Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 131889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two more from DC, years apart

A more recent Marvel dinosaur cover--

--and an Image that's trying hard to promise you'll get something impressive:

I just got back from a trip to 1980 in a Time Bubble where I inserted myself into Weird War #94.

Richard Willis said

Nearly exhausted my DC silver-age collection of time-travel covers. Just a few to go....

And incidentally on the subject of this cover - if the black knight is posing such a threat with his red K mace (and conundrum) why not just return to your own time, and stop worrying about it?

I'm just disappointed that the Creepy cover doesn't have a strap line of "Old Terror in the Eerie Tradition!"
:-(

Dave Palmer said:

Here's another almost-crossover to last month, this time showing a character wielding an implausibly large tool.

And a distinctly odd silver-age DC time-travel cover.

That explains why my copy suddenly has a story about a group storming the U.S. Capitol on behalf of a crooked NYC real estate developer.

Dave Palmer said:

I just got back from a trip to 1980 in a Time Bubble where I inserted myself into Weird War #94.

Considering DC's efforts in the Silver Age were sometimes a mixed bag at best, I'm surprised they kept trying this concept between The Brave and The Bold as well as the original Showcase, which also turned out to be his only major appearances.

Were all the stories ever collected in a trade someplace?

(The only dinosaur cover images from both titles courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

Despite there being several Silver Age "Time Pool" stories in The Atom, they only made the cover once!

Philip Portelli said:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World!

I wonder if anyone ever wrote a crossover with Sherlock Holmes?

Some spoilers ahead, so here is a Sherlock Holmes time travel cover to create some “distance.”

I suspect that in the alternate dimension my little time jaunt created that there is now a letter in #99 or so reminding the editor that good speculative fiction needs to be somewhat grounded in reality and then taking him to task for publishing a story that was just too fantastic to ever be plausible.

JD DeLuzio said:

That explains why my copy suddenly has a story about a group storming the U.S. Capitol on behalf of a crooked NYC real estate developer.

Dave Palmer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service