I can't believe we've gone this long without starting a beer thread. I enjoyed the one on the old board and actually tried some of the beverages that were liked by others.

I've discovered that I really like Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I've never enjoyed the Boston Lager but this Oktoberfest is good stuff. I also finally tried Yeungling Black & Tan. Also very good.

Views: 5076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1909 HERITAGE LAGER: Every once in a while, one of the big brewers will release a beer I happen to like, but they're never around for long. Several years ago, Anheuser-Busch brewed Budweiser American Ale using an old recipe, and after that Adolph Coors released its "Pre-Prohibition" style. Now the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, TX* has released 1909, in honor of the year it opened. It's 4.5% ABV, so it's not as flavorful as the American Ale or the Pre-Prohibition style, but it's okay if you're in the mood for something light. 

*(Honestly, I'm underwhelmed by all of the Shiner beers, but the Ruby Red (grapefruit) is good paired with scrambled eggs for breakfast.)

Jeff, I like most of Shiner's offerings. I will keep an eye out for this new one.

So, Travis, have you tried Shiner's 1909 yet? 

I decided the most similar brew to Buweiser's American Ale and Coors' Pre-Prohibition Style that is available is Foster's Premium (in the green "oil can"), which is what I am imbibing now. 

Not yet, Jeff, but I also haven't bought any beer/liquor in a while.

I know I bought the Coors you mentioned when it came out, and I thought it was okay. I've definitely had the Foster's too, I'll buy that from a gas station from time to time.

I am presently drinking Gandy [sic] Dancer, a double IPA from the interestingly named Nowhere In Particular brewery in Gahanna, Ohio (suburban Columbus).  If their beers are distributed in your area, you owe it to yourself to try them.  I've had three of them and all of them have been solid at worst and outstanding at best.  

I have reassessed my opinion of Shiner's 1909 Heritage Lager. Whereas it is lighter than Yeungling, it is just as flavorful. I've been switching back and forth between the two for the past two months, but lately I've been favoring 1909. Tried it yet? 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I have reassessed my opinion of Shiner's 1909 Heritage Lager. Whereas it is lighter than Yeungling, it is just as flavorful. I've been switching back and forth between the two for the past two months, but lately I've been favoring 1909. Tried it yet? 

I did finally try it, and I thought it was okay. My experience was probably marred since my bag broke and 4 bottles broke, so I only got to try 2 . Overall, there are other Shiners I like better.

Currently, I've been drinking the Alstadt Kolsch, Total Wine sells 15 packs.

I also tried Einstok Toasted Porter, which I didn't care for at all.

Also, Karbach's Yule Shoot Your Eye Out, their seasona; red ale, which I thought was pretty good.

CANNONEER: This is one of several brewed by the Pegasus City Brewery in Dallas. (Travis, I think you sampled one or two of their brews before but I never tried one until today. They all come in fancy-schmancy black labels.) Connoneer is described as "a delicious, high gravity, deep red ale... its complex malt bill is balanced with just enough hops to create a full-bodied, bold brew." It is 7.4% ABV, but I found it to be too sweet.

It is named after Angelina Eberly (see picture below) of the Texas Archive War.

I just told Tracy about the Texas Archive War (while I was getting another beer) and she said that that's the most "Texas" story she has every heard.

Yeah, Jeff, I like Pegasus City's Sixth Floor Porter. I've never had the Cannoneer, but it sounds like something I would like.

I've never heard of the Texas Archive War and it sounds pretty awesome to me. hahaha

I recently bought a 6 pack Abita's seasonal beer Office Party. Now this is pretty sweet, and while I like it, I want something else after one. The cocoa nibs do help tamp down some of the sweetness with a bitter aftertaste.

Is the craft beer bubble bursting in Texas?
I do know that Legal Draft is shuttering their doors. I actually liked their brews, and you can still find them at stores. Plus, Armadillo Ale works is closing as well.

I haven't had anything but 1909 or Yeungling* since I last posted that. I could never find 1909 in anything other than 12 packs. (I have the will power not to buy beer, but if it's in the house, I don't have the will power not to drink it.) I haven't seen 1909 my last two or three trips to the store, so I'm guessing the window on that one is closed. Beers like that never last. 

*Introduced to me by Rich Lane. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I knew one named Crystal Cleer."
13 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"People make a lot of John Constantine's resemblance to Sting, but nobody notes that in his…"
17 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Bork from The Power Company had a Neal Adams pedigree! "
52 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Terry Moore - The SiP-verse
""When Annie Graham's lifeless body washes up Venice beach, the nation mourns the loss of…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"Yes, and although it is occurring in tandem with the Crisis on Infinite Earths, it is not the…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: May 23-29, 2022
"PS Artbooks Roundup: This week, the Space War volume one HC shipped to my LCS. Also v2 Dick Briefer…"
3 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"With the introduction of Constantine, Moore begins to weave his major epic story that will reach…"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUES #38-39: I have lived in Texas for 20 years now. I cannot always remember precisely when I…"
6 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Have we visited the Planet of Vampires yet this month? Pat Broderick inked by Neal Adams and Neal…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
8 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"..."
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service