Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lee Houston, Junior said:

[Gray Morrow] did a couple of Zatanna stories back in the early 1970s, although I've only seen them in reprints.

He also produced this DC Special Zatanna one-shot in 1987.  I bought it at the time because I liked the character, but I also vaguely knew the artist from his work on The Illustrated Roger Zelazny.  This is not a comic, but a book collection of Zelazny's SF and fantasy with illustrations, first published in 1978.  I own a small paperback reprint of the book from 1979, which really doesn't do his art justice.  The Zatanna Special, on the other hand, is truly gorgeous.

I loved the Hawk and The Dove original series, back in '68/69 and, just when I thought they had disappeared from the spinners, the comic below appeared in around May 1970.  My heroes were back! Albeit briefly...

incidentally, another Cardy cover.

Archie was never a big part of my comic-reading as a kid, but the gang from Riverdale need some representation this month. This first one creeped me out as a kid. I reread it as an adult and I have to say that the story holds up pretty well as a scary story for kids:

I saw this is a shop window in 1994 and bought it immediately. It predates the current era, where Archie routinely meets everyone:

And I own the t-shirt of this cover, which always draws comments:

Have we missed one of my favorite series so far this month.  How about Magnus, Robot Fighter.  I couldn’t decide on which cover, so I went with the purple robots.

Gold Key also had purple-garbed Klingons. I couldn't find any on a cover, so here's a genie wearing purple pants.

When I was young, my uncle gave me Asterix & the Goths. I was immediately fascinated by it and would get several more despite knowing nothing of the book's origin and history!

A purple McFarlane...

This is a neat cover, especially since it includes Snapper Carr and the first cover appearances of Superman and Batman on a Justice League cover. Also, Felix Faust wears a lot of purple.

A nice cover, though I need to reread it to decide how well they explained how the Flash could just start using GL's ring.

Disregarding their "chess pieces" appearance on #1, Superman and Batman actually first appeared on a JLA cover with #5 though one could easily miss them!

Richard Willis said:

This is a neat cover, especially since it includes Snapper Carr and the first cover appearances of Superman and Batman on a Justice League cover. Also, Felix Faust wears a lot of purple.

I started the day with a Cardy cover so I'll finish with one. This cover needs no introduction from me since I've posted it many times before, but I make no apologies for that as it's absolutely great!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service