Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 132281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

This cover from France appears to depict U.S. soldiers in WWII. What caught my eye was the panel at the bottom, which looks like Sgt Rock. I'm curious about this if anyone has more info on this particular issue.

Peter Wrexham said:

From Arédit-Artima in France, a series running from 1970 to 1973, followed by another series with the same name but fresh numbering that ran from 1973 to 1987.

I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but the insert does look like the work of Joe Kubert.  That's inspired me to do a bit of research, though without much success.

The title "La Trêve" means "The Truce", and I can't identify any Sgt Rock story of which that might be a translation.  Unfortunately the GCD only has the cover scans for that series, the contents aren't detailed.  I've also found a French site that indexes the series, but again there's no information about the stories included (at least, not that I can identify using my limited French!).

The French site has a single interior image from the series.  It certainly isn't a Sgt Rock story, but it's from a different issue of Wham! than the one we're discussing.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

A true classic.

Here's an earlier "Question" than I think we've had so far this month:

That was the very first appearance of The Question. Unfortunately, Jeff posted this one on July 5 (page 1120)

JD DeLuzio said:

Arrgh! Sorry.  Okay, here's a replacement. I'm certain we haven't seen him this month:

Richard Willis said:

That was the very first appearance of The Question. Unfortunately, Jeff posted this one on July 5 (page 1120)

JD DeLuzio said:

Identifying the source of the "Sgt. Rock" panel will be difficult.  The covers to Our Army at War up through 1970 didn't have sound effects ("ratat ...") so we have to assume it is an interior panel.  It's also possible it is a "generic" sgt., but it certainly does look like Rock.  

On the other hand, I'd guess that the photo is a scene from Pork Chop Hill (1959).  I can identify from the Wham! cover Gregory Peck (left) and Norman Fell (right).  Any other thoughts?

Peter Wrexham said:

Richard Willis said:

This cover from France appears to depict U.S. soldiers in WWII. What caught my eye was the panel at the bottom, which looks like Sgt Rock. I'm curious about this if anyone has more info on this particular issue.

Peter Wrexham said:

From Arédit-Artima in France, a series running from 1970 to 1973, followed by another series with the same name but fresh numbering that ran from 1973 to 1987.

I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but the insert does look like the work of Joe Kubert.  That's inspired me to do a bit of research, though without much success.

The title "La Trêve" means "The Truce", and I can't identify any Sgt Rock story of which that might be a translation.  Unfortunately the GCD only has the cover scans for that series, the contents aren't detailed.  I've also found a French site that indexes the series, but again there's no information about the stories included (at least, not that I can identify using my limited French!).

The French site has a single interior image from the series.  It certainly isn't a Sgt Rock story, but it's from a different issue of Wham! than the one we're discussing.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

The Boy of Steel was puzzled on why he couldn't have a "Sweet Sixteen" party!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service