Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Astrid, the youngest member of the First Family (think another FF) is bored. The second cover is the favorite, after she disappears.

Not much purple on my Johnny Thunder covers from earlier today.  So, how about a giant purple gorilla from the Revolutionary War?

A cute Alex Ross cover. I forget the characters' names, but one has a "wardrobe malfunction" while another gets an eyeful.

I forget the characters' names, but one has a "wardrobe malfunction" while another gets an eyeful.

I think you're referring to Officer Sung Li and Sergeant Kemlo Caesar, aka Girl One and Hyperdog?

Girl One is a synthetic human with bioengineered skin whose pigments she can control at will.  She doesn't wear any clothes, just colours her skin so that she seems to be wearing a costume with a constantly-shifting random pattern.  Hyperdog is a super-intelligent dog in an exoskeleton.  Being a dog, he's colour-blind, which means that he can't see her "costume", only her naked body.  He doesn't tell her this, leading her to assume that he's like all her other colleagues, who think that she's clothed.

Girl One is not pleased when she finds this out!

I bought Top 10 in collected editions, starting with this one, which I'd already picked out as a favourite.  It shows Hyperdog in the foreground, and Girl One just visible through the window immediately behind him.

Art by Gene Ha and Zander Cannon, who are also the interior artists.

"I think you're referring to Officer Sung Li and Sergeant Kemlo Caesar, aka Girl One and Hyperdog?"

The one who's having the "wardrobe malfunction" is Toy Box, dead center, behind the hand. (Note the expression on her face.) The one "getting the eyeful" is the woman between the "0" in the title and the border. (Follow her line of sight.) Man, I need to read this series again! (Baron Bizarre used to call me "Jaafs.") 

That's Jack Phantom aka Sgt. Jackie Kowalski. She is a lesbian and very earthy.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I think you're referring to Officer Sung Li and Sergeant Kemlo Caesar, aka Girl One and Hyperdog?"

The one who's having the "wardrobe malfunction" is Toy Box, dead center, behind the hand. (Note the expression on her face.) The one "getting the eyeful" is the woman between the "0" in the title and the border. (Follow her line of sight.) Man, I need to read this series again! (Baron Bizarre used to call me "Jaafs.") 

"Top 10" looks very interesting, Peter. I'll get the series and check it out.  Fab cover.

Here's the oldest cover in my top 30 collection, from November 1944.  Don'tcha just love it when there's lots going on on a cover. It's all happening here.  I'm guessing that this would've come out not long after the D Day landings, which, I guess was the biggest turning point in the war. Maybe some of that is reflected here.  Cover art by Alex Schomburg. 

It's become something of a cliché to claim that Mad became less creative over its run. Certainly, the first hundred issues had some fascinating covers that grasped the popgeist and gave attention to detail:

My favorite cliché concerning Mad magazine (which I happen to believe is true) is that Mad once was a magazine one would grow into, not out of

Here's another Purple Surfer. 

Superman vs. the Parasite from the Silver Age.  It’s possible I haven’t read these two since they first appeared.  These were different Superman tales.  As I remember them they were slugfests and atypical for Superman stories.  He was being beaten physically.

They really haven’t been reprinted in the US.  Action #340 was reprinted twice in the early 1980s in digests, and #361 has never been reprinted.  There is so much good stuff from the Silver Age Superman that has never been reprinted.

Also, Parasite is purple to keep with our emergent subtheme.

"There is so much good stuff from the Silver Age Superman that has never been reprinted."

You said it, brother!

When I read the first post-Crisis Parasite story, I thought he was a new character. It wasn't until sometime later I saw the cover to Action Comics #340 and learned that he was not. 

My first book with Swamp Thing!

Too bad Jim Aparo never got to draw a run on Swamp Thing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service