Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 127287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Dinosaurs! Hath Time gone mad? I say thee NAY!"

It's 19th June and I still haven't yet exhausted my Supes time-travel collection...

This was three issues after the debut of the Legion of Superheroes in Adventure Comics #247, yet DCfandom.com tells me that the warning from the future came from Scotland Yard (!), not the Legion. I guess Superboy may have had a thought balloon about the Legion somewhere in the story, but I haven't read it. Maybe the editors thought that the kids that read #247 quit reading comics before #250.

Steve W said:

It's 19th June and I still haven't yet exhausted my Supes time-travel collection...

I say thee "repost."

(But we're doing pretty well this month. How are the stats going? Obviously, this theme lends heavy towards action/adventure and superhero, but we've managed some Archie and funny animal type of comics)

Philip Portelli said:

"Dinosaurs! Hath Time gone mad? I say thee NAY!"

Very interesting point that. 3 issues after Supes meets the Legion, he encounters someone from 1,000 years in the future who has designs to kill him, but none of this has any connection to the LSH. Wow! I can only assume that Mort figured that the future, and time travel in particular, helped to shift more copies.

Here's his cousin.

I have read the story (when it was reprinted in 80 Page Giant #10, featuring Superboy), and as far as I can remember, the Legion didn't get mentioned at all. This may be because the story was written by Bill Finger, while the Legion's first appearance was by Otto Binder.

I will note that Lorac is only seen from behind on this cover, and that this is significant!

Richard Willis said:

This was three issues after the debut of the Legion of Superheroes in Adventure Comics #247, yet DCfandom.com tells me that the warning from the future came from Scotland Yard (!), not the Legion. I guess Superboy may have had a thought balloon about the Legion somewhere in the story, but I haven't read it. Maybe the editors thought that the kids that read #247 quit reading comics before #250.

Steve W said:

Who knew that dinosaurs came in so many bright colours?

If it looks like a dinosaur and quacks like a dinosaur:

In the spirit of

JD DeLuzio said:

If it looks like a dinosaur and quacks like a dinosaur:

In a wonderfully weird coincidence, both House of Mystery #41 AND House of Secrets #41 have dinosaurs on their covers!

Consulting the Grand Comics Database, I see that the Ray Bradbury story adapted in Weird Fantasy #19 is "King of the Grey Spaces", also published under the title "R is for Rocket".  I believe that this story concerns kids watching a spaceship take off, and dreaming of becoming astronauts.  There are no dinosaurs, nor any other form of reptilian monstrosities, so it's not the story illustrated by this cover.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service