Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 69389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Horrors!

Steve W said:

A riverbank is like a beach, right?

Some odds and ends.  It’s hard to believe we are getting close to the end of the month already.  I still have a bunch of beaches (and shorelines) in my files.

I’d wager they are standing on a beach.

There appears to be the hint of a beach along that river.

And a couple of shorelines.

Peter Wrexham said on August 12, 2019 at 2:33pm:

Is this the tiniest beach we've yet seen?

Here's one that appears to be even smaller.

I live near the seaside, and once got mugged for a sandwich by a seagull that dived at me from behind, and snatched it out my hand.  I regard them as just a noisy nuisance, rats of the air.

Not everyone agrees with me.

The island in the background seems to have only two trees versus three in the other covers.

Peter Wrexham said:

Peter Wrexham said on August 12, 2019 at 2:33pm:

Is this the tiniest beach we've yet seen?

Here's one that appears to be even smaller.

Gold Key put more money into their covers than their interiors. Having said that, the Time Tunnel series lasted only two issues, with three stories in the first issue and two in the second. The cover-featured story here, "The Conquerors," is the lead story of #2. Here's the set-up...

"Plucked from the time zone of one age, Doctors Anthony Newman and Doug Phillips whirl through the vortex of time, as Operation: Tic Toc, in rescuing them from one peril, thrusts them into another alien period."

Got that? They arrive in a time travel laboratory of what they soon discover is the year 2068. Time Travel is against the law in this era, but this lab is run by a group of uniformed Nazis. They are led by "Fuhrer II" (who looks an awful lot like "Fuhrer I"), whose plan is to send three of his men back to Normandy Beach on June 6, 1944 to thwart the D-Day invasion.

"Had our German ancestors thrown back the invaders, time would have been gained for Germany to perfect her V-bombs and our Nazi predecessors would have won the war! We would rule the world as befits a superior race! that will be made to happen by reversing the outcome of D-Day!"

Tony and Doug slip their bonds, remove two of the "fuhrer missiles" from their crate, and slip inside. the plan is for the Nazis to fire all of the missiles in ten minutes, then return and report. they do manage to fire four before Tony and Doug knock them out and slip iny=to two of their uniforms. Upon returning to 2068, their plan is to slip away and alert the authorities, but they are immediately recognized by Fuhrer II. they have no choice but to send one of the missiles into the time machine, throwing them back into the time stream.

"Once more into the vortex of time and chance the two scientists are hurled, escaping one certain peril to confront even greater possible dangers!"

This one took place along the New England coast with a definite "Dark Shadows" vibe!

And what's a beach without wizards?

"I put on my sunblock and wizard hat."

1 week to go and I still have a stack of romance beach covers to post.

I have a week's worth of stuff, too, so we should all go back and make sure we're not, you know, reposting anything.

*cough*

Steve W said:

1 week to go and I still have a stack of romance beach covers to post.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service