel character, not a Hollywood re-casting. Angel Salvadore

It's disappointing that Oliver Platt's character wasn't given an actual name. It should have, of course, been Fred Duncan.

It was a fantastic film.

Having seen it yesterday, I agree entirely - just makes you wonder what X-Men: Last Stand would have been liek if Vaughn had not walked away.

The bit that got the biggest reaction in the cinema was the 30 second cameo - you know the one I mean.

The 30 second cameo Mike's talking about was great. I didn't even know it was going to be in the film. The audience loved it.

The film it was was great. I enjoyed all the performances. My only complaint was that it had a lot of set up of getting the characters where they needed to be. But that wasn't that bad.

I've got to run but I'll have a bit more later.

If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

Yeah, I found out it was Riptide shortly after I posted this.  I didn't make the association because I thought his powers worked differently.

I am working on a review of it, but I really, really liked this movie. 

I noticed that when Magneto presented Shaw, he was held him up in cruciform.  I thought it that was interesting presentation of this death. 

I noticed that too. That was very interesting.

I liked the movie, a lot. While this took place in the 60s it had the same emotional feel as the first two films.

One thing that this film and the other X-films do well is showcasing the mutants power. Each character gets a spolight and we see them display the powers in a different way. Each time it's pretty cool.

One other thing that I think these films do is they showcase strong female characters. Not many damsels in distress here.
Mike Parnell said:

I noticed that when Magneto presented Shaw, he was held him up in cruciform.  I thought it that was interesting presentation of this death. 

...Haah , I'm writing this before reading beyond th' first para , I , too , was gonna start one , I still will start a non-spoiler one , I saw it last nite & liked it loads...

...A review I read in advance made me anticipate the Wolvie cameo .

Though Stan Lee was still a credited producer , perhaps ( As I said elsewhere . ) it not being a Marvel Studios full-D production made him stay away - and I saw no creators' credit for Stan and Jack , though the New York Times' (!!) review gave them one in the info box of their review .

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

It does seem odd that , well , the hubbub over DC's revamping understandably commanded loads of attention here , but Thor pretty quickly got and still continues to get luv from the peeps here...First , is Marvel kind of downplaying attention to X-MEN: FIRST CLASS the movie because it wasn't made under Marvel Studios' aspices but ( I suppose ) under the same contract Fox signed to make the earlier X-flix ?

I remember that Marvel regained the Fantastic Four rights from Fox ( Was the 2nd movie a particular BO disappointment for their not to be the " usual " third ??? ) but I think?? , as a variant on DC's rushing another Superman movie into production to get one out before the iegel lawsuit really begins to take effect , Fox has to produce an X-filck every few-dot years to keep the rights and this was three years after the Wolverine one ? 

Also , was there some , perhaps , lack of prestiege from the film being based on , at least in the title , what I understand to be a " non-Marvel Universe/616 " title , sort of an Adventures title if not officially deemed that ???

I've never opened a copy , but isn't XMFC the comic-book an " other " version of the Xes where the most popular latter-day mutants , like Wolverine and either Jubilee or Rogue or both of them , are in the line-up ?????

I moved this post here because I saw no need for a second thread.

...Okay , I liked it a lot when I saw it Monday !

I felt it really recaptured the spirit , if not the specifics ( If of course some changes , and updates to a modern snsibility . ) of Satn & Jack's original issues , which I read many/most of from their Seventies reprints .

( Maybe the Roy/Werner period too ??????? )

I was surprised by how much it reminded me of a vintage James Bond movie, with the '60s setting and Cold War doomsday plot. Kevin Bacon was a pretty good Bond villain (albeit with super powers). Even the end credits were done in the Connery-era Bond style.

Also surprised by the body count , the sheer number of sadistically violent deaths. Not a movie for children.

Of course, some of the details were anachronistic for '62. The long hair, sideburns and miniskirts didn't become fashionable until a few years later. But I suppose these things say "60s" to people who may not know much about the decade -- in the same way that malt shops, jukeboxes and tail-finned cars are used to let audiences know a movie is set in the '50s.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Commander Benson replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"Oops! Philip beat me to it."
9 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion Your Favorite Things of the Year! (Est. 2017)
"Last volume! This is late, but I'll bet they delayed it to coincide with Charles Schulz'…"
10 minutes ago
Commander Benson replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"The Grand Comics Database entry on this issue indicates that the fellow between and behind Aquaman…"
11 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Today's offering is all about paying attention..."
16 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's Wedding
"That's Adam (Captain Comet) Blake who helped the Atom in his search for Jean in Super…"
18 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"GCD says Little Archie #95 was cover dated May 1975, The concept started out in the Archie Giant…"
18 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"According to GCD, Little Archie #95 was published in May 1975 - one month before I left school.…"
19 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
""Selby's character is named Quentin, although he doesn't seem to be the same guy as…"
25 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When was this published?  I know that back at St. Anne's, the nuns got away with stuff…"
27 minutes ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
29 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I know art can be subjective, but still... (Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.) I…"
35 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"I've finally read the Dark Shadows content in my issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland, and…"
42 minutes ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service