Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 135172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DC Super Stars #10 featured the delightfully bizarre Super-Heroes Vs Super-Villains Baseball Game! The premise is straight out of Super Friends, is against the motivations of the baddies especially the Joker and has an ending that is never fulfilled!

Still I love that they resisted making it a straight-up Justice League story by adding Robin, Kid Flash, Plastic Man and Uncle Sam!

I read James Robinson's great Starman series in TPB. I always loved this cover, and was surprised that it (and about half of the TPB covers) was not one of the original issue covers.

(I wish Tony Harris had drawn the entire series)

I'm loving all these September covers. I may collect them all and put them in a "faves" folder.

However I note it's the 13th September and I've only posted 10 covers. Therefore I'm falling behind - so two from me tonight.

So, two celebrations of the female form, although vastly different covers. The first comes from Avon Comics (June 1952) and was drawn and inked by Everett Raymond Kinstler. The sense of perspective here is exquisite. 

The second, and perhaps more traditional homage to the female form is Millie The Model #127 from March 1965. Once again, the editor is Stan Lee, and the cover is drawn and inked by Stan Goldberg. When I was younger, I never read a US romance comic, but I often admired the cover art on the spinners. I just couldn't pluck up the courage to take the comic to the vendor for fear of derision, or worse ,disapprobation.   Although, I realise, in retrospect, that the stories were very formulaic, and, to a pre-teenage boy, probably quite boring. 

From a simpler time, this is one of my personal favorites and also the oldest individual comic book I have in my collection.

I picked up Sensation 89 (cover date May 1949) for the princely sum of $5 (FIVE) dollars at a convention back in the 1990s. While a readable copy, the dealer had it pinned within a bag to the back wall of his booth for all to see, but apparently no one was interested in such an old issue, looking for whatever was "hot" at the moment instead.

I enjoyed it thoroughly from cover to cover, although found it odd that the Wildcat story in that issue had the notation "Sen(sation) 93" on the first page. Does that mean the story was originally scheduled for issue 93? Considering research shows #89 was his last Sensation appearance, your guess is as good as mine.

Research also shows 89 and 90 are the only two to bare the "Published in Canada" remark. All other issues read "A 52 page magazine" in that spot.

(Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

Mad does a pop-art collage thing for its fifth anniversary:

A series I enjoyed was The Occult Files of Dr. Spektor.  Don Glut developed an interesting cast of characters and a sense of continuity.  In this issue Dr. Solar joins the fun (and the Bronze Age).

My pick for yesterday, Stalker #1, had a cover date of July 1976.  The previous month had seen another sword-and-sorcery title from DC, Claw the Unconquered #1, which, being very much into sword-and-sorcery at the time, I also bought.

Claw seems to have been a bit more successful than Stalker, lasting for 12 issues (though with a hiatus of about 18 months between #9 and #10).  According to the GCD, the stories prepared for #13 and #14 finally appeared in Cancelled Comics Cavalcade, and there was a six-issue revival of the character in 2006, though I've not seen these later tales.

While not necessarily a "favorite", this one certainly was memorable ! 

Young me was a bit...disturbed at the prospect of becoming an active participant in a comic as opposed to being a passive reader!

The Molten Man was not one of Spider-Man's best villains, but he sure made a great cover.

Those Stalker and Claw take me back to the days I baought every first issue that came my way and the heady days of Atlas Comics.

Following on from the "Mad" 5th anniversary cover.  This cover by Howard Nostrand. Stories and art by Howard Nostrand, Nat Barnett and Bob Powell. After the success of MAD, every comics publisher tried their own version of a satire comic with a one-word title, and this was Harvey's. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service