MEMPHIS, TN – The longest-running syndicated newspaper column on comics is moving to a new home – and renovating an old one!
For nearly 22 years, journalist Andrew Smith has submitted his weekly “Captain Comics” column to Scripps Howard News Service, which syndicated it to newspapers across the country. But on Jan. 1, 2014, the column moved to McClatchy-Tribune News Services, part of the most respected newspaper chain in America.
To celebrate, the Captain is upgrading and rebooting his long-time Internet home, the Comics Round Table (comicsroundtable.com). The Captain, his crack team of Moderators and the regular posters known as the Legion of Superfluous Heroes are proud to present:
- COMICS FORUM: The Legionnaires – who hail from Alabama to Australia – have sharp opinions, but not elbows, while debating in what we strive to make the most civil and accurate conversation about comics on the Internet. Rule No. One: No personal attacks!
- CAPTAIN COMICS: The Captain, a former Comics Buyer’s Guide contributing editor and 45-year comics collector, posts a new McClatchey column every Thursday!
- MR. SILVER AGE: Craig Shutt – former Comics Buyer’s Guide columnist, author (Baby Boomer Comics) and inventor of The Mopee Award – shares his snarky wit and sagacious wisdom!
- MORE COLUMNISTS: Look for Commander Adam Benson's comments on the Silver Age, Chris Fluit's comments on the Bronze Age to present, Feargal Gallagher's insights on comics' cleverest scribes and The Baron's timelines combining every fictional world extant!
- RECOMMENDATIONS: Captain Comics posts the Greatest Comics Guide on the Internet every Monday!
- REVIEWS: The Captain and the Legion bring their unparalleled expertise to bear on comics old and new, single issues and collections.
- NEWS: We weed through the press releases so you don’t have to! The Round Table posts the most interesting news and info from publishers in The Weekend Data Dump every Saturday!
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Come join our spankin’ new Facebook page, Captain Comics Round Table Community. And follow @comixroundtable.com for regular tweets!
So drop by the Round Table to admire the new furniture and share in the celebration. Register for the site – it’s painless, free and private – and join the conversation. That’s all it takes to become a member in good standing in the mighty Legion of Superfluous Heroes, the most comics-savvy guys and gals on the Internet! It’s all right here: