Replies

• Did NO ONE ELSE read this!?!?

• You should. Because it's awesome.

• I read the first two issues of the 1988 series and couldn't stand it.

Maybe you can talk me into trying the new series.

• You know what? I'm going to read it again, because I love it so much, but I need re-read to pick up on everything that made it awesome.

As for the earlier series (did you mean 1998?), I didn't like it as much as most people either for two reasons. The first: Peter David, while great on Hulk, did not deliver on YJ like he did in that title. I thought the characters seemed either smarmy or very unrealistic for teenagers. I remember a villain named Mighty N. Dowd, who was a woman with giant breasts. I remember Kid Lobo, who suddenly wanted to be called "Slobo" (what!?). Then, almost immediately, the girls automatically started calling him Slobo--no one ever accidentally got it wrong. They somehow got hold of the Forever People's hero-cycle (is that what it was called?), and everyone knew automatically how to use it. Every character acted the exact same; there was no difference in any of them--and included in that are characters like Impulse, Tim Drake Robin, Superboy, "Slobo", Wonder Girl, a smoke-based character named Secret, and a young Red Arrow Girl or something.

Secondly, the art by Tood Nauck showed only Crest-white smiles on all of the characters. Everyone looked the same as well.

As much as I really wanted to love this book (and kept buying it!), it was incredibly dull.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I read the first two issues of the 1988 series and couldn't stand it.

Maybe you can talk me into trying the new series.

• "As for the earlier series (did you mean 1998?)..."

Yeah. (Whoops.)

I don't think it was Peter david's best work, either (not by a long shot), and I never did like Nauck's style.

Did you mean "Todd"? :)

• Haha! Yes, I did!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Did you mean "Todd"? :)

• Yeah, the original Young Justice was a book I wanted to like more than I actually did, too. I like Peter David's sense of humor, but at times he's let it get in the way of genuine emotion and depth, and this seemed to me like one of those times.

I loved this first issue. I think I hadn't opened this thread before because I assumed it was about the Young Justice TV show, which I have only minimal interest in (and can't yet watch the most recent season, regardless).  

• Whoops! I edited it to more accurately reflect the contents of the thread. Thanks!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I loved this first issue. I think I hadn't opened this thread before because I assumed it was about the Young Justice TV show, which I have only minimal interest in (and can't yet watch the most recent season, regardless).  

• After a quick exposition about the various parts of Gemworld and how they have been affected by the Earth's Seven Crises (never stopped to count them, but it sounds about right), we are dropped in the middle of Metropolis, where Jinny Hex has arrived in town, looking for a change of scenery from small town Texas.

Right then and there, Gemworld breeches the DC Universe (whichever Earth the main DC Universe is), right in Metropolis, because they're looking for Superman. This brings the attention of Tim Drake Robin (I hate calling him that), who is also in Metropolis for some reason.

Also nearby is Wonder Girl, Cassie Sandsmark (who is back to being a fairly modest girl, and no longer the...less than modest girl we knew from Geoff Johns's Dirty Teen Titans). She gets involved in staving off the various Gemworld attackers. So does "Teen Lantern", who says she will get a new name.

Bart Allen starts freaking out with joy that Young Justice is back, running around and saving people, and everything is one big, fun frenzy up to the very end, where Superboy Connor Kent shows up, back in the black leather jacket and the fade haircut that he was born with back when Karl Kesel and Tom Grummett introduced him during Reign of the Supermen.

Sorry for the "spoiler", but he's right there on the cover.

This was just fun, and the characters come off as very likeable for quite possibly the first time in either a Young Justice or Dirty Teen Titans comic.

It made me happy.

• A couple things I loved about the comic: 

Bart's last line to Kon-El was perfect. 

Dark Opal. I'm SO happy Patrick Gleason hasn't really changed his design. He looks amazing, and he's ALWAYS looked amazing. Ernie Colon sure knew how to design. 

Bart rescuing pets. No ferrets, but still.

Jinny Hex being stopped for having a shotgun in her truck, and her thinking it's no big deal. (Because where she's from, it really isn't.) And Jinny immediately moving to save the cop that pulled her over.

That amazing Superboy variant cover, a great take on last year's biggest meme.

I used to love these characters -- well, Bart and Kon-El, at least, and I liked Cassie and Tim well enough. In the past couple years, I've learned to really love Tim thanks to James Tynion in Detective Comics. So I'm so happy to see them all together, and to be treated right for, in many cases, the first time in decades. I can't wait for whatever's next.

This reply was deleted.