Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 135370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first team up series was The Brave and the Bold with issue 118.

However Jim Aparo really outdid himself with the next issue's cover.

While he could draw, ink, and letter; there are times when the less cover copy the better, like the above and the below.

But while his last interior work on the title was the above, Aparo still did the covers till issue 200 with B&B's cancellation and Batman and the Outsiders taking over that spot in DC's publication schedule. Out of those, I feel the following was his best, putting 2 of his most known/famous works together.

Aparo's Spectre work I first encountered in Adventure Comics, but that's a post for another day.

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

Lee, while Jim Aparo obviously drew the cover of Brave & Bold #199, the interiors were by Ross Andru and Rick Hoberg.

Thanks Philip for the confirmation, but unfortunately I was still editing my post when you posted.

Still, it's nice to have your friends watching out for you.

I love everything about this cover, including the fact that own the original color overlays. I have them framed with a mat's width between the acetates of each of the four providing a 3-D look.

An earlier favourite picked by Philip was World's Finest #223, which introduced him to the Legion with its reprint of "The Origin of the Composite Superman".  I'll pick the original appearance of the story in World's Finest #142 as one of my favourites.  Curiously, it has the same cover date, June 1964, as Adventure #321, one of my earlier choices, but I'm fairly sure that I acquired my copy of the Composite Superman tale several years later.

As an aside, every time I look at this cover, I find myself wondering what sort of super-power "flying disguise" might be.

To this day, I'm not sure if this story was trying to promote the Legion or cash in on it?

After meeting the Flash in the Justice League, Flash #111 was my first issue. The cover and the story were far from being favorites. My second Flash issue was #112, which introduced the Elongated Man. Even at a young age I doubted that Ralph could reach the fastest man on earth before Barry grabbed him.

Peter, I had that 'Composite Superman' down as one of my favourites, so your tastes definitely coincide with mine.  

And somewhere earlier today someone mentioned Joe Kubert, which reminded me of this cover. I love it because it's a cover drawn by a guy, depicting his own creations observing him sat at his easel.  That's quite hard to get your head around!  

Some self portraits, although not comic book covers

A look at the Kubert family from the framing sequence.  I wonder whatever became of the two youngest kids.

Steve W said:

Peter, I had that 'Composite Superman' down as one of my favourites, so your tastes definitely coincide with mine.  

And somewhere earlier today someone mentioned Joe Kubert, which reminded me of this cover. I love it because it's a cover drawn by a guy, depicting his own creations observing him sat at his easel.  That's quite hard to get your head around!  

The artist has conjured some imaginative otherworldly creatures for this cover. The one at the top left looks like a stylized snake's head atop the bones of a forearm.  The lower right features a snail crossed with someone having a bad night. The cover and story left a significant impression on me when I was a kid.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service