Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 102544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess that, before you can truly believe that you're exiled from your home planet forever, it's important to get an accurate reading of its precise size.  It would obviously make a significant difference if the Earth had shrunk to two inches or two miles, rather than two feet.

Also, good to see that we're in a future that still hasn't adopted the metric system!

And the people on the east coast of Brazil must be scared out of their minds!

Peter Wrexham said:

I guess that, before you can truly believe that you're exiled from your home planet forever, it's important to get an accurate reading of its precise size.  It would obviously make a significant difference if the Earth had shrunk to two inches or two miles, rather than two feet.

Also, good to see that we're in a future that still hasn't adopted the metric system!

Philip Portelli said:

And the people on the east coast of Brazil must be scared out of their minds!

Assuming anyone survived shrinking to microbe size, the apparent loss of all weather, and the yoinking of the earth out of orbit and onto a passing spaceship. Also, is he resting his arm on Alaska?

Below: did that pig take lessons from the Big Bad Wolf?

This bad guy could see the future in tiny glimpses when The Atom used his powers. His solution? Flatten him out to make him easier to carry around with him!

Chronos was The Atom's only costumed foe, so he had to wear enough costume for three or four bad guys.

For their 375 anniversary (who knew the FF has been around for centuries?), Sue has decided to test the theory of Bulletproof Nudity for female costumed adventurers, or else she's using her powers to make her outfit disappear. The only team member with natural armor has decided, just to be extra-safe, to wear a helmet that should completely obscure his ability to use that weapon effectively.

WTFF?

“Hey, kids, more fun you and your friends can have a home with your mother’s iron.”

I watched an old movie yesterday that had a character called Knobby. Now I get that it was a nicknamed for a bald guy.

Dave Palmer said:

“Hey, kids, more fun you and your friends can have a home with your mother’s iron.”

I see that Johnny is wearing a jacket, which for some reason was a superhero fashion item back then. How come his jacket is visible when we could never see any other clothing when he flamed on?

JD DeLuzio said:

For their 375 anniversary (who knew the FF has been around for centuries?), Sue has decided to test the theory of Bulletproof Nudity for female costumed adventurers, or else she's using her powers to make her outfit disappear. The only team member with natural armor has decided, just to be extra-safe, to wear a helmet that should completely obscure his ability to use that weapon effectively.

WTFF?

"I'm going to stand on top of a building site, wearing my world-famous costume, and throw you to your death in front of multiple witnesses.  Truly the perfect crime!"

Also, who dared DC to print this?

Jimmy Olsen #92(APR66) went on sale in late-February, following January debut of the Batman TV show. It was the first non-Batman title on sale cover-featuring Batman after the show debuted. Something tells me that it had high sales. From March through May there were no cover appearances of Batman in non-Batman titles. In June they began prominently featuring Batman on Justice League of America covers. June was also the first Batman team-up in The Brave and the Bold (ten out of twelve the first year, followed by a complete take-over). In September an 80 Page Giant JLA featured three reprinted Justice League tales. The cover featured an enormous Batman, even though all three stories were from the period when Batman and Superman weren't active in the stories. October 1966 brought us an 80 Page Giant Batman in addition to the regular Batman title. November brought us a prominent cover appearance on the Blackhawk cover and the introduction of Batgirl in Detective Comics. I'm actually surprised that DC was almost restrained compared to the impression I had at the time.

Richard Willis said:

Chronos was The Atom's only costumed foe, so he had to wear enough costume for three or four bad guys.

The Atom didn't have very many costumed foes - certainly nowhere near as many as The Flash or Batman, for example - but Chronos wasn't the only one.

I'm afraid I've never heard of Bee-29 the Bombardier, and I don't know if he's flying with or beating up that airborne alligator, but he's certainly part of an established tradition:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service