Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 86657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, to February then. On November 29th, someone said

Do we go for the obvious and do explicitly Valentines/Cupid based covers?

Now that Feb is just two days away, can we agree exactly what this means?  Does it mean we can post any romance covers, as long as there's a love element in the air - or does it mean we can only post covers where there is a specific valentine/cupid character in evidence?  I'd rather go with the former, but I'm just one member of the team.  Thoughts, everyone?

Does it mean we can post any romance covers, as long as there's a love element in the air

I'd prefer the lines to be drawn a bit more narrowly than that, or otherwise wouldn't every romance comic cover be eligible?  Perhaps say that there should at least be a hint of Cupid or Valentine's Day to be seen.  For example, covers might feature characters with gifts of boxes of chocolates or bunches of flowers, even if they're not explicitly Valentine's Day gifts.  Or we might see characters with clouds of red hearts (not on playing cards!) floating around them to demonstrate love, even if Cupid himself isn't visibly present.

However, don't take my opinion as gospel.  Subjects that I've previously suggested have turned out to be harder than I'd expected, leading to us running low toward the end of the month.  As we've seen in January, the addition of other table-top games to my original suggestion of playing cards has undeniably added to the interest and variety of the covers we've seen.  On which subject, my count to date for January is: Playing Cards 138, Everything Else 117.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

I would concur. Cupids, Valentine hearts (not just card hearts-- we did that this month) seem to be essential. Even the word, "Valentine" would do it for me. That's my...

...in any case.

I like Peter's suggestions.

Peter Wrexham said:

I'd prefer the lines to be drawn a bit more narrowly than that, or otherwise wouldn't every romance comic cover be eligible?  Perhaps say that there should at least be a hint of Cupid or Valentine's Day to be seen.  For example, covers might feature characters with gifts of boxes of chocolates or bunches of flowers, even if they're not explicitly Valentine's Day gifts.  Or we might see characters with clouds of red hearts (not on playing cards!) floating around them to demonstrate love, even if Cupid himself isn't visibly present.

I have one more cover, for Friday, if no one posts it first. Meanwhile, here's a bit of a cheat: comic-book cards:

Given the Tintin cards above, my last post of the month will be a set of "diamondback" cards from Cerebus. Dave sim invented a card game for his self-published work, along with detailed rules of how to play. (The size of the deck increases with the number of players.) Years ago, I found a comic book store in St. Louis which had multiple decks on clearance. I bought one, but I wish I had bought several.

The Hulk battles robot chessmen, drawn by Steve Ditko!

Peter Wrexham said:

You know who is often depicted with playing cards?  Alice (in Wonderland).

You may also get playing cards in Wonderland, but without Alice.

Oh. no.  I'll see if I can correct that --maybe later; looks like even this approach isn't working for me.  Would one of the moderator please remove my posts --no sense taking up space.  Thanks.

Let's try this.  If it works maybe I'll be able to come back and repost the rest.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service