In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! It's a bold new year! What in 2017 has knocked you out?

Views: 1751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ships tomorrow:

A premiere collection of the best stories of EC Comics, curated in a deluxe hardcover, just in time to celebrate the legendary publisher's 75th anniversary! Collects material from Crime SuspenStories issues 1, 17, 18; Frontline Combat issues 1, 3, 4, 8; Haunt of Fear issues 4, 10, 11, 15, 17, 19, 22; Impact issue 1, Shock SuspenStories issues 1, 4, 6, 7, 9; Tales from the Crypt issues 22, 25, 32-36, 38, 45, 46; Two-Fisted Tales 19, 23, 25; Vault of Horror issues 13, 14, 19, 20, 28, 31-33, 35; Weird Fantasy issues 9, 15, 17 (1951), 17 (1952), 18, 21; Weird Science issues 6, 9, 18, 20; and Weird Science-Fantasy issues 23-25.
* Featuring legendary creators Al Feldstein, Harvey Kurtzman, Johnny Craig, Jack Davis, Wally Wood, and more!
* Reprinted in full color!

I was a huge fan of the Silver Age Doom Patrol and only recently read the Bronze Age (Paul Kupperberg) Doom Patrol run after our late friend Robin Olsen recommended it. Similar to the comments on the Justice League Detroit thread, all or most of the new characters were massacred so that Grant Morrison could take it over with issue #19 and give it his personal spin.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE BRONZE AGE DOOM PATROL OMNIBUS:

Following the end of their original series in 1968, the World's Strangest Heroes made their return in 1977 in a series of tales that jumped across titles and featured appearances by Supergirl, Superman, the Suicide Squad and more! Collects SHOWCASE #94-96, DC COMICS PRESENTS #52, DARING NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL #7-9, DOOM PATROL #1-18, DOOM PATROL AND SUICIDE SQUAD SPECIAL #1, SUPERMAN #20, DOOM PATROL ANNUAL #1 and stories from SECRET ORIGINS ANNUAL #1 and SUPERMAN FAMILY #191-193, NEW TEEN TITANS #13-15, and TEEN TITGHTENS SPOTLIGHT #9 almost none of which have been collected before! SUPERMAN SILVER AGE SUNDAYS v2 – 1963-1966:

Just received shipping notice - my copy is on the way!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Ships tomorrow:

A premiere collection of the best stories of EC Comics, curated in a deluxe hardcover, just in time to celebrate the legendary publisher's 75th anniversary! Collects material from Crime SuspenStories issues 1, 17, 18; Frontline Combat issues 1, 3, 4, 8; Haunt of Fear issues 4, 10, 11, 15, 17, 19, 22; Impact issue 1, Shock SuspenStories issues 1, 4, 6, 7, 9; Tales from the Crypt issues 22, 25, 32-36, 38, 45, 46; Two-Fisted Tales 19, 23, 25; Vault of Horror issues 13, 14, 19, 20, 28, 31-33, 35; Weird Fantasy issues 9, 15, 17 (1951), 17 (1952), 18, 21; Weird Science issues 6, 9, 18, 20; and Weird Science-Fantasy issues 23-25.
* Featuring legendary creators Al Feldstein, Harvey Kurtzman, Johnny Craig, Jack Davis, Wally Wood, and more!
* Reprinted in full color!

Of the stories in that Doom Patrol collection

-Showcase #94-#96: the 1977 introduction of the new Doom Patrol. The stories were by Paul Kupperberg and Joe Staton. I've never read these.

-Superman Family #191-#193: the Supergirl/new Doom Patrol team-up from those issues, intended for the defunct Super-Team Family. By Gerry Conway, Arvell Jones and Scott Edelman (as he scripted the final part). This was 1970s mediocre awful.

-New Teen Titans #13-#15: The quest for the killers of the Doom Patrol, featuring Robotman. The storyline started as a subplot in #10, where Robotman was shown as having been given back his former robot form. (He asked Changeling to thank Dayton's lab boys, and said if he had to be stuck in a robot form he preferred it to be that one.) The introduction of the New Brotherhood of Evil and the nation of Zambia. Surprisingly affecting at its conclusion. Marv Wolfman and George Perez.

-DC Comics Presents #52: Very jokey story that introduced Ambush Bug (as a villain) and also makes fun of Jimmy Olsen. Negative Woman, who had not worn bandages previously, wound up in them here. By Kupperberg and Keith Giffen. Amusing, but not as funny as the Levitz/Giffen Legion of Substitute Heroes story in #59.

-Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #7-#9: Supergirl/new Doom Patrol team-up by Kupperberg and Carmine Infantino. I haven't read this.

-Kupperberg also wrote the opening issues of the following Doom Patrol ongoing, drawn by Steve Lightle, but I haven't read those either.

Have I mentioned the current Hawkman series?

Interesting, well paced, respectful to continuity but with twists and wonderful art.! Contender to series-of-the-year in my book!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service