Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 131891

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still working through Lois Lane covers...

And this must be the flimsiest time machine ever constructed...

Hey, Steve - I notice that you've been neglecting romance covers this month, while concentrating on such worthy alternatives as Lois Lane and her adventures in time.  I realise that the overlap between romance and dinosaurs isn't large, but it would be a pity to miss them out entirely.

So, with no small degree of fanfare, let me present:

That Timeless Tale...

Elf meets Giant Omnivorous Reptile...

Elfin Romance

You know, this is so unutterably bonkers, I think it may be my favourite cover of all that I've ever posted to this discussion!

Two from the original Captain Marvel

A couple of Flintstones-- including a promo comic where they travel in time to the 1964 World's Fair which, of course, had an exhibit of dinosaurs, sponsored by Sinclair Oil:

More dinosaur eggs

The Justice League has heroes from the past meet them, they themselves go into the past to meet other heroes and go to the future to do the same!

Plus how weird is it that the JLA met Jonah Hex twice in the Bronze Age!

This seems to be a popular travel spot that covers both parts of this month's theme.

Look at all the "tourists" it attracts!

Even him!

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

What's even cooler than dinosaurs?  That's right - robot dinosaurs!

Another egg cover:

While I read comics, I generally stayed away from Harvey, reading only enough to know they had a bunch of kids with creepy Halloween identities (Casper, Hot Stuff, Wendy) and another bunch of kids with creepy obsessions (wealth, dots, food). The in-house ads from the ones I’d read meant that I knew Baby Huey was out there, but I knew nothing else about him.

Then Jeff of Earth-J told us about his jerk room-mate who mocked him for reading comics and therefore, obviously, liking Baby Huey, a character JoE-J had never even heard of. I started slipping in Baby Huey posts at this thread whenever possible, which, of course, introduced me to this character.

Then I read a few scanned online comics.

They’re not just generally bad. They’re disturbing. Baby Huey himself exists as some kind of kid-comic eldtritch abomination, the sort of thing Lovecraft might have imagined if he’d huffed bath salts and then watched a marathon of Donald Duck cartoons. He’s supposed to be a “baby,” and  he wears a giant diaper—just contemplating that thing is nightmare fuel—and a bonnet, and he’s often given a bottle or baby food. At other times, he eats solid food and candy, while his vocabulary suggests he’s an older toddler. His parents nevertheless let him wander about on his own, though one suspects they may be hoping he doesn’t return. His combination of infantile idiocy and superhuman strength causes mayhem and spread destruction. Given how terrible most of the inhabitants of his world behave, however, I’m not certain they don't deserve it.

In the 1990s he received an Easter-themed live-action movie featuring co-star Maureen  McCormick. Dear gods, why? If this thing was going to exist, couldn't they have at least hired Tommy Wiseau or Uwe Boll to direct? Why the half-measures?

Anyway, here’s another Baby Huey cover. Collect them all and be driven into the realms of unnameable madness from which no traveler returneth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service