Replies

• I found a lot of them to be pretty bland and boring Plus, the list seemed to be limited in the series' it chose from.
  • Well...the author did state her biases up front...
  • A lot of Fables covers most of which I think aren't the best of what Fables has to offer. With the exception of Fables # 71, glad that one made it high on the list. It's awesome. Also happy to see Action Comics #2. Ever since I first saw a picture of it years ago, it has been a favorite of mine.
  • The amount of really bad covers on that list is staggering.
  • Doc Beechler said:
    Well...the author did state her biases up front...

Yes, I did. Thanks for pointing that out - a lot of people seem to be missing that in the grand scheme of things. :) I would seriously challenge anyone, especially a single blogger (not a committee) to do this for two reasons:

1- because it was SO hard. It took forever and I really agonized over decisions - and then once I hit publish I almost instantly wished I could go back and make changes. I agree with a lot of complaints others have had "too many x-men...or Catwoman...", "too many insert artists name here", etc. And I found some afterward that I'd forgotten about and wished I'd included and others that in retrospect, just deserved a spot for iconic factor even if they're not my favorite covers (Death of Robin anyone?).

But the real reason I'd like more people to do this (other than appreciating how difficult it is) is just because I'd love to see what others come up with.

Best of Lists are always so personal and subjective, but I think interesting because of that subjective aspect.

Anyway, thanks for linking. I hope you guys can at least enjoy, even if they're not the covers you'd pick. :)
  • Well, I like lists, but I always feel vaguely guilty when I draw one up because I haven't seen every comics cover ever or seen every sci-fi movie ever or what have you. I always end up thinking, "What if there are better ones that I just don't know about?"

On the other hand, you've reminded me of another favorite list from the old board that I want to re-post here. Look for it in the "Movies & TV" section soon...
  • I'm not a fan of lists, generally. But I was impressed with the thoughtfulness of the annotations. That's a lot of work, on top of selecting the 100 titles in the first place.
  • Mark Sullivan said:
    I'm not a fan of lists, generally. But I was impressed with the thoughtfulness of the annotations. That's a lot of work, on top of selecting the 100 titles in the first place.

• The Baron said:
    Well, I like lists, but I always feel vaguely guilty when I draw one up because I haven't seen every comics cover ever or seen every sci-fi movie ever or what have you. I always end up thinking, "What if there are better ones that I just don't know about?"

I don't feel guilty about it when I do one, because like Kelly said, it is subjective. I always enjoy reading everyone else's list to compare tastes.
  • I was glad to see Uncanny X-Men 141 on there. My personal list would also include Secret Wars 1 and Amazing Spider-Man 39.

The trouble I have with selecting "best covers" is that I am rarely able to completely divorce my consideration of the cover from my opinion of the story. I'm very fond of the cover to Amazing Spider-Man 32, but that's probably more to do with the story.

And I don't know how any list of great covers can be complete without a single hologram, die-cut, prism, glow in the dark, or scratch-n-sniff. (Ok, maybe not. Though I still pick up the Superman/Lobo "Make your own cover" issue any time I see it for under a dollar.)
This reply was deleted.