Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138802

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Church & State. (Technically, this is a trade paperback cover. Sue me.)

Okay, okay… This is my favorite issue of Spawn.

(I’ll bet you didn’t know I even had a favorite issue of Spawn, did you?)

I think this does it for Cobalt Man covers for me.

June 1979, CEREBUS the AARDVARK #10, artwork and script by Dave Sim, published by Aardvark-Vanaheim.

Thanks Steve, apologies, I've never been very good at the image posting, I went looking for tips, too!

Number One Son looks a tad Kirbyesque.

Steve W said:

And following @Martin Gray's posting earlier today, Charlton also published CHARLIE CHAN for a while, after acquiring the title from a defunct publication.  Artwork here is by none other than the one and only Kirby!

Captain Hurricane, who featured for a long time in Valiant:

Incidentally, thanks for the info guys, both on Charlie Chan and Nyoko. Didn't know any of that stuff. Much appreciated.

And yes @Martin Gray, I agree - number one son flying image on Charlie Chan cover looks very much like some of the images from covers from The Forever People, some years later!

"I think this does it for Cobalt Man covers for me."

Here's another one for ya, Dave.

Jeff,

Thanks.  I found the following over at Wikipedia:

"Cobalt Man was created by writer Roy Thomas and penciller Werner Roth in X-Men #31 (April, 1967).

"The character subsequently appears in X-Men #34 (July 1967), #79 (December 1973), The Incredible Hulk #173-175 (March–May 1974), The Defenders #42-43 (December 1976-January 1977), Hulk: Nightmerica #1 (August 2003), Avengers/Thunderbolts #1 (May 2004), and Civil War #1 (July 2006), in which he died. He appeared posthumously in Marvel Spotlight Civil War: Aftermath #1 (March 2007).

"A Skrull version of Cobalt Man, for the Secret Invasion storyline, appears in Captain Marvel #2-3 (February–March 2008).

"Cobalt Man received an entry in the Marvel Legacy: The 1970s Handbook #1 (2006)."

If I hunt around the house, I should be about to find X-Men #34 (in Essentials) and the Defenders issues, which were completely off my radar screen.

I do have a "Cobalt Man" cover planned for tomorrow.

Slightly earlier than the first appearance of Cobalt Man was the first appearance of CALLING ALL GIRLS, which first appeared in September 1941. This issue dates from July 1942.  I love the strapline "The Modern Magazine for Girls and Sub-Debs"!

Steve W said:

Slightly earlier than the first appearance of Cobalt Man was the first appearance of CALLING ALL GIRLS, which first appeared in September 1941. This issue dates from July 1942.  I love the strapline "The Modern Magazine for Girls and Sub-Debs"!

Was the Cobalt Man in that one?

And from July 1954, comes the 1st issue of The CLUTCHING HAND, published by ACG. Cover artwork (including inks) is by Ken Bald.

It's the 9th of January. Has anyone posted any CONAN yet?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service