Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 124651

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This band of heroes feature a cat-themed adventurer, and he met a cat-woman named "Mandu" in their first full (non-cameo appearance) Marvel adventure:

See the source image  

From 1959.

Anybody still wondering why BALCKHAWK was on the rocks?

What? What? What is the startling secret of the King of the Cats?

I know there will dozens of fantastic cat pictures coming up this month, but, to me, this particular drawing takes some beating.

Detective Comics #311(JAN63) introduced an almost identical Cat-Man to Batman's rogue's gallery. Jack Schiff, also the editor of Blackhawk, must have decided that copying himself wasn't a problem. Detective Comics #325(MAR64) wasn't his first appearance but the cover was almost the same as the Blackhawk cover.

Kevin Ahearn said:

See the source image  

From 1959.

Anybody still wondering why BALCKHAWK was on the rocks?

There have been quite a few characters called Cat-Man or Catman.

Yeah, the latter is Oedi... Oedi Puss, get it? Get it? 

I wasn't aware of Batman #69(FEB-MAR52). According to GCD, the cover story was written by Bill Finger. Detective #318(AUG63) had the Kathy Kane Batwoman tricking Cat-Man into thinking she was joining him in a life of crime. For some reason, like Two-Face, they had dropped Selina Kyle in those years. What, he was too scary and she was too sexy?

Philip Portelli said:

What? What? What is the startling secret of the King of the Cats?

Seems the evil cat-people made a return in the 90s...

I'd just like to point out that, thanks to this thread, I now have the Cat-Man Theme Song* stuck in my head.

*The Cat-Man Theme Song is exactly like the Batman Theme Song, but with all the "na-na"s replaced with "meow-meow"s.**

**You're welcome.

For day five:

(I wonder how many fourth and fifth years of their original mission that crew of the Enterprise has had)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service