Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138954

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone's going to post this cover for Thanksgiving so it might as well be me.

(Sorry to jump the gun, but I'll be offline tomorrow for the holiday.) 

Here's a mock-up cover

and a real one

Wrong holiday, but Canadians had our Thanksgiving / Harvest Festival some time ago.

And there's only one more shopping month:

"There's no Santa! Presents come from red Dracula, a woman in patriotic underwear, and one of those pervy Greek gods."

Pilgrims and a JSA founding member

Not a cover but a page from All Star Comics #3 that proves it happened on Thanksgiving week!

And you know Johnny's thinking: "OH, the high and mighty Lord of Order and Wrath of God are so above pulling a full Thanksgiving dinner out of their...capes!"

Donald isn't a JSA member (unless he joined secretly) but I had to post this one.

For today, I'm interrupting the run of JSA:Strange Adventures covers that I've been posting.  Here's the closest I can find to a JSA Thanksgiving cover.  Sorry that it's not exactly celebratory!

It looks like the opening of the door at one of those infernal "Black Friday" sales:

This could have been a transition cover from Halloween into November.

At least this isn't the middle finger.

Back to JSA:Strange Adventures, with the final issue of the mini-series.  Johnny Thunder is back, and I'm relieved to see that the Thunderbolt has recovered from whatever had happened to it on the cover of issue #4.

Whew!

It appears that Wildcat was rushing into attack so fast that cover artist John Watson was only able to get his elbow into the picture.  Odd - I'd have expected that to happen to the Flash, if anyone.

When the JSA went south, the title went west.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service