Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 105479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even the Cap got in on the act...

A two-fer:

My understanding was that we would avoid covers with the Moon to avoid duplicating the Moon covers posted previously. We would also avoid Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula covers so as not to fill the entire month with them. I think the mention of "protagonist" only related to  these two titles. Can I get a clarification?

In order to get some more variety of covers, I thought that it would be a good idea to avoid books like Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf By Night, Creatures on the Loose (Man-Wolf), Fear (Morbius), House of Mystery (I...Vampire) and Weird War Stories (Creature Commandos). Unless, of course, there is another werewolf or vampire prominent on the cover who is NOT the star of the book!

But whatever you guys think is best!

Richard Willis said:

My understanding was that we would avoid covers with the Moon to avoid duplicating the Moon covers posted previously. We would also avoid Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula covers so as not to fill the entire month with them. I think the mention of "protagonist" only related to  these two titles. Can I get a clarification?

I have Atlas' Planet of Vampires #1-3 and it's one of the most depressing books I ever read! And, of course, being an Atlas series, it has no conclusion!

Richard Willis said:

I believe that the idea was to avoid comics whose protagonist is (always) a vampire or werewolf.  Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula were examples, not an exhaustive list.  Otherwise, every issue of such a title is eligible.  A comic whose protagonist is (temporarily) turned into a vampire or werewolf, such as Steve's "Capwolf" cover is fair game.  The same applies to the vampire/werewolf protagonist of a series getting a guest spot in a different comic.

I commented that I would, personally, also try to avoid covers showing the Moon, as a rule-of-thumb way not to repost covers already seen in June.  I've since realised that this may be difficult, as the Moon is a very common feature of vampire and werewolf covers (I wonder why?), so I may slip up from time to time.

Anyway, we shouldn't obsess too much about these "rules", or it will detract from the fun of the game.  If anyone has a cover that they like which breaks the guidelines, I say go ahead and post it anyway.  And with that in mind, here's a werewolf under a full moon.  I'm particularly fond of this cover because of the distinctly off-brand depiction of the werewolf.  To my eyes, this looks more like Shrek that a Loup Garou!

Ho Ho Ho, Green Werewolf!

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Ho Ho Ho, Green Werewolf!

Purple wolves, all around....

(I'm going with the "guest werewolf makes a werewolf protagonist comic okay" rule here):

I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's

And his hair was perfect purple...

Peter Wrexham said:

Anyway, we shouldn't obsess too much about these "rules", or it will detract from the fun of the game.  If anyone has a cover that they like which breaks the guidelines, I say go ahead and post it anyway. 

What he said. This is supposed to be fun, not homework. 

Who is the mystery menace?

Asked and answered.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service