Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 121092

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adventure Comics #6(#509)...

...and its variant:

Bandit

For some reason, I didn't notice Bandit!

Dave Palmer said:

Bandit

The Giant Dalmatians of the Atomic Knights through the years!

I was never entirely convinced that G'nort was an actual dog, rather than some kind of particularly hairy alien.  This Justice League America cover, however, disagrees with me.

So, if G'nort is a dog, this Green Lantern cover, set on his homeworld, is more than a little worrying.

G'nort himself clearly isn't too happy!

My comments on two of the Atomic Knights cover blurbs:

"The great atomic war of 1986"

I missed it! Must have overslept

"The secret weapon we are using to conquer the Earth"

At that point, would they really need a secret weapon?

JD DeLuzio said:

For those who aren't certain the Boys qualify as real dawgs.....

Sure they are! In their first appearance in the Four Color #386 (MAR52) story "Only a Poor Old Man" (panel below) they are shown with folded/floppy ears, to go with their dog noses, sorta like actual beagles. Many of the Duckburg residents were drawn like this early-on. For some reaason, their ears were drawn more human in later appearances. I had to photograph the panel from the 2012 Carl Barks Library volume, titled Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge- Only a Poor Old Man, to get an image with the original ears.

A Neal Adams "Action Lab" (Labrador) cover

Getting back to the matter of future themes...

Peter Wrexham said on Saturday April 03:

We've had a load of suggestions for future themes.

Doctor Hmmm?
* Weddings and/or brides (for June)

David Warren
* The Sun (since we've already done The Moon)

Philip Portelli
* Friends Turned into Foes
* Dinosaurs
* Time Travel
* "Question Mark" covers

Jeff of Earth-J
* The color purple
* Heroes (or heroes and villains) lined up against each other
* A big burning question on the cover

Lee Houston, Junior
* Summer fun
* Justice Society of America 80th Anniversary

Responses in so far to these suggestions:
* Lee Houston, Junior: Time travel
* Richard Willis: Dinosaurs
* Steve W: Time travel or dinosaurs for June, also JSA 80th anniversary later
* Me: Questions Marks (Philip) and/or Big Burning Question (Jeff)

Any more votes?

I've had a stab at noting how many people have made positive comments about each of these themes, including those in my original post.  I've ignored any additional suggestions for now.  There were no comments on:

• The Sun
  • Friends Turned into Foes
  • The color purple

The following ideas seem to have at least some support.

• "Question Mark"/"Big burning question" covers
    4 positive comments (Me, JD, Jeff, Lee)
  • Dinosaurs
    3 (Richard, Steve, JD)
  • Time Travel
    3 (Lee, Steve, JD)
  • Heroes and/or villains lined up against each other
    3 (Dave, Jeff, Steve)
  • Summer fun
    2 (JD, Steve)
  • Weddings and/or brides (for June)
    1 (JD)
  • JSA 80th Anniversary
    1 (Steve)

Have I misrepresented or missed anyone's opinion?  Does anyone want to add any further comments?  I'd be happy to go with any of the themes on 4 or 3, less interested in the others.  I'm also starting to get a little twitchy about not knowing what's coming after we've finished with May's "Big Guns" theme!

It may be too soon to have them in contention, but I did make a couple of further suggestions (covers acknowledging anniversaries and cover cameos) on the previous page of this thread.

Nice to see you keeping on top of thing Peter.

The rest of my Otto finds while searching Beetle Bailey covers...

Yet despite his poor relationship with Otto and Sarge, Beetle is obviously an animal lover...

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database)

"Lad, a dog" spelled sideways...

(I guess :A dog, Lad" would work, too...)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service